Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Box Rocket - 2003 TRD Doublecab

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-05-2013, 03:18 PM   #1201
ponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shedponethousand is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Paul
ponethousand's Tacoma Gallery
Adam, it must be nice working on your truck for a change!
Old 05-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #1202
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Filling tires should be fine. I've got a good hose that should reach all 4.

I don't know if I count this as really "working" on my truck. Seriously took me about an hour in between going to work all morning, kids soccer games and a party my wife was having last night.

I've still got my ubolt flips, rear shock relocation, axle relocation plates and bumpstops that have have been sitting for well over a month now. When I am able to get to those things I'll feel like I have been able to work on my truck again.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:00 PM   #1203
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Thanks for the compliment. I would take a serious look at the OME suspension if I were you. If I lived somewhere like SoCal or Arizona or some other dry climate I would have considered some Icon Coilovers or any of the other adjustable coilovers, but here in Utah the winters and salt can be brutal on those suspension parts. I didn't want to be rebuilding my suspension every year. The OME stuff holds up in adverse conditions MUCH better than the coilover setups out there. Since you're in WV, I imagine the winters are pretty harsh there as well. I think the OME stuff would be a good option for you for the same reason.

I get all of my ARB/OME products from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Without question he's the best source, and he's even a Tacoma owner.
Im just wonder of what you had stated above about living in Utah and having a coilover setup i was planning on getting some king coilovers all around but i am a little hesitant after reading what you said!

Im just asking if you could tell me a little more info maybe?

BTW Sick fucking truck man
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #1204
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Here's one example. The threaded sections/collars get trashed in the winters here in Utah if you spne time commuting on the salted highways. It can really do a number on the powdercoat on the coils as well. Uniballs used in aftermarket upper control arms can take a beating as well.

None of this means they aren't great products. It just means you need to be aware of the potential wear in this climate and plan accordingly to do the necessary maintenance. For many who put a lot of miles on their trucks in the winter it can mean rebuilding coilovers and uniballs every season.

This is a common condition of components after a winter.

With OME you don't have the exposed threaded sections and or fittings for shock bypasses etc that can corrode easily. If the OME shock bodies get chips from road debris, they can develop rust but otherwise they hold up well. Factory style upper ball joints with sealed boots like the Light Racing ones are a better option and open uniballs.

I would love a set of sexy control arms and some Icon coilovers, but they just aren't worth the expense with the damage they'll see with the amount of winter driving I do.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:24 PM   #1205
TOYOTA.. Because barbie drives a jeep..
07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed07COMA801 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kris
07COMA801's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I would take a serious look at the OME suspension if I were you. If I lived somewhere like SoCal or Arizona or some other dry climate I would have considered some Icon Coilovers or any of the other adjustable coilovers, but here in Utah the winters and salt can be brutal on those suspension parts. I didn't want to be rebuilding my suspension every year. The OME stuff holds up in adverse conditions MUCH better than the coilover setups out there. Since you're in WV, I imagine the winters are pretty harsh there as well. I think the OME stuff would be a good option for you for the same reason.

I get all of my ARB/OME products from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. Without question he's the best source, and he's even a Tacoma owner.
Quote:
Here's one example. The threaded sections/collars get trashed in the winters here in Utah if you spne time commuting on the salted highways. It can really do a number on the powdercoat on the coils as well. Uniballs used in aftermarket upper control arms can take a beating as well.

None of this means they aren't great products. It just means you need to be aware of the potential wear in this climate and plan accordingly to do the necessary maintenance. For many who put a lot of miles on their trucks in the winter it can mean rebuilding coilovers and uniballs every season.

With OME you don't have the exposed threaded sections and or fittings for shock bypasses etc that can corrode easily. If the OME shock bodies get chips from road debris, they can develop rust but otherwise they hold up well. Factory style upper ball joints with sealed boots like the Light Racing ones are a better option and open uniballs.

I would love a set of sexy control arms and some Icon coilovers, but they just aren't worth the expense with the damage they'll see with the amount of winter driving I do.
Well i live right by the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon and drive my truck every day to work and just wherever, I dont take the freeway much but sometimes cant avoid it and as you know we get a ton of snow, so if i were to go the route i was planning on with thoes king coilovers and just took a power washer to them every so often and dryed them off would that result in a longer life time

I just dont want to drop a bunch of money if they dont last as long as id like and have to rebuild them and what not.

But if i can run them and just kind of baby them as far as keeping them clean and washing salt and what ever els off then ill still probably go that route ..

Thanks for your help!
Love too see such a sick rig especially from UT
Old 05-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #1206
deez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the sheddeez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Darren
deez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Ouch, that would make me cry.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:38 PM   #1207
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I hate salt more than I hate mud!!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 PM   #1208
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
hey box, I was going through your build and saw where you welded some plates to your frame. PG25 i believe. im curious why?

I love your truck BTW! Inspiration right there!!!
Old 05-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #1209
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny View Post
hey box, I was going through your build and saw where you welded some plates to your frame. PG25 i believe. im curious why?

I love your truck BTW! Inspiration right there!!!
Because the rear section of the frames on these trucks are not fully boxed frames and are notorious for bending if a lot of weight is added to the back end of the truck, i.e. toppers, heavy rear bumpers, tire carriers, jerry cans, or lots of gear.

It helps to control frame flex, axle wrap, and bending the frame to add the addition plates to the frame. Better yet is to full box the inside of the frame.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #1210
Neighborhood Know-it-all

I finished up my ubolt flip over the weekend. This included a rear shock relocation and install of axle relocation plates. The relocation plates definitely help center the wheel in the fenders better.

getting the shocks in the right spot for optimal travel has been a little tricky. Long story short the OME nitrochargers just won't allow for the complete range of travel possible with the Dakar springs. You will either limit compression travel or droop.

I'm making some final tweaks tonight to the upper shock mounts, but mine will have a bias to allow more droop than compression. Pics to come shortly.
Old 05-13-2013, 03:29 PM   #1212
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
AHHHH I SEE! i knew there was a good reason if you did it...lol....keep up the good work sir!
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #1213
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Pics of rear shock relocation.

after some tweaking I think I ended up with pretty balanced travel from the 10" stroke OME shocks. Right about 5" of travel in droop and compression. I'm using the whole shock for sure and with the position of the shocks I'm getting a bit farther drop than I was in the stock location.

It rides a little different (not bad just different) with both shocks angled to the rear. I'm still on the search for some replacement shocks with just a bit more range of travel that are the right length. This setup will work for Moab and until I find the right one to replace the OMEs

Welded in a new crossmember directly underneath the the upper mount on the driverside.

TG ubolt flip was straight forward. However, with the spring relocation plates (can see them between the spring perch and spring) the hole in the ubolt plate didn't line up so I had to expend the hole in the plate. So anyone doing the TG ubolt flip in conjunction with spring relocation plates, be prepared to modify the ubolt plates with a larger hole for the center pin. I moved my axle backward 3/4" and it seems just right. The plates allow for 3/4" or 1" of movement in either direction.

Few gratuitous poser shots since I was taking pics and the truck was clean.

Little bit of rake (which I like)

Old 05-14-2013, 07:33 AM   #1214
άber Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, man!!! Clean work.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #1215
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
very nice!

so is that the setup that limited your shock travel or is that the revised position?
Old 05-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #1216
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I will find a way how to...and I will make sweet love to your truck
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #1217
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCO View Post
very nice!

so is that the setup that limited your shock travel or is that the revised position?
The stock position was limiting travel for sure. The Dakars just have more flex in them than the shocks allow. Since I'm using the same shocks (for now) I've positioned them in what seems to be the best position to allow for the most travel. The upper mounts are probably 2.5" lower than the stock location and the lower mounts are about 2.5" higher than the stock lower mounts, but there is slightly more angle to the shock position.

If you notice, I still need new bumpstops to limit compression so I don't bottom out the shock, but the new position allows the Dakars to hit almost their max droop which they couldn't do before with the stock mounts.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:52 AM   #1218
‹^› ‹(ಠ_ಠ)› ‹^›
NYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNYCO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: bOb
NYCO's Tacoma Gallery
nice work

sure you'll find a good way to finalize the design but that's a nice setup to work with what you have
Old 05-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #1219
Littlebro 5 will become famous soon enough

Name: Tyler
Littlebro 5's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great man. You will like the || much more than the /\ I know I do.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:59 AM   #1220
Neighborhood Know-it-all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebro 5 View Post
Looks great man. You will like the || much more than the /\ I know I do.
yeah i think so too. Since the shocks are more to the center now I lose a little stability but having them parrallel seems to control body roll just fine. The angled setup doesn't do that as well.

Products Discussed in this Thread