1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Storing the taco?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by MarineTacoDriver, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Jul 23, 2010 at 9:12 PM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    Headed out for a little while in October, was just wondering what everyones thoughts on storing the truck for a while were...
    1) Gas tank, full or empty? I've heard some people say you want to leave it full, and some say empty, some say it depends on if you have a metal, or plastic tank.
    2) Oil, I should be just about due for an oil change when I leave, should I get the oil changed and have the new stuff sitting in there while I'm gone, or would I be fine leaving the old stuff sitting in there while I'm gone to save some cash? (I run synthetic if that matters)
    3) Tires, I am about to get some new tires, should I put the old ones back on while it is sitting to keep them from getting flat spots?
    4) It is unknown where I am going to be leaving my truck at the moment, may have to put it in storage, may leave it at a friends house. How often should I have someone go out and start it, and should they drive it around as well to get it everything moving around a little? (I knew with my 85' F150, my dad did that while I was at boot camp, and it's probably the only reason it started when I get home)

2. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:36 PM
    j1999t

j1999t Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    traded it in
    gas tank, i dont know what the consensus is on that, id leave it at half

change your oil after, why let it sit, give your truck a treat when you come back

so that you dont have to worry about tires, put the truck up on blocks, wheels off the ground, so you wont have flat spots on either set...

just unhook the battery while your gone and keep it on the blocks... it will start right up when you come home and get it off the blocks, change the oil and plug the battery back in...

anyone who wants to correct me, go ahead, im not sure if this is all correct

3. Jul 23, 2010 at 11:40 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    fuel stabilizer in the gas tank you dont want varnish

jack stands if you want to

and most importantly a trickle charger for the battery.

usually I keep my tacos in the fridge though

4. Jul 24, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    MarineTacoDriver

MarineTacoDriver [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Cherry Point
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 4x4
    ARB front bumper, Warn M8000, ATO front/transmission/transfer case skids, Icon ext travel coilovers, Total Chaos UCA's, OME Dakar leaf springs, Bilstein/RCD 5100 3-4" lift shock, extended stainless brake lines, DrewFab shackle flip, rear ARB Airlocker, ARB air compressor
    Unknown at this time, they said 4-7 months. The last guys they told 3-4 months, and they were gone 9 months :rolleyes:

So fuel stabilizer, disconnect the battery, put it up on jack stands...

5. Jul 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    trickle charger for the battery if you want it to maintain its health

6. Jul 24, 2010 at 12:28 PM
    BeefTaco

BeefTaco WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST

Member: