1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New Garage Floor

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Pster, Jun 19, 2010.

1. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Pster

Pster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Quikrete brand (made by Valspar) 2 part Epoxy base coat in Covered Bridge tint ith tan flakes and 2 part Clearcoat Epoxy top coat.

Garage Epoxy Base Coat with Flakes with Clear Coat009.jpg
    Garage Epoxy Base Coat with Flakes 010.jpg

2. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Very Nice! Is this the cabin garage or home?

3. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:30 PM
    senor taco

senor taco ROLLIN ON RUST

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Monterey Bay, Ca
    Vehicle:
    O7 Tacoma PreRunner SR5
    17in fj cruiser wheels satoshi grille with devil horns emblem Single in double out 50 series flowmaster with stainless tips Kenwod ddx512 double din touch screen DVD reciver with a single Rockford fosgate 12 in sub with an alpine amp tinted tail and third break light silverstar head and fog lights k&n drop in Billy 5100's on all 4 corners with a 2"AAL
    Looks great!

4. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:33 PM
    Trap

Trap Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Indego Ink TRD OR
    Electric Tail Gate Lock, EZ Down + Cable Mod, Galvanized Underbody, DK 9000, CloudRider SS Grill insert. BakFlip HD, Cabin Air Filter mod, Alarm, Zero Rust !
    Ya but where is the hoist ?

5. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:37 PM
    s2studio

s2studio Well-Known Member

Member:
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma DC 4x4
    Looks awesome! Great job man

6. Jun 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    Wow...that's a nice garage!

7. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:00 PM
    afd23a

afd23a Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    x2!!

8. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:02 PM
    Incognito

Incognito No better friend, no worse enemy

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    Spacer lift, bumper stickers, ejector seat, etc.
    Nice! Looks great!

9. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:03 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Mountain house garage.

10. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    Fern

Fern TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    285/70R17 COOPER STT PRO | MOTO METAL 957 | 3" 885 COIL LIFT W/ AAL | MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER | AVID OFFROAD LIGHTBAR W/ 22" LED BAR
    BADASS BRO!! I'm actually start that exact same project too but gonna do it in dark blue. Just gotta replace some sheetrock first and paint the walls. Was the Quikrete kit pretty easy to do?

11. Jun 19, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    SlurpeeBlueMetallic

SlurpeeBlueMetallic FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

Member:
    Looks great! I'm adding that to my admittedly lengthy wish list.

12. Jun 20, 2010 at 8:10 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Yes, the quickrete base coat and clear sealant are very good and easy to use. HOWEVER, the BondKote that comes with it and claims to be a degreaser and etcher DOES NOT WORK. Consider it a dgreaser only. If you need to etch, you will HAVE to use Muritatic acid. I used the Bondkote twice and finally pissed it off and used acid. Be VERY careful with the acid, it's powerful stuff. No matter what is says on the box, it takes a full 30 days to totally cure and I personally am only putting vehicles on it with cardboard under the tires after a full week. ALSO, FOLLOW THE AMBIENT TEMPERATURE HUMIDITY INSTRUCTIONS ON THE LABEL!!!! Also, if you use the 2 part epoxy, your ONLY use the 2 part clear coat. DO NOT MIX 1 PART BASE or SEALER with 2 PART BASE OR SEALER (you willl REALLY regret this mistake.....will ruin the floor).

13. Jun 20, 2010 at 9:44 AM
    Fern

Fern TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    285/70R17 COOPER STT PRO | MOTO METAL 957 | 3" 885 COIL LIFT W/ AAL | MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER | AVID OFFROAD LIGHTBAR W/ 22" LED BAR
    ^^ Thanks for the info. I'll let ya know how it comes out.

14. Jun 20, 2010 at 10:11 AM
    waynesworld

waynesworld Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    wayne
    hampton ,va
    Vehicle:
    05 trd off road 4x4 dcsb auto silver streak
    rancho lift 2in rs9000shocks on front,avs in channel vent visors,tacoma entry guards,oem bed extender,weathertech floor mats,access vanish bed cover,tailgate mod ,alpine stereo,xm stereo.trd skidplate.mobil 1 extended performance oil, avid light bar
    good job dude.where did u buy it from , and how much was it ?did it take long 2 do entire job? :confused:

15. Jun 20, 2010 at 10:46 AM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    My garage is basically 2 1/3 single cars dimensionally, so I bought 3 of everything. It took 2 1/2 cans to do the base coat but I covered the entire floor with only 2 cans of the clearcoat top coat. The coverage areas on the cans are pretty accurate: the base I think covers 200 sq feet and the clearcoat 300. The key to doing this correctly is in the floor prep. The acid eats away some of the cement surface and it is very important to thoroughly wash this cement dust off the surface...using a large floor squegee is a HUGE help...the epoxy will not bond well if there is powdery cement dust left on the surface. I used a 50/50 mix of 31% Muriatic acid because my floor surface had been troweled very, very smoothly so it had a dense surface layer. You should get your floor to where it feels like at least 50-80 grit sandpaper when you run your hand over it. I will tell you this, this epoxy bonds extremely well with the cement and Quikrete claims the cement surface will pull away before the paint does and I believe them. For this reason, the stuff is not supposed to lift under hot tires. I'll let you know in a couple months if this true.

I bought a pair of spiked sandals to where to walk on the wet paint to sprinkle the color flakes. I ended up not useing them as I painted small areas at a time.....but if you want to paiint a larger area and walk over the paing, the spikes are necessary. I had some flake clumping because I had to reach out and throw flakes. You will get a better flake dispersion wearing the spikes. I paid $25+shipping for them, if anypone wants them, I will sell for $12.5 plus shipping.

16. Jul 19, 2010 at 4:28 PM
    Fern

Fern TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4
    Hey Pster,

How long did ya let it dry before ya started walking and parking in there again? I put on the 2nd coat of clearcoat Saturday morning and left it alone to dry ( I only used 1 can of clearcoat ). Its pretty hot here so it dried up pretty quick. I'm planning on putting up posters tomorrow and other things.

17. Jul 19, 2010 at 4:32 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Fern, I called Valspar (they make this for Quikrete) and they told me that the epoxy technically doesn't fully cure for 30 days. They told me to put cardboard under the tires until then. I also think the humidity in the air affects the cure time. To be safe, just put down some cardboard after about 72 hours and you should be ok.

18. Jul 19, 2010 at 4:34 PM
    Pster

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    I haven't put my second coat of clearcoat on yet. Does it look noticeably better than one coat? I did notice that if water gets on the coating before it fully dries, you may get a white hazy spot. I think this stuff really reacts with moisture in a bad way.

19. Jul 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM
    Fern

Fern TEXAS IS HOT!

Member:
    First Name:
    Fernando
    San Antonio,Tx
    Vehicle:
    '12 SUPERWHITE SPORT 4x4

Thanks for the info bro. Both my girl & I noticed a good difference after the 2nd coat. It just amazed me that it didn't take alot of the clearcoat to cover the entire garage even for 2 coats. That stuff was very waterbased. I noticed the haze when it dried if it was in a small puddle when I didn't roll it out evenly on the 1st coat. I think its worth it to put on a 2nd coat.

20. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    macgyver

macgyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Canton, GA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Tundra double cab SR5 4x4
    NICE! looks great! I plan on doing this to my garage in the fall when I build the cabinets in there. I love the look of the clear top coat.

Products Discussed in

To Top