1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A little worried about my sliders...

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by 98SR5Red, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Jun 27, 2010 at 12:57 PM
    98SR5Red

98SR5Red [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Hey all, I recently saw a thread that someone posted about a set of sliders that got welded on wrong. Some mounting plates or brackets were mentioned. Im a little curious as to what these plates/brackets come into the picture. The PO of my truck had the sliders welded in this fashion...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

is this correct ot asking for trouble? All 6 (3 on each side are done this way? Whatcha think?

Thanks!

2. Jun 27, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    That second photo...the mount pads would be between the mounting pole/gusset and the frame. It'd be a square piece of steel.

The gussets are a good thing tho....altho they are not welded completely to the top or all the way out the slider arm.

Could be done better- but if you haven't had any issues so far- I wouldn't worry too much...but that my opinion.

3. Jun 27, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    m0nster986

m0nster986 ♥ Emergency Medicine

Member:
    SoCal
    I don't see any brackets... you're as screwed as the other guy in the other thread. =)

4. Jun 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM
    BajaTaco96

BajaTaco96 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Silver Springs, FL
    Vehicle:
    1996 Toyota Tacoma 4wd, 3" suspension lift
    K&N, ToyTec 3" front spacers, 3" Fabtech AAL's, Flowmaster exhuast, no cat, Exedy Stage 2 clutch
    Those sliders stick way the fawk out. :eek:

Look more like they serve the purpose of a step more so than a slider. The pair I just ordered have brackets on the end to weld to the frame, and gussets pretig'd on. Mine are made to fit close to the body and tilt upward slightly just outside the body.

5. Jun 27, 2010 at 2:30 PM
    WNYTACOMA

WNYTACOMA Well-Known Member

Member:
    Clarence, New York
    Vehicle:
    09 Metalic Grey TRD OFF ROAD
    Toyota Nerf steps Bugflector 2 Tool box Weathertech floor liners Wet Okole F/R - Bk/Char
    The guy who did it didn't happen to charge you a 'case of beer' for the install, did he?...

6. Jun 27, 2010 at 2:35 PM
    DWreck

DWreck Famous Retrieval Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Plasti-dip paint, TRD S/C, MCM Fab LT kit, bunches of my fab
    Scary, I would definetely rethink those!
    And only 3 attach points? The should hold up to a tumbleweed but nothing more harsh!

7. Jun 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    jefferson

jefferson needs to stop cruising Buy/Sell/Trade....

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    San Diego (North Park!), CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    Yup. too far out and the gussets should be on the bottom.. not on the top. and some rustoleum woulda been nice. I say chop them off, make a plate for the slider to weld to and then to the frame, angle up a bit, reweld the gussets on the bottom, rustoleum paint, and you'd be set. :)

8. Jun 27, 2010 at 3:12 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Don't forget to add a plate to weld to the frame! Tubes direct to frame=BAD! Just ask the folks on Powerblock!

9. Jun 27, 2010 at 3:32 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
    toyota brand hitch and uhaul wiring harness, fog lamps on anytime, bed lamps, map lights on with dome, day time running lamps, remove secondary air filter, painted bumper grill, Double Din touch screen stereo, Sockmonkey custom SR5 decal, door & seatbelt bells disabled, painted engine cover, installed compass/temperature overhead console, failed mod: passenger side auto down window switches, weathertech front mats, RedLine hood struts, Cheap Beep piezo buzzer locking beep, 5100s in the front set at 2.5, 5100s in the rear, AAL, hitch safe, revenge fab sliders, bed bar, prerunner light, cb wired
    YESSSSSS true forgot bout that
    true true

10. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:06 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Without a scab plate, if you come down hard on one of those sliders it will tear your frame open like a can opener, and while those gussets look like a good idea they will probably make it that much easier to cut into the frame

11. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:19 PM
    jefferson

Member:
    First Name:
    Sex Panther
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner SR5
  12. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:35 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport
    New truck....so nothing yet
    Im the "other member" who got screwed. Trust me dude, get it fixed. I am gonna get mine done ASAP.

13. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM
    98SR5Red

98SR5Red [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Maine/New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    98 SR5
    Sway-Away racerunners up front, Downey leafsprings (5 pack) and Bilstein 5125's in back, 2" body lift, K&N/AEM air intake, Energy Bushings, Nology plug wires, Custom front/rear bumpers and sliders. Downey header and custom exhuast from there back.
    Hey thanks you guys for the insight. Looks like Ive got some cutting to do and some metal shops to visit. The guy said the only offroading he did was just in the woods so I think those were more for the purpose of fending of tree than holding the weight of the truck.

14. Jun 27, 2010 at 4:52 PM
    brutalguyracing

brutalguyracing BIG DADDY

Member:
    F.U> GUYZ
    broken mods
    just so you guys know the gussets go on top "not the bottom"

15. Jun 27, 2010 at 5:30 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit

Maybe I misunderstood...But why would you want gussets on teh BOTTOM. They are meant to provide extra stability when the sliders are loaded...and that mean compression going up...so the gussets on top would help more, at least I think....

16. Jun 27, 2010 at 5:34 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    i know! :d

17. Jun 27, 2010 at 5:46 PM
    cummins6speed

cummins6speed Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '05 4Runner Limited Edition
    Custom extended travel 2.5" King RR coilovers, 1.25" Camburg uniball uppers, homebuilt tube bumper
    Maybe he rolls his truck a lot and likes to be able to hang the truck on the sliders upside down:D

18. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:03 PM
    84socal

84socal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    the hated mother fucker
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    84 toyota rock crawler
    lots and lots of dents
    ur fine broski the taco frames dont look any thinner that a 84 pick up i have mine welded on the frame directly like that with no gussets and no plate of any sorts i have 3 consecutive years of extremly hard wheeling on them at the hammers i bent the outer tube on the slider but the frame is fine and straight i doubt u will ever hit them hard enough to rip them from ur frame these guys are all talk

19. Jun 27, 2010 at 6:13 PM
    DWreck

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tacoma Smurf Truck
    Talk to any "real" fabber or builder, never weld directly to the frame with tubing!

20. Jun 27, 2010 at 7:39 PM
    84socal

84socal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    the hated mother fucker
    chino hills
    Vehicle:
    84 toyota rock crawler
    lots and lots of dents
    must be a good thing im not a "REAL" fabber of builder then but i know how to beat the piss outs of things and see how much abuse they can take

a "REAL" builder never uses a mig welder either

its ok i dont know how to weld very good do i ????

Image060_675762b482ac4b6b4922653dfc2e6f6bce1e2184.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top