1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Maybe This Mod Will Work For The Tacoma?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by myname150, Jul 6, 2010.

1. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:50 PM
    myname150

myname150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    So i was on youtube and i found this video of a guy and his FJ installing an A-TRAC switch when his FJ didnt come with one, and upon installing the switch himself, his FJ now has the ability to use A-TRAC.

It got me thinking, it's probally easier and cheaper for toyota to just wire the same/similar dash for all the different models, since all that guy had to do was just buy a swtich...maybe we can put in a switch to activate the "Auto LSD"...maybe the same for VSC and Traction Control. (we, as in those who have a tacoma pre-2009,since a Automatic Limited Slip was optional then...anyways their "ALSD" isnt a true limited slip, it just uses the brakes to control wheel slip)

Anyone think its possible?

Youtube vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GT8E7BGYzns

Here are some pictures i took from the tach area of my truck
    IMG_5293-1_428aa0bc19b6be6842a07497e07d0d05bc4cc7ec.jpg

Available switches:
    IMG_5294-1_ea38b7b3a9a8ade3c845890ceb19b14905a01c3b.jpg

2. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:53 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Question has already been asked. Answer is no.

Non-TRD Tacos (2009 and newer) do not have the hydraulic brake booster necessary for A-TRAC. There are other bits missing as well.

I disagree 100%. Whether the limited slip system uses the ABS or a clutch pack to control wheelspin and put the torque to the ground is immaterial - if it limits slippage, it's a true limited slip system. It's even arguable the ABS method Toyota uses puts less stress on the drivetrain overall (though it's likely a moot point - limited slip clutch packs are almost unkillable).

You could make the argument that it's not a limited slip *differential*, but meh, lockers belong in diffs, not clutch packs.

3. Jul 6, 2010 at 5:59 PM
    myname150

myname150 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ah oh well. nevermind then LOL.

Products Discussed in

To Top