1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Did Discount Tire mess up my rims?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by whitetaco02, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:09 PM
    whitetaco02

whitetaco02 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Tinted windows, stainless steel drop hitch, rear TSB, Marathon seat covers in Realtree AP camo, low profile chrome toolbox, husky liners front and back, debadged
    Okay, so I got some Duratracs put on today but now I have a problem.

When I got home, I noticed on two of my rims where there were some scuff/nick marks. It looks like that is where the weights used to be.

My question is: Is this something that Discount tire could have prevented from happening?

Is it the result of Toyota?

I never had these stock tires balanced, just rotated, as I never had any troubles with them.

What should I do? What would you all do? Here are some pics of the damage. I can assure you that my rims did NOT look like that when I brought them in there!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:11 PM
    Andrew H

Andrew H What is this "search" you speak of?

Member:
    Dirty Tucson
    Vehicle:
    2017SSMDCSBTRDS
    Its possible. They messed up balancing my tires when I first got my Duratracs. Took them back a couple days later and they said that some of the tires were up to 5 ounces off.

But my wheels were still in the perfect condition that I dropped them off in... They do good work but who knows what kind of guy they had working on your set up.

3. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:14 PM

747 function > form

Member:
    Vehicle:
    1st Gen.
    It's been my experience that the "clamp on" style weights leave marks vs. the "stick on" weights. Couldn't hurt to address the issue w/them though.

4. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:15 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    If they removed weights then it mighta happened while they were doing that...They probably coulda been more careful- but with those lip clip weights- Kinda sucks...

One of the reasons I only get the weights on the inside of the wheel...

5. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:17 PM
    Reaper10

Reaper10 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Oak Harbor, Washington
    Vehicle:
    '10 Silver DC 4x4 TRD OR
    Billstein 5100's all around, ToyTec coilovers up front, ToyTec 1.5" AAL in the rear with TSB leaf springs, Light Racing Upper Control Arms, XD Revolvers in Black wrapped in 265/70/17 BFG TA/KOs, AFE Pro Dry S Airfilter, Pioneer AVIC-X920BT in-dash NAVI, Devil Horns by Andres, 14 inch shorty antenna
    When discount tire mounted my XDs they scratched the right front rim pretty good. Took me a couple of days to notice it but when I did, I took it back in and they ordered me a new one. They even sent a tech over to the warehouse in Dallas to pick it up so they could replace it the same day. Tell 'em what happened and give them a chance to fix it.

6. Jul 14, 2010 at 7:41 PM
    Doomsday

Doomsday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Sport 4x4 DCSB MGM
    Lights, Tires, Wheels,...more to come!

x2

Also when I had my camaro, dumbass used impact on my Gorilla keyed lock nuts. I made them pay me for new ones.

Also, they ordered me new rims after my rims looked like a gorilla hammered on my weights onto the rim. I never went back, my personal experience is there price is great buy quality of work has gone to shit.

7. Jul 14, 2010 at 8:39 PM
    whitetaco02

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Tinted windows, stainless steel drop hitch, rear TSB, Marathon seat covers in Realtree AP camo, low profile chrome toolbox, husky liners front and back, debadged
    I was actually worried letting them work on my truck. I only let one person other than myself work on it and he is my toyota mechanic. The ONLY reason I got them to do it was because I got the free lifetime rotate and balance. I just don't know what to do! It pisses me off that it happened but is there really anything they can do about it? I may just take it by there and let the manager look at it and see what he will do about it! It is aggravating!

8. Jul 14, 2010 at 9:38 PM
    cornwall325

cornwall325 Toyota newbie...

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    09' D.C. TRD Sport 4x4
    Seatbelt chime turned off, Toyota bedmat, Wet Okoles, stock other than that.
    I would run by there one day and have a talk with the manager. Most reputable places will try and make things right with you.

9. Jul 14, 2010 at 10:09 PM
    Cartho

Cartho Member

Member:
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 Double Cab Long Bed SR5 Magnetic Grey
    Bug deflector, Westin side steps, Westin bull bar, TRD CAI, Wicked Flow exhaust, in-channel deflectors, Access roll-up cover, bed extender, Thule roof rack, rear TSB
    Those scratch marks are too long to simply be because of where the weight was sitting. I used to be in the tire industry and that mark is one of two possibilities.

Either they did not remove the weights before they took the old tire off so as the arm for the tire machine moved around the outer rim of the wheel, it caught the wheel weight and slid it along the rim scartching it.

The other possibility is when they were mounting the new tire on, if the arm is resting on the wheel as the tire stretches onto the rim, the tension bends that arm ever so slightly. When it gets too close, it scratches the wheel.

I have seen both of these situations happen often, especially with new employees.

10. Jul 14, 2010 at 10:21 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    My wheels look alot like that from where i had my tires new tires put on. A local shop around here did mine.

11. Jul 15, 2010 at 12:05 PM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    That looks like more than wheel weights unless you had 2 pound weights on the stock tires :) I'd be headed over there if it were my truck.

12. Jul 15, 2010 at 1:45 PM
    whitetaco02

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    GA
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4
    Definitely didn't have two pound weights. I have not gone by there yet as today has been busy doing honey do's. Not really sure what they will do about it though!

13. Jul 15, 2010 at 2:03 PM
    Tojo

Tojo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado/Arizona
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Mobil 1 0-20W, Tacoma bed mat, tailgate anti-theft, oil filter drain hose, back seat headrest removal, a/c back seat platform, rear spring tsb, Tek.Prodigy P2 electric brake cntrl, Toyota Bed Extender
    looking at the pics it's hard to say?? may have been the tire machine they use when they broke loose the tire bead seal to remove the old tires without using a rag or something to protect the rim ...eitherway it sucks big time. good luck

14. Jul 16, 2010 at 7:22 AM
    Gunga

Gunga Well-Known Member

Member:
    Glendale, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2008 TRD OffRoad DC 4x4
    Discount scratched one of mine when they were balancing my new tires. The manager came out and told me about it and they had my wheel repaired/redone for me. Took 2 days and they put the spare on while it was fixed. Take it back and show the manager.

Products Discussed in

To Top