1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Optima Battery

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SMG26, May 14, 2010.

1. May 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Seems the ones bought from Whole sale storees, like Costco, burn up the posative cell connection very quickly. Within a year or so. I personally havent had an issue with any I have had. I have 3 Red tops currently (in different vehicles), and no issues.

OP, Yes, you will need the height adapter. Also, be sure to get the "R" (reverse terminal).

2. May 16, 2010 at 8:42 AM
    T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

Member:
    S1N C1TY...(from Hilo, HI)...
    Vehicle:
    BSP TRD Off-Road
    APR X-1 | TRD CAI w/Clear Cover | TRD Short Shifter w/ TRD "RED" Shift Knob | SGII w/Blendmount| Snugtop SL w/KeyLess Entry | 5% Tint | Pop-n-Lock | Bosch Icon WB | S2K Antenna | HRM | LS 8K Projectors w/BSP HLM & 8K Fogs w/FLM | Debadged |Tinted Tails | Black Weathertechs | MX RGM & RBM | Optima Red Top 35 | Gatorback Belt |
    dito...mean either...never had issues at all...love my optima red top 35 series...:D

3. May 16, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    Engine compartments are just not good storage places for a lead acid based batteries.

Starting battery technology hasn't changed much in 50 years. Deep cycle batteries have thicker plates that resist sulfate crystals from forming (AKA, killing a battery). They can't "dump" amperage as fast which starter motors need. Starting batteries have thin plates that can "dump" amperage fast but sulfate easily. So-called marine batteries have medium thickness plates and are a compromise.

A lead acid battery sulfates when it is not fully charged. Deep cycle shouldn't get below 50% of their rated amp-hours and starting batteries 10%. If you drain them more than that you start to damage the battery. Therefore if you leave your lights on until the battery is drained you probably lessened the total life of your battery.

Heat is hard on a battery and cold reduces the amperage available. That's why we have to replace batteries every few years in a vehicle.

Also the charging of deep-cycles and starting batteries are different. Vehicle chargers are designed for starting batteries and don't do long conditioning gassing charges that deep cycles need.

I have a deep cycle Trojan trolling motor battery that I keep trickle-charged and never let the electrolyte go down past the plates. I keep in in my basement when not in use and it's 11 years old. It has nearly the same amp-hours it did when new.

Bottom line IMO you are not going to get your money's worth out of an Optima, whether red, yellow, or blue. The color just means it's either starting, deep-cycle, or marine. Maybe it looks cooler but someday it will die also. The best setup would be to have a starting battery for the starter motor only and a second deep-cycle for all the other accessories. This would require 2 different charging systems though.

4. May 16, 2010 at 11:23 AM
    george3

george3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2008 2.7 Manual Trans Tacoma
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Thanks. I think you just saved me some $. I have a truck so I need a starting battery. Why should I spend the extra $ for a Red Top if it isn't going to do anything for me. That was a great tutorial. [​IMG]

5. May 16, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    I just got a D34/78 Red Top Optima Battery from a local shop...I would check online for the lowest price then see if a local dealer would price match it. If you buy it local it is a lot easier and less hassle to have it replaced under warranty.

I was originally going to get the Yellow Top because it's a deep cycle but thru my "buddy" discount all he could get me was the Red Top which is fine for what I need it for.

I installed it using the plastic spacer it came with and I am also using the factory tie-down. It's holds well but I recently purchased a battery mount but I have yet to install it. The new battery mount was the cheapest I could find and looks just as good or even better than the more expensive one's I have seen on Ebay or other custom mounts.

Optima2281_0a91af18a158af8fb6c62a826ea0f38fc70ef766.jpg

This is the battery I have (D34/78). It has the side posts so I can run the factory wiring to it and I use the top posts for my amp and pretty battery clamps. :D
    Optima_62eef5b243c47d65a7891dc9c95c89807e74a941.jpg

This is the battery box mount from Ruff Stuff. The owner of the company is a really stand-up guy and most of the stuff he builds is geared towards Toyota.
    The mount is solid and well built, I just need to have it Powder Coated or Line-X'd before I install it.
    OptimaBatteryTray_f45b0dcab444099528dc471a470a1839879e338c.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. May 16, 2010 at 12:11 PM
    1TACOMA

1TACOMA New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Yuma AZ,
    Vehicle:
    TOYOTA TACOMA TRD SPORT
    TRD COLD AIR INTAKE, FLOWMASTER SUPER 44 SERIES MUFFLER, TRD EXHAUST, CHIPPED
    I have an 06 tacoma with the towing package and I have a red top optima and ive never had a problem. If your wondering about the height adapter I just used the plastic top that comes with the battery its perfert and I haven't had one problem.

7. May 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM
    knayrb

knayrb Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    Somewhere in the square states
    Vehicle:
    2010 Dbl-Cab Off-Road
    Pure stock
    No problem. Look, I don't want to talk you out of something that you really want. If the grain elevator look in your engine bay is worth the extra $$$ to you then go for it. People just need to know that it is impossible to "optimally" (pun intended) treat a battery perfect in a vehicle engine bay. The environment is bad on a battery.

That is one piece of equipment in your Taco that doesn't pay to get the best. The best ones don't last that much longer then the worst ones. Here is the best link to lead acid batteries, IMO. http://www.batteryfaq.org/

And remember, everyone is entitled to my opinion:D

8. May 16, 2010 at 3:46 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
  9. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:40 AM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    I had a Duralast in my old '89 XtraCab. It lasted 5 months. They did give me a new one but I sold the truck not long after that.

10. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:44 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    If you're gonna get an Optima, get the YELLOW TOP.

11. Jul 19, 2010 at 11:53 AM
    bailerc

bailerc Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fayetteville, NC
    Vehicle:
    16' MGM Limited
    this thread makes me sad , had a 6 month old yellow top when i traded in my ranger , and they wouldn't let me swap i at the dealer because the towing package battery wouldn't fit in the ranger

12. Jul 19, 2010 at 12:13 PM
    Rattler

Rattler Wandering But Not Lost

Member:
    Bay City MI
    Vehicle:
    '04 DoubleCab "3 Lift on 285/75/16s
    All Pro rear bumper with an Ironman Offroad swing-out spare carrier, Bajarack on top, blacked-out grill, Lightforce 140s Mombasa Rooftop Tent
    I want to believe me but I have a hard time with that @$200 price. I might have to forego the Bilstien 5100s for the front for a bit.

I had an Orange Top in my WRX when I traded it in. I was in a hurry and forgot to swap it out.

13. Jul 19, 2010 at 12:15 PM
    Oregon TRD

Oregon TRD "GO DUCKS" Edition

Member:
    First Name:
    Ross
    Steel Panthers bathroom floor!
    Vehicle:
    2005 Mall Krawler
    6" Fabtech Lift, 35" Fierce M/T 17" Eagle Alloy Sim bead locks Naked girls in the bed 10.1" DVD head unit Two 7" Headrest Monitors PS2 in glove box
    I had a Yellow top for years. It ran my $3500 dvd/stereo system, all my lighting...u name it! Strong as hell battery. Got it on EBAY for $80 brand new. Not sure what they go for now.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  14. Jul 19, 2010 at 5:26 PM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Seat belt beeper, Cabelas (Weathertech) floor liner gray, Covercraft Seat Savers in Taupe, Protecta Heavy Duty Rubber Truck Bed Mat, Pop n Lock PL5200, Pace Edwards Full Metal JackRabbit, Wolverine oil pan heater, Scangauge2, afe pro dry s filter, Remote Underbody 4 Piece LED Light Kit (White) used as Bed light, DIY Washable Cabin Air Filter, PA15-TOY, 4x4 Illuminated Switch, full synthetic, Redline Tuning Hood Support, Smittybilt Nerf Steps black powder-coated
    Just curious, googled yellow top, said deep cycle, red top starting battery. Don't we need a starting battery for our truck ? Isn't deep cycle for marine use ? Curious George.

15. Jul 19, 2010 at 7:53 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!
  16. Jul 19, 2010 at 9:10 PM
    ilovetacos

ilovetacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gavin
    Sacramento/Woodland
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4 DC
    Sold!
    ^^^ Nice set up Coupe!

Couple questions...

How did you install the billet tray? I purchased a battery box made specifically for an Optima battery and I had a hard time installing it because there was no way to get under the tray to hold the nut as I tightened the bolt from the top.

Also is that a custom top for your Optima battery?

17. Jul 20, 2010 at 12:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The Optima deep cycles are dual purpose, starting & deep cycle.

http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/yellowtop/specs.php
    http://www.optimabatteries.com/optima_products/redtop/specs.php

I had a yellow top in my jeep for years (like 8 years). The jeep wasn't my daily driver so it sat in the garage a lot, it never failed me. It's a better battery if you have lots of current draw (stereo equipment, winching, lots of lighting, etc). I did drain the battery once because I left my lights on.....but we hooked it up to a charger and it never missed a beat after that. Very durable.

We put a red top in our Grand Cherokee, sold that vehicle to my father-in-law and he said the battery failed him a couple years after he had the car (battery was 4 years old?). I honestly don't know what happened or whether it could've been charged and resurrected....or not?

18. Jul 20, 2010 at 2:25 AM
    george3

Member:
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for reply Janster ! I thinks 4 or 5 years is about it for most starting batteries so nothing special there so no reason to spend the extra $$ but 8 year is excellent and outstanding.

19. Jul 20, 2010 at 5:10 AM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!

I drilled and tapped the sheetmetal of the truck and loctited the screws in.

What you are seeing is the top of the battery with labels removed.

20. Jul 20, 2010 at 5:35 AM
    jesseunvoas

jesseunvoas Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    Swift Current, Sask, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT
    3" Ready Lift Super 80 Muffler AFE Stage 2 CAI Pro Dry Filter OEM Roof Rack RollBAK Tonneau Cover Cooper AT3 Tires Kakays On The Roof free candy topper

I agree every year or so mine goes blank can't keep a charge nothing but i do get a free replacement with the free 5 year no hassle warranty though

Products Discussed in

To Top