Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Box Rocket - 2003 TRD Doublecab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #21
red balls got me!
IamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to beholdIamTacO is a splendid one to behold

Navy: Turd chaser!!
Name: adam
IamTacO's Tacoma Gallery
awesome rig!! you are a genius
Old 10-25-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTacO View Post
awesome rig!! you are a genius

Actually I a total hack, but thanks. Where did you get your HIDs? I'd like to get some for my truck.
Old 10-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #24
"f*#@ it, dude. let's go bowling"
ozark705 is on a distinguished road

ozark705's Tacoma Gallery
Dude, sick rig. It has the total Field of Dreams vibe, "If you build it, he will come." http://www.gifbin.com/bin/042009/123...n-my-pants.gif Total awesomeness.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:49 PM   #25
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

It's the small things that take the longest......right? I've had the track system for years and when I built my bed rack I built it with an slot on each side for some of the track system. After having the rack painted the track fit a little too tightly so I had to "machine" the track width down slightly, but I finally got it all installed last week. Rack is officially finished with more tie-down options than I know what to do with.

sorry for the iPhone pic.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #26
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Michael
Max-4_Yota's Tacoma Gallery
You've inspired me to *try* and make my own rear bumper, ive got the welder and the skill just gotta buy the metal. Do you think it would work with a rear hitch?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:44 PM   #27
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
You've inspired me to *try* and make my own rear bumper, ive got the welder and the skill just gotta buy the metal. Do you think it would work with a rear hitch?

Not quite sure what you mean about working with a rear hitch? Do you mean you want to use a factory tow hitch? I'm sure you can make that work. The stock bumper is approx 6" tall, maybe more so just make sure you use a peice for the bumper that clears the tailgate and doesn't get in the way of the hitch. Just gotta get creative.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:58 AM   #28
The Welfare Cadilac
Max-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shedMax-4_Yota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Not quite sure what you mean about working with a rear hitch? Do you mean you want to use a factory tow hitch? I'm sure you can make that work. The stock bumper is approx 6" tall, maybe more so just make sure you use a peice for the bumper that clears the tailgate and doesn't get in the way of the hitch. Just gotta get creative.
Thanks, Yeah I meant the factory tow hitch, if its not too much trouble can you put some pics up of how you mounted it to the truck, and a few close ups of different angles? I was up so late last night thinking of ideas I overslept and missed class
Old 11-03-2010, 10:24 AM   #29
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max-4_Yota View Post
Thanks, Yeah I meant the factory tow hitch, if its not too much trouble can you put some pics up of how you mounted it to the truck, and a few close ups of different angles? I was up so late last night thinking of ideas I overslept and missed class
I'll try to get some pics of the mounting. I reused the frame brackets from the factory bumper. I cuts slots in the back of the new bumper for the brackets to slide into and fully welded them with additional gussets. There is also a large gusset from the top of the receiver tube to the back of the bumper to help support the receiver. Once I add the brackets to tie the side wings back into the frame it will all be very solid.

I debated fabricating new frame brackets but I had a friend with a Tacoma that used the factory brackets on his bumper build and it held up just fine to a TON of abuse. Way more abuse than I'll ever throw at this thing so I went for it.
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM   #30
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome truck! very well done i love the back bumper. Now all you need is to Fab up a front bumper & I can't wait to see that.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #31
The Welfare Cadilac

Quote:
I'll try to get some pics of the mounting. I reused the frame brackets from the factory bumper. I cuts slots in the back of the new bumper for the brackets to slide into and fully welded them with additional gussets. There is also a large gusset from the top of the receiver tube to the back of the bumper to help support the receiver. Once I add the brackets to tie the side wings back into the frame it will all be very solid.

I debated fabricating new frame brackets but I had a friend with a Tacoma that used the factory brackets on his bumper build and it held up just fine to a TON of abuse. Way more abuse than I'll ever throw at this thing so I went for it.
Ok thanks alot! Im fixing to go try and make a cardboard template and fool around with some different designs.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:02 PM   #32
WASTE MANAGEMENT is on a distinguished road

Name: Travis
WASTE MANAGEMENT's Tacoma Gallery
SWEET TRUCK! I cant wait to see your front bumper, you going to add a winch?
Old 11-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #33
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by WASTE MANAGEMENT View Post
SWEET TRUCK! I cant wait to see your front bumper, you going to add a winch?

I doubt I'll build my own front bumper. There are several out there that have the kind of features I am looking for and I can get most of them for about what it would cost me to build one. Right now, I'm leaning toward the low-profile bumper from Trail-Gear. We'll see.

Yes it will have a winch as soon as I've got a bumper to put it in.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #34
That's some tight butthole
malander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shedmalander is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: max
malander's Tacoma Gallery
hands down my favorite tacoma
Old 11-07-2010, 08:16 PM   #35
function > form
747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed747 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

747's Tacoma Gallery
1st Gen, FTW! Excellent work, OP.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #36
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I doubt I'll build my own front bumper. There are several out there that have the kind of features I am looking for and I can get most of them for about what it would cost me to build one. Right now, I'm leaning toward the low-profile bumper from Trail-Gear. We'll see.

Yes it will have a winch as soon as I've got a bumper to put it in.
i think i may get the tg front bumper as well, do to the price and i like the low profile look just wanna see it on an 01-04 tacoma first.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #37
lennys is on a distinguished road

lennys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Have a good friend that does Home Theater stuff but spent several years doing automotive audio/video and he hooked me up with a new Alpine Deck for tunes that allows me to use my iPod. Also picked up a Uniden CB and external speaker and got those installed in the common ashtray location.

I took it camping a couple times and found quickly that the Dakar springs are not very good at handling a load, and the truck was also sitting a little lower in the rear. So I got a pair of 1.5" shackles from All Pro and installed those. It leveled things out nicely but didn't take care of the load capacity. This is how the truck is sitting currently, but I plan to pick up a pair of OME AAL's soon to help with the load.
I still need to build a rear bumper, and figure out some kind of front bumper and winch and then I'll be right about where I want it. But it was good enough to get out and start using it more. I was part of an awesome trip over Labor Day that drove from the SE corner of Utah diagonally across the state to the NW corner almost entirely on dirt roads. It was an awesome group and an awesome trip. We covered nearly 1000 miles on dirt over 4 days and speeds as high as 90mph. The OME suspension worked geat on all the high speed stuff and handled the corrugated roads really well. I still need to get the AAL's but overall I have been really happy with the truck as this was its first real test for me. There is a full write-up on that trip over on Expedition Portal if you want to read it and see more pics. Utah Cruiser Expedition 2010[/url]. Here are just a few pics of my truck from that trip.

Getting ready to leave home

Camping near Aneth, Utah

camping near Montezuma Creek in Canyonlands

Crossing I-70

Watercrossing

Camping above Skyline Drive

near Skyline Drive

camping at the Newfoundland Moutains

This truck Sucks because of it I bought one yesterday and will be doing alot of the same mods,Im building this truck for a Baja trip I have planned for the end of the year.Newyears in Cabo.I will post my build tonight,Im doing the same OME kit with AAL and Procomp black rims with 285/75/16 BFG ATs Ill intall every thing tonight and over the weekend.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #38
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
i want that rear bumper
Old 11-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #39
Ultimate TRD
fireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfireman_343 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Brian
fireman_343's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice job on everything!! I'm going to the steel shop this week and look into making my own rear bumper!! Good stuff!!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:06 PM   #40
Screw your MPG's
jacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shedjacob_wood is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
jacob_wood's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to jacob_wood
I've seen both your truck, and your cruiser on ExPo. I love both vehicles! Excellent build

Products Discussed in this Thread