1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

noobie decision on shocks and coils?

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by ilove_taco_ma, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Jul 4, 2010 at 1:43 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

ilove_taco_ma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    nothing, all stock expect got a OE replacement air filter K&N.
    hey there TW, I've been looking for shocks upgrades for my 95 tacoma ext cab 4wd. its stock including suspension. right now, my shocks are somewhat bad, can feel the truck getting bad contacts when going through dirt roads, bad roads and sharp turns. so I'd been researching a lot, seems that most members here recommend bilstein 5100. I also find other shocks that's interesting such as ome and rancho 9000xl, are the rancho good to buy? the ome are somewhat higher price than my budget. I just want shocks for now and lift my truck later on the year when I have the funding. i don't do long off road this truck I use it almost daily sometimes off road for fishing and hunting. i know this is a long thread, but I like you guys to give me some options for shocks, lift kit later. should i add a leaf and a spacer while i'm upgrading the shocks. i'm thinking about minimum 2-2.5 inch lift for front and rear. can i replace the old shocks with the just bilstein and use the factory coil springs? or better to upgrade the coil springs as well to get a good set since i'm already replacing the shocks. again, sorry for the long paragraphs. thanks for reading see if you guys can give me a tip here.

IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1745.jpg
    IMG_1746.jpg

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    mlittle

mlittle T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    What is your current budget? It seems that most people would recommend going with the Bilstein 5100s all around and new coils up front. If your leafs are still good, go with a AAL. If they're not, go with a new leaf pack.

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:26 AM
    2000yota

2000yota Toyota FTW

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport
    im with you one of my shocks are out and i have to get 4 new shocks and at the same time i want a lift and i have some worn out leaf springs so im in a bind :confused: eventually ill get new leafs and coils but for now i just want shocks

4. Jul 6, 2010 at 8:52 AM
    ETaco23

ETaco23 Marshall offroad Fabrication

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    13' Pyrite Mica TRD Offroad DCSB 4x4
    Color Match Grille, Bed mat, Kings with JBA UCA's, Dakars and 34" BFG KM3, Snugtop Canopy, and my "Marshall Fabrication" Rock Sliders.
    I think the 5100's would be a great shock for ya guys. Bc you can keep at 0, and untill you get all your lift parts, depending on what you want. You can then have the 5100's set at 2.5" of lift. Or get some new OME coils, to give you lift, and keep your 5100's at 0".
    But with rear, like said before, if your leafs are still good, then just go with a AAL. But if not, wheelersoffroad has great leaf packs.

5. Jul 6, 2010 at 4:59 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX

my budget is 600 or less. thats including 4 new shocks around and coils and hopefully aal. leaf pack is out of my budget for now. can i just lift the shocks with coils in the front up to 2'' alone without spacers or whatsoever kits out there?

6. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX

thanks!!! I go with your options. thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top