Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

my project!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
chrisb1990 is on a distinguished road
Name: Chris
chrisb1990's Tacoma Gallery
my project!

well gonna start this thread... post a pic tomoro any suggestions on what to do first? i wana put it in the air... go all out... with like 40" ish on it.. what to do first??i know it will take alot.. but where do i start? also want to put like a 350 in it.. ill take any advice i can get!

Old 08-17-2010, 09:48 PM   #2
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
you wanna put 40s on it?? is it at stock height now?
Old 08-17-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
$$$
Old 08-18-2010, 04:22 AM   #6
-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed-TRDMAN- is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Greg
-TRDMAN-'s Tacoma Gallery
2.7L with 40's...

Shit I now see...... 350...
Old 08-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #7
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery

Old 08-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #8
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post

yeah what he said
Old 08-18-2010, 06:55 AM   #9
Professional Amateur
JDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shedJDMcompliant is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
JDMcompliant's Tacoma Gallery
8" blocks?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:14 AM   #10
You're my boy blue
Blue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Dylan
Blue's Tacoma Gallery
Screw blocks! jump straight to an 8" body lift
Old 08-18-2010, 07:30 AM   #11
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Navy: DoN civilian
viperstd's Tacoma Gallery
pffttt/// remove the bed and front quarters... and 12 add-a-leafs in the back... quad-hydro steering...
I bet you can get all the parts from a junk yards and get rolling for under a grand.....

http://www.arctictrucks.is/Pages/1632

...very affordable option...
Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM   #12
Tacoma convert
viperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant futureviperstd has a brilliant future
Ok, that was completely unhelpful. But honestly, you are trying to move a mountain with a sandcastle shovel.

Look at J Demello's truck. That is the kind of fabrication you are looking at to do it right.
You will need new axles front and rear (and huge gears)
You will need to box the frame.
You will need a new engine and transmission.
You will need a new transfer case... and maybe a second transfer case.
You will need new steering components.
You will need to be an expert welder and be willing to spend at least $15,000-$20,000 and a lot of time.

If you do it any cheaper, you will break something everytime you go out.

Best Luck. I recommend starting with something a little more robust from the get go (consider a used military blazer or deuce.5) It will be much cheaper and infinitely easier.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:21 PM   #13
im looking to spend like 15 grand. and i dont wana go cheaper i love my truck dont have a problem putting that kinda money into it.. and i have a expert welder on hand at the cost of... bud lite.. but still stumped on what to put money into first since theres sooo much... cant to it all at once.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Tacoma convert
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971-...itary_Vehicles

Or you could buy the donor truck outright... It comes with wheels and tires.
Old 08-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #16
i should start out with axles? those are expencive will that keep me in my 15k budget?
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 PM   #17
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb1990 View Post
i should start out with axles? those are expencive will that keep me in my 15k budget?
lol, he was being sarcastic. You should go over to ttora.com and look in the sas section to get all the info you could ever want about doing a sas. Just search really well before posting over there...
Old 08-18-2010, 09:47 PM   #18
ok so i think ive decided to put a chevy 350 in it... but ill need a 3 inch lift before that. and i just want to do it in best order as possible so im not waisting money on the same parts when i go higher.. cause im thinking of a 3 inch body life right now... http://www.4wheelparts.com/prodDetai...partno=PER5533 it comes with
  • Steering Extension Included
  • Front Bumper Brackets Included
  • WHAT ELSE DO I NEED to complete the 3 inch body lift from stock?
Old 08-18-2010, 10:19 PM   #19
come on fhqwhgads
pittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shedpittim is one of the sharper tools in the shed

pittim's Tacoma Gallery
All Pro sells a complete SAS kit for around $10k

I'd start there.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:50 AM   #20
Tacoma convert
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
lol, he was being sarcastic. You should go over to ttora.com and look in the sas section to get all the info you could ever want about doing a sas. Just search really well before posting over there...
I was not! He wants to run 40s with a V8 and he is in FL --> Mod Bogging --> broken bits. Someone I used to ride with was running 38s + big block on a dana 80 and grenade'd the rearend twice. He also broke his dana 60 front multiple times (basically whenever he put it 4x4. It creates a huge amount of torque.

You can get old Rockwells for about 2k (or less if you buy a whole vehicle). You will have 6.xx gearing and basically industructible axles. Why not do it right the first time? He said his welding costs him budlight, so welding the brackets and boxing the frame will cost him $25.

$0.02
__________________________ EDITED AFTER THINKING ___________
Ok, you will porbably be fine with dana 60s. But you will spend almost as much money (or more) on D60s as you would for the rockwells. I still think if you are going to spend $15,000 to build a monster offroading rig. Build it ONCE and build it RIGHT.