1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A how to on painting your stock rims....

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by zeeya2000, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:29 PM
    zeeya2000

zeeya2000 [OP] Cajun Taceaux

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
    [​IMG]

Okay hey this project took me about 5 days to complete. Pretty much a day a wheel, except on one day it was raining and I don’t like to paint with a lot of moisture in the air.

What I did was remove one tire at a time and left my truck on a jack stand while I painted the rim.
    After I removed the tire I washed the rim really well with soap and water to remove any grease or dirt.
    After it dried I began the sanding part. I used a scotch pad (picture attached) one was 60 grit and the other was a 220 grit.(you can use sand paper but I found this the easiest)TIME CONSUMING!!!
    I used the 60 grit first to get most of my clear coat off my rims and to smooth out any imperfections, then I came back with the 220 all the way around to smooth everything out.
    Once you are done sanding you will need to clean it again, I used compressed air and some cheesecloth I had laying around. (you can use pretty much anything but jus make sure all of the dust from sanding is removed)
    Next you will need to tape off the rim from the tire. I used masking tape (picture attached) and garbage bags, Just to make sure you cover everything but the rim. B/c I doubt you want to paint your tires also.
    Then you will put on a thin layer of primer (picture attached) making sure you cover all parts of the rim.
    After your one coat of primer is fairly dry you can start your coats of paint (picture attached)
    Just a reminder the thinner the coats the better making sure you cover all parts of the rim because the last thing you want is runs in the paint.
    On my rims I did one coat of primer and three nice coats of paint for each.
    In between coats make sure the previous coat is dry to the touch before adding another layer.
    I also used a blow-dryer to speed up the drying process between coats

If you have any questions or need any suggestions fell free to pm on Tacomaworld or email me
    Im glad I could help,(PICTURES OF PAINT AND MATERIALS BELOW)
    Craig

2. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    Flowmaster super 10 series turndowns/ Volant CAI system/ Alpine deck, Alpine bass speakers throughtout with tweeters, Alpine PLT-5 Sub/ Blacked out front bumper and door handles/ 5% and 20% tint/ Bilstein 5100 adjustable shocks all the way around with a 1.5'' block lift in the rear/ also removed my running boards and mudflaps/ Blacked out badges - TRD windshield banner - TRD third brake light cover (all courtesy of SockMonkey)
  3. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:30 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
  4. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:31 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
  5. Jul 17, 2010 at 10:35 PM
    tbturner47

tbturner47 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hickory, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Barcelona Red TRD Off Road
    Looks good man!

6. Jul 18, 2010 at 1:59 AM
    MJonaGS32

MJonaGS32 MJ on a GS

Member:
    First Name:
    MJ
    SF Bay Area (East)
    Vehicle:
    07 LT 4x4 DCSB 6spd Vagabond
    Drifter wedge camper, Dual battery, OBA, ARB locker, 4.56 gears
    thanks for the post!

7. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:19 AM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    I painted my stock rims aswell but I bought my truck used and have only seen the rims that came with it on one other Tacoma since I bought it two years ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg

8. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Painted stock wheels, bfg km2s, 5100s front and rear, tc spindles, add a leaf, 3" block, debaged, flowmaster exhaust, 2nd air filter removed, wheel spacers and k&n air filter
    I got fancy to cause I liked the rims with the chrome details on them so I took a couple hours to mask them aswell for a fancy effect.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk.jpg

9. Jul 18, 2010 at 5:31 AM
    coffeesnob

coffeesnob Well-Known Member

Member:
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2010 access 4 cyl 2 wd
    looks good. Hides that brake dust too.

10. Jul 18, 2010 at 12:06 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    yes it does i painted the calipers and drums behind the wheels as well just to make them blend in

11. Jul 18, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    thats a great idea man and it came out nice too

12. Jul 18, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Thank you sir whole project took me around 10 hours including removing tires washing sanding masking priming and painting. Then let them dry till next morning. And I'm happy with the outcome

13. Jul 19, 2010 at 2:17 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner

with these set of directions? awesome post some pics when you get a chance.

14. Jul 19, 2010 at 2:20 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    oops disregard that last post i saw them above and they do look great

15. Jul 19, 2010 at 4:36 PM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Not those directions to the t. Pretty close though. I followed some I found on google. Really most important part was sanding and cleaning before painting. Then I masked off chrome spots. But thanks for compliments. I was happy with how they turned out

16. Jul 19, 2010 at 5:38 PM
    GA_TACO4x4

GA_TACO4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    here 'n there
    Vehicle:
    07 DCSB 4x4
    marathon superhide max-4 seat covers, weathertechs, maglite mod, 20% tint, 2" leveling kit, leaf spring tsb.
    Craig, those wheels look great. i like the red on black look. how do u like those destination a/t's? im thinkin those will be my next tire.

Nick, that has got to be the best looking painted factory rims on the site. i havent seen those painted like that before

17. Jul 19, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    FLtaco

FLtaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Cocoa beach, fl
    Vehicle:
    05 prerunner dc
    Thanks Josh. I appreciate the generous compliment. They have there few spots where I didn't stick tape down compleatly and had a little overspray but nothing paintthiner and little elbow grease can't fix. Just did them a week ago so there probaly cured enough to clean up

18. Jul 20, 2010 at 2:59 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner
    hey man thanks for the compliment. and the destination a/t's are a great tire. Quiet on the road and easily handled, and they still deffinitely give you good pull off-road for an a/t tire. ive had those tires for over 20,000 miles and they still are going strong.

19. Jul 20, 2010 at 3:07 PM
    Wadester19

Wadester19 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Taylor
    Frederick, MD
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport 4x4
    Wheels look great man! I did this when I had my Subaru WRX and it took about 6 hours with 2 of us working on all 4 wheels at the same time. I'm probably going to be doing this to the taco real soon.

20. Jul 21, 2010 at 1:18 PM
    zeeya2000

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    Bad-Ass PreRunner

those little bastards are quick :eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top