1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

easiest way to fit 33x12.50x16?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by fitryders2, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Jul 7, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    fitryders2

fitryders2 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    shawn
    virginia
    Vehicle:
    07 trd sport
    thats what i as thinking. thanks for all the input guys. definately helped clear some stuff up.

2. Jul 7, 2010 at 11:20 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    On a Rock in the middle of the Pacific
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    Sorry for the late reply. I believe we did go over this before, and I thought you understood???
    But NO! If you look at; lets say TC UCA's they are almost at its full drop with a 3" lift.

They offer better range than the stock ball joints. But because of their set angle it still doesn't do any greater movement.

And actually the LCA's are the part of this equation.

I know this from first hand experience NOT hear say, or guessing.

I have produced additional mis-alignment spacers to work with the TC's:
    IMG_0545_ef97ce5764081d02d1f1d48e4daacce635c92bd1.jpg

IMG_0556_a6a5d9a056f27febe8ed292aa919584e32a64c4d.jpg

IMG_0554_4cea00b8608f7f6f61abed26eb8bf419f50cf74f.jpg

But still the LCA's are nearing their limits.

I've done the R&D so I can comment on this with absolute certainty!

If you have any data to prove otherwise? I would be more than happy to hear what it is?

3. Jul 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    21' TRD OffRoad 2" 887 OME on Bilstein 5100's. 285/70R17 General Grabbers G3 17x8.5" Icon TRD wheels (Gun metal gray) 4.75" BS
    You are correct! Even the stock tire will rub depending on how the alignment is set up!

The wheel space of these trucks aren't designed to accommodate serious offroading. That doesn't seem to be a big concern for Toyota.

4. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:17 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have taken the measurements side by side with OEM UCA's, and have seen more droop from the TC arms. As well as the Camburg.

5. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:25 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    And the spacer you made to raise the UCA is going to increase the leverage of any lateral load you have, odds are, exceeding the strength of that bolt, and causeing a major failure. I ran the pic by a guy I know who builds vehicles, and his response:

I think your "R&D" is flawed.

6. Jul 8, 2010 at 6:34 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
  7. Jul 8, 2010 at 10:50 AM
    toku58

toku58 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Mall Crawler!
    Again, like I stated before stock UCA are very limited. Have you taken the measurements from a set of LR UCA ball joints??
    LR's have a lot more angularity capability. One of the main reasons that TC, Camburg have an increased range is the inner clearance for the coils of the strut.

As for leverage on the bolt? Your friend is Absolutely correct! This is why I know that a 3" lift is so limited. My R&D isn't flawed! Those spacers were made as part of the R&D process to prove the limitation of the uniball joint range of articulation as it sits on a 3" lift!
    (The ball joint isn't limited! It's the angle it sits on a 3" lift that makes it LIMITED!) But it is part of the design! It is designed to be that way.

That is why even with the spacers it is NOT a good solution! And why I keep trying to tell you that the UCA like Camburg and TC are limited on down travel! They may have more than the stock UCA, but they don't have more than the LR UCA. (Which is a Ball joint similar to the stock joint)
    DISCLAIMER:
    (((I am NOT pushing LR's! Because they have just as much FLAWS as any other UCA's out there! Each have good and bad points. You need to decide which good points you are looking for?)))

There is NO simple solution to fixing the LIMITED down travel of a 3" lift on a stock suspension. (And I am NOT talking about a LT set up!)
    That is why a DB has more useable range of travel!
    UCA's, UCA spacers? Still your limiting factor is the LCA's!! And the increased angles being applied to the stock configuration.

With the spacers The UCA's sit almost level. But without the spacers the UCA's sit so low that they have LESS drop capability than the angle that a DB set up has.

I offer my experience here to help others have a better insight into what they are getting into when doing lifts. I, in no way believe any lift is perfect!
    They all have their flaws!
    Do not look at any part, or component that you install on your vehicle as "perfect" simply because they were manufactured by a reputable company! (most companies NEVER work out ALL the bugs)

But for me to need to go into basic angles and indepth explanation of these simple concepts is really a big PITA!

I believe, that I have provided enough info to allow others to make a reasonable decision, or at the very least make them realize that All lift have areas that may disappoint them!

Products Discussed in

To Top