1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Importing a Tacoma: Has anyone ever had issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joleger, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 7:11 AM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    I agree about the Recall Clearance Letter! I just wish you saw some of the other threads where I outlined the process to others, you could have saved alot of hassle!!

When I bought my truck in 2008 I was able to find a US dealer that would sell me a brand new truck TRD Access Cab for around $26k CND plus tax.

At the time (Nov 2007) I saved close to $13k as our dollar was above the US dallar.
    And yes I did my research so 4 hours after crossing the border my truck was fully licensed and ready to drive. I had no waiting at the border or recall issues, I even added the DRL's in the parking lot at the hotel the night before I crossed the border.

I also bought a 2008 Nissan Altima and was able to save $11k.

I agree with you guys, I wouldn't hesitate to do it again, as I indicated earlier the process was very easy if you do a bit of research.
    My thought has been that if I can save more then $5k then it's worth the effort, if less then $5k to me it's not as you don't get the good financing plus you may loose a bit on resale.

The 2009 I was looking at is brand new with 127 kms on it (I'm surprised it's still on the lot). I think for $30.5k it's a good deal plus it has leather and heated seats that aren't available in the US. The dealer is also not charging the freight and PDI.
    They said they would give me $23k for my truck as a trade (which is almost what I paid for it new!) so I think once I factor on the tax savings on the trade as well I would be hard pressed to find a deal in the US that is worth it.

Glad everything finally worked out for you guys,

Shawn

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:36 AM
    joleger

joleger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    Done and done!!!!! :D

plate_clean.jpg

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:39 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Oh I knew about the recall clearance letter and the process....I just assumed there wasn't any open recalls......totally my fault for not doing my research.:(

Anyway....it's over now.....I have my plate and all is good.

4. Jul 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM

37259 Member

Member:
    Canada
    3 inch lift
    Don't have the form yet I hope to have it Monday...I did find a lady at Toyota US that was not to bad to help the process, we'll see this week I guess......I will let everyone know when its finished.

Yes I would import again, however for $30500 for a new 09 I would go for the local truck.
    My 08 has heated leather. As far as I know the leather is installed aftermarket even on new trucks, I'm not 100% though.

5. Jul 24, 2010 at 3:08 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Hey Kman,

Did you already send in your invoice from your local dealer? If so, check the RIV.ca website under "track my case" to see if you can get your Form-2. https://www.riv.ca/TrackYourCase.aspx I was waiting for an email but I went RIV.ca just to check and my Form-2 was ready for download.

I tell you it felt really good driving the truck yesterday. :)

6. Jul 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Hey Duff, Kman

Did you guys get your plates yet?

7. Jul 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

37259 Member

Member:
    Canada
    3 inch lift

Just got my recall done today...(thanks to a slow or booked up dealer who knows)
    Anyway sending the work order to RIV, see if I get lucky, also sending it to Toyota US for verification just in case.

8. Jul 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Good plan. My gut tells me that you will get your form-2 by tomorrow morning if not sooner.

9. Jul 26, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    duffy_north

duffy_north Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    I"m about to lose it. So I pick my truck up from Canadian Tire this afternoon, left work a little early to make it to the license office that closes at 5:00

Nowhere on my documentation does it have the Gross weight of the vehicle. The C$nt behind the counter asks the other C$nt what to do. Have to get the vehicle weighed empty and then figure out how much weight I might carry to get the Gross weight. I go come on.... Nicely, trying not to lose it because these C$nts work all day shuffling paper and probably look forward to someone losing it as it is their only excitement all day.

So I'm driving towards a dump that is commerical only hoping they can wiegh me and give a certifiicate of some form. On the application I'm looking as I'm driving and it is under Commercial Vehicles and Buses where they want the gross weight and personal vehicle is ticked for me. Pull a U turn, go back and say hey, this weight is for a commercial vehicle which makes sense.

C%nt number 2 goes it is a commercial vehicle, it is a pick up and can be used to carry things. I say yeah, but C%nt number 1 selected Personal Vehicle. (She was filling out the form) That's wrong says C$nt number 2. It's a commercial vehicle since it has the black and white plate, and you use for personal use. Before I leave without losing, I ask the C$nts is this the same if I go to another office? Rest assured Sir it's the same across the province.

I head home to have a beer and calm down and make a call to another office. However, the website for MOT services is down and can't pull up the phone numbers and they close at 5:00 so will have to work it out tomorrow.

Reviewing all my forms, I see there is no weight anywhere, but on the back of the registration form that C$nt number 1 was originally filling out there is a declaration I can make that this commericial vehicle is 1. primarily for personal use and 2. under 3,000 kg gross weight.

So I think this declaration is my way out. Going to check out another office or two tomorrow. I mean, where the hell does the average Joe in Moose Groin, Ontario get his vehicle weighed?

If I'm right, I'm looking forward to educating the C$nt twins once my vehicle is registered.

Time for another beer...

Duff

10. Jul 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM

37259 Member

Member:
    Canada
    3 inch lift

Got my Form 2....going to C-Tire tomorrow!

11. Jul 26, 2010 at 2:42 PM

37259 Member

Member:
    Canada
    3 inch lift
    Unreal...hope you get it strighted out!!

12. Jul 26, 2010 at 6:21 PM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Unbelievable.

However, a co-worker of mine may have some help for you. His registration fees were too high so he did some research. It turns out that the manufacturers tell the province how much a vehicle weighs...that's how they figure out how much your registration fees are every year.

I guess my point is that your local dealer may be able to some sort of form that tells you how much a vehicle weighs.

According to my registration, my truck has a mass of 1748KG, gross mass of 2431KG

Good Luck Duff.

13. Jul 26, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    For the first 2 years I thought my sticker renewal price was high but never paid much attention. Then last year I noticed that my truck weight was 5000kgs instead of presumably 5000 ibs.
    The license guy actually brought it to my attention and told me if I got it weighed they would change it as no one must have noticed it when I got it registered.

Shawn

14. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:30 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    How does it work in Ontario when you buy a brand new car? Do you have to go get it weighed? I don't think so. The MOT must have a database of weights for vehicles or they are provided by the manufacturer when they sold.

I mean if the little "have-not" province of NB can figure it out for me, I am sure Ontario can figure it out.

You'll get it Duff...stay strong.

15. Jul 27, 2010 at 3:42 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    If the declaration doesn't work, here is a pdf (from toyota.com BTW) that has the weight of your truck.

http://www.toyota.com/upfitters/pdfs/specs/2009TacomaProductSpecs.pdf

16. Jul 27, 2010 at 4:28 AM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    J.O. thanks for this, I have printed and will take it to the MOT office with me

Shawn, I'm curious where did you get your truck weighed? If it makes my plate fees cheaper, hell, I'll go get my buddies wife's smart car weighed and submit as mine. This comes back to J.O.'s point, there must be a central registry somewhere they pick up weights.

Will see what happens a little later this morning when I take an early lunch and visit a different MOT office.

Duff

17. Jul 27, 2010 at 5:58 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    I just went to the local dump who gives you a receipt with before and after weights and records your plate number.

Doesn't it also show your weight on the drivers door placard?

I know what you mean about the MTO. When we registered the brand new Altima we bought, the lady at the MTO said we needed a emissions test which we had to go back and get.
    When I registered my Tacoma and showed them the emission test paper another lady said that I wasted my money and didn't need it. Go figure.

Remember you'll never teach the people at MTO a lesson, you're better to just do what your local one says or try going to another one.

Oh BTW starting in 2009 in Canada only you can get heated leather seats from the factory (not aftermarket).

Shawn

18. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:18 AM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    I hear you, I was more interested in educating them so they would make some other poor schmuck trudge off to the dump. Our dump is quite out of the way so would be a pain.

Duff

19. Jul 27, 2010 at 6:32 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Cool, I wasn't trying to sound like I was above that kind of thing, as my wife constantly tells me I should just let things go!
    At the end I just get myself all worked up for nothing.

Glad your almost there with the plates.

I'm in Memphis now on my way down to new Orleans then over to the east coast then home. I may stop by the dealer I bought my truck from new in PA to see what the prices are and if they'll still sell new to canadians.

Shawn

20. Jul 27, 2010 at 7:43 AM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    Well, she's finally done. Got the new plates on, no issues with the weight.

Somewhat of a hassle given the recall, but would do it again. In fact, my wife's Camry will need replacing in a couple of years, so this was a good dry run.

Thanks to all for sharing and the support.

Kman, let us know when you are up and running.

Duff

Products Discussed in

To Top