Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Box Rocket - 2003 TRD Doublecab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-12-2014, 11:00 AM   #2041
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtaco02 View Post
Adam you still debating the glassworks up front?
Truck looks very nice...
Definitely. Been watching for a deal while I save up to paid full retail.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #2042
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Has Glassworks got their act back together? Last I heard, they had poor customer service and even worse turn around time.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:27 AM   #2043
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Solid axles are a fad for these trucks. Just my opinion but a lot of people that do the swap are doing it for the "bling" factor, not because they really NEED it.

Moab and the Rubicon can both be done with IFS. Only the very gnarliest of the trails in Moab would a Solid Axle help. All the rest of them can be done. I've done the Rubicon too but not in this truck. But on one of the trips we had a '96 extra cab with a 2.5" lift and 32's. He did just fine. On another trip we had 2 '89 pickups with IFS and 32's and they all did fine on the Rubicon. I'd wouldn't hesitate one second to take my truck the way it is on the Rubicon. Just haven't had the chance to get out there yet.

I believe more in driver skill than I do equipment. I've been embarrassed before by some old dude in a basically stock rig. He just knew how to drive it.

I'm not against solid axles, 4 out of the 5 wheeling rigs I've had were solid axles. I know the strengths and the weaknesses. I am just convinced that they aren't as necessary as people think for 90% of the trails that people do. If I were you I'd wheel your rig with IFS and just get some seat time and more experience as a driver. You can never have too much seat time. You'll know when you really NEED a solid axle, and my bet is it won't be for quite a while.

I doubt my truck will ever get a solid axle. I just don't use the truck in a way that would require it. Only if it was a hard core dedicated rock-crawler would it justify a solid axle. I've spent years rock-crawling. I enjoy it, but it not the kind of wheeling I do that much anymore. And my truck does it pretty well as it is when I need it to. Does it flex as well as a SAS truck? Nope. Is the front axle as strong? Nope. Doesn't matter to me. It just changes how you drive a little which isn't always a bad thing.

I don't have any problems with anyone wanting to do a SAS. If you want a serious rock-crawler, it's a great mod to do. Solid axle, crawl box, front and rear lockers, big-ass tires. That's the stuff you need for a really good rockcrawler. I guess I've "been there done that" and I'm interested in other things more now.
Very well said Adam. Love the knowledge you provide. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2014, 12:51 PM   #2044
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
I have found that a locker helps make up for the lesser articulation to a certain extent. After reflecting on past experiences and that it is getting to house buying time, I've decided the truck is good enough and plenty of projects I want to do to it still. I miss the articulation of my old XJ but a money pit can be as deep as you want it with lesser and lesser return.
Old 01-12-2014, 01:12 PM   #2045
tomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shedtomtom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
PS: Hey Adam, not sure you saw my post about the CV axle nut socket. Can you verify you used a 36mm? Mine uses a 35mm and trying to figure out the difference. Going to measure the socket here to verify.
Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM   #2046
johnboyTRD has a spectacular aura aboutjohnboyTRD has a spectacular aura about

Name: John
johnboyTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Box Rocket - 2003 TRD Doublecab

My 03 has a 36mm if it helps...
Original cv from factory.as far as I know.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #2047
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
PS: Hey Adam, not sure you saw my post about the CV axle nut socket. Can you verify you used a 36mm? Mine uses a 35mm and trying to figure out the difference. Going to measure the socket here to verify.
Positive that I used a 36mm socket
Old 01-12-2014, 09:43 PM   #2048
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When we have run the Rubicon we usually do it over 3 days. We would either camp the first night at Spider Lake or Buck Island Lake, and spend the second night at Rubicon Springs. The Rubicon can be done as a day trip but it's much more enjoyable IMO as a multiday trip.

Dragging a trailer through it would be a LOT of work. When I built my trailer, I built it specifically to be able to pull it through the Rubicon. However, even though the trail COULD do it, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a major pain.

I'm gonna be straight with you. You would need to fully plan on body damage on your truck. A DCLB is a BIG truck on the Rubicon. You can do it, but you'll drag all over and the bedsides will find some rocks. And your trailer is a bit bigger and could make it a bit trickier too.

Honestly, if I were you I'd just figure out a bedrack and put your tent on the truck and run the Rubicon without the trailer. But don't let me stop you if you want to do it with the trailer.
Thanks for the info. Will probably put the tent on the truck and see how it goes. You planning any trips that way? I'll keep you informed as to what we're doing and maybe you guys would want to come with?
Old 01-13-2014, 05:43 AM   #2049

tomtom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Positive that I used a 36mm socket
interesting. I'll have to measure the nut on the next CV job. Wonder if it is a double cab difference.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:56 AM   #2050
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecloud View Post
Thanks for the info. Will probably put the tent on the truck and see how it goes. You planning any trips that way? I'll keep you informed as to what we're doing and maybe you guys would want to come with?
Yeah let me know. I don't currently have anything on the calendar.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:06 PM   #2051
ben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to beholdben916 is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Minesweep service as EM
Name: Benjamin
ben916's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
When we have run the Rubicon we usually do it over 3 days. We would either camp the first night at Spider Lake or Buck Island Lake, and spend the second night at Rubicon Springs. The Rubicon can be done as a day trip but it's much more enjoyable IMO as a multiday trip.

Honestly, if I were you I'd just figure out a bedrack and put your tent on the truck and run the Rubicon without the trailer. But don't let me stop you if you want to do it with the trailer.
This was exactly what I needed to hear/read.
A group of us from PNW are planning Rubicon this year.
My Tacoma is an 03 DCSB with e-locker and ARB air locker up front (purchased that way from prior owner) and pizza cutter KM2's. I "think" all I need is a BR expedition rack and an ARB fridge. I have added skids, spare tire, and Hi Lift.

I think I should be fine but I can always appreciate words of advice from others that have done it.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:12 PM   #2052
The Mad Scientist
jberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjberry813 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
jberry813's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
interesting. I'll have to measure the nut on the next CV job. Wonder if it is a double cab difference.
My tacoma, tundra, and the wife's 4th gen runner are all 35mm.
There was a long standing rumor on TW that it was a 36mm axle nut...because a 6 point 36mm socket will still work. But every truck I've worked on the 35mm fits perfect.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:53 PM   #2053
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah let me know. I don't currently have anything on the calendar.
Will do.
Old 01-13-2014, 01:15 PM   #2054
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
adam I dont think these are birfs hahahaha

when christo seen the picture and than my number popped up he said he was prepared for an earful..... I was like meh, ill pay for these and ship me some fronts now please hahaha
Old 01-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #2055
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberry813 View Post
My tacoma, tundra, and the wife's 4th gen runner are all 35mm.
There was a long standing rumor on TW that it was a 36mm axle nut...because a 6 point 36mm socket will still work. But every truck I've worked on the 35mm fits perfect.
agree 35mm is the correct one, but the 36 mm will work to remove, ive never personally tightened with the 36mm
Old 01-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #2056
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
adam I dont think these are birfs hahahaha

when christo seen the picture and than my number popped up he said he was prepared for an earful..... I was like meh, ill pay for these and ship me some fronts now please hahaha

WTH? did you order birfs and they sent you rear shafts?
Old 01-13-2014, 02:39 PM   #2057
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
WTH? did you order birfs and they sent you rear shafts?
yah small slip up lol....

its all good, I worked out they are sending me the right ones now, working on a price for me to keep the rears at a discount, seeing as they would need to pay 100ish in shipping just to get it back now lol
Old 01-13-2014, 02:44 PM   #2058
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulhas View Post
yah small slip up lol....

its all good, I worked out they are sending me the right ones now, working on a price for me to keep the rears at a discount, seeing as they would need to pay 100ish in shipping just to get it back now lol

Awesome. Guess it worked out ok. Nice to have some spare rears. I have never broken a rear shaft but was lucky when I was changing diff fluid one time. Found that I had twisted splines on both rears. Was glad I caught it before it broke. Replaced them and now have a set of spares too.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #2059
the habs fan

bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Awesome. Guess it worked out ok. Nice to have some spare rears. I have never broken a rear shaft but was lucky when I was changing diff fluid one time. Found that I had twisted splines on both rears. Was glad I caught it before it broke. Replaced them and now have a set of spares too.
yah pretty much, im like well Ill through the chromo's in the rear when i regear and make my factories trail spares... but I break a chromo I may have to ask myself was it worth it hahahaha
Old 01-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #2060
Neighborhood Know-it-all

I highly doubt you'll ever break a chromo in the rear. Christo was running factory axles in his "shortbus" cruiser on 42's and didn't break rears. He broke lots of birfs and the occasional front inner axle but I never heard of a rear braking.

Products Discussed in this Thread