1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HID headlights... low beam only? help!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by clintonjeffries, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:33 AM
    clintonjeffries

clintonjeffries [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    So I'm looking at ordering this kit off ebay, it looks sick! I want the black headlights, and these are especially black without the side orange reflectors... to top it all off I'm liking the idea of the HID conversion kit, but in the description it says "H4 bulb (single low beam only, no high beam)"

So I think its obvious that there are no high beams... is that normal? Are there bulbs that I could add to this that would be hi and low? I don't know anything about the way HID lights, or regular lights for that matter, work.

input is appreciated, these would look sick :)

[​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    hids do not have high beam......especially the set you bought......now the set i have does have high bea, from ddm.....but its just a selonoid that brings a cover over to redirect the light

3. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:37 AM
    crf69

crf69 scraping my emblems off my plasti-dip

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD OR BSP cab'n 1/2
    ummm yeah
    low beam is all that is needed in my honest opinion

4. Jul 9, 2010 at 11:42 AM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    6" stage 1 Procomp lift, 18" matte black XD Monsters, 33" Nitto Trail Grapplers, AMP Research Electric Steps, Grillcraft upper and lower grill, Paint matched tailgate handle, Black headlights w/ black corners & reflectors, 6k HID in heads and fogs, tint, RED badges, red brake calipers, black brake drums, flowmaster exhaust, black shorty antenna, remote start, iPod interface, Weathertech floormats front and rear
    ok sweet, this look like a pretty decent deal to you? I know the black headlights are generally just over $100 shipped, so tack on the HID conversion kit and the fact that these housings are hopefully configured for HID, an additional $80 basically to do it all in one shot... thoughts?

5. Jul 9, 2010 at 12:37 PM
    silverback

silverback Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    central CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prerunner SR5
    painted door handles, bilstein 5100's front and back, K&N air filter. Precision power component speakers and Kenwood deck.
    The housing is not configured to run HID bulbs. You would need the projector retro fits. I run the hid H/L 6000k 35w in my stocks housing and have been flashed maybe 2 times in a year. I (knock on wood) have never been pulled over for them either. I like the fact that there is no line in my light pattern that you would get with the projector style. I recommend to stay with the 35w bulb. The above poster is right, you dont need high beams but I did it because I drive dark country roads.

6. Jul 9, 2010 at 12:40 PM
    cohrmundt

cohrmundt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cullen
    TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD SPORT 4X4
    4.88 nitro gears, Detroit rear, Projector headlights, Relentless Fab custom bumpers and sliders, 6" Pro Comp suspension, all pro leafs, 37x13.5x17 toyo open country tires, method racing wheels, Flowmaster exhaust w/cutout, DTLT headers, K&N CAI, URD MAF calibrator, grillcraft grill with 30" and 20" led bars behind, windshield mounted 50" led bar, Infinity 6x9 speakers, Custom box w/MTX 7500 10"sub, MTX 1200 watt amp, blue led gauge cluster and radio mod, URD short shifter, fiberwerx fenders
    X2

7. Jul 9, 2010 at 12:41 PM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    perfect, thanks for all the good info guys, I just ordered them, will post how they look/work in a couple weeks

8. Jul 9, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I have those same headlights on my Super White Tacoma and they are pretty good. Just make sure to watch out for any water that gets in. Mine were good for about 2 years until my driver side started leaking. I just resealed it and now its just fine. I also got 55w 6k HID's in them with the hi/low function. Reason I got the bi-xenons is because of dumb ass drivers I like to hi beam!!!

9. Jul 9, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    clintonjeffries

Member:
    First Name:
    Clinton
    Wenatchee, WA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 SR5 super white
    haha yeah I need to be able to flash people still... are those bulbs you got with the hi/low function just a different bulb? or is there any other conversion you have to do in addition to what I'm getting? also what did you seal with, silicone?

10. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:29 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    I believe there is something else in the wiring harness for bi/xenon kits and not just the bulb themselves but dont quote me on that. Yeah I just used some silicone to reseal it.

11. Jul 9, 2010 at 5:33 PM
    xroller

xroller Blowin by em sideways

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Albuquerque New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tacoma Xrunner Speedway Blue
    1 hp mod
    I have hi/lo hids from ddm. 12k with a 55w slim ballast.... The suckers are bright and I get flashed constantly..... It's ok though.... It's what I prefer and it lets me see a lot farther. I have hids in my fog lights too. 3k 35w slim ballast..... all around I love my set up. I'm sure you will love yours too.

12. Jul 9, 2010 at 6:36 PM
    Razorecko

Razorecko Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 Pyrite DCLB TRD Supercharged
    ^ with my lift i had to ditch the oem headlights and go to ebay projector style to get a hard cutoff on the lights. Now i roll with both 55w hids for both low and fogs and have no issues at all

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top