Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Gilligan's Build

Old 10-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #1
gilligan has a spectacular aura aboutgilligan has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ashley
gilligan's Tacoma Gallery
Gilligan's Build

Figured it was time to start puttin this together. So here she is.

I have a 2002 Regular Cab Manual 2.7L 4x4.
The previous owner (a "friend") put the truck's paint job through hell and back.
It had its fair share of scratches down both sides, but other than that it was in good shape.
When we got it in 2006 it had 92K on it.
It now has 156K and counting.

I don't believe I have a picture of it when I first got but this is pretty close to what it looked like,
minus the UWS aluminum tool box, whip, tint, and the front bumper was grey and rusty.

It had a junky, black, rusty tool box in the back that I replaced with a UWS I picked up off Craigslist for $50.

I took the front bumper off and painted it black, don't have the before picture but here is the after:

Then I got some new rims and tires off Craigslist. Tires were a bit worn but I really just wanted the rims.

I got some precut tint off Ebay for around $12. 20% front, 5% back.
As you can tell in the first picture, I screwed up the back window on the driver side when I tried to put it on. (still gotta fix that)

As I said before the paint job wasn't the greatest, so I have done some work on it. I got some 2000 grit (i believe)
wet/dry sandpaper and sanded down most of the scratches on the truck. Then buffed it with Rubbing Compound and
then Polishing Compound. After all that the truck looked pretty dull, so I waxed it a few times with some Turtle Wax.
It isn't showroom quality, but I got rid of most all the scratches. Most of the ones left are down to the primer and need
to be touched up with some touch-up paint.

Here is how she looks after washing and waxing:
The corners look clear in the picture, but they aren't...yet.

I got me a set of 31x10.50x15 BFG A/T's with a lot of tread left for cheap from a guy on Craigslist (I live on Craigslist lol)

Since the rims I had were 16", I needed a different rim.
So I decided I would paint my old stock steelies black.
The rims were pretty chipped up and rusty. One of the rims was sanded a little before I took this picture.
I'm still working on it at the moment but here is my progress so far:

BEFORE

Here is one rim almost all they way sanded. I originally had the idea to sand to the bare metal and just clear coat it, but I decided against that.

I have 2 coats of primer and 2 coats of black on them so far.

Tried to clear coat them after the black but it didn't turn out so well, so I'm gonna redo them without the clear coat.
I just used the cheap $1 gloss black spray paint from Wally World. I'm not too worried about them chipping or messing up, I can just put another coat of paint on them later if I have to.

I am hoping to have the rims done by the weekend and have the tires mounted next week sometime. When I do I will post pictures.

For the future:
  • Clear Corners
  • Custom Front/Rear Bumpers
  • Lift (Thinking about front strut spacers, and either AALs or shackles. Suggestions?)
  • K&N CAI
  • Swap the bench for bucket seats (Already have the seats just have to put them in)
Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM   #2
The Messiah
90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed90YotaPU is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
90YotaPU's Tacoma Gallery
Wow that truck looks great after the cleanup. Love the regular cabs. Be sure and post more pics.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
TacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacomaJack09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jackson
TacomaJack09's Tacoma Gallery
Whats the truck look like after the new rims and tires? Well not new rims, but repainted rims?? Looks great!!

Instead of the strut spacer you should look into Bilstein 5100's. Just my .02.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:10 AM   #4
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
looks good man!
Old 10-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
gilligan has a spectacular aura aboutgilligan has a spectacular aura about

Name: Ashley
gilligan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
i believe the owner is a female. but the truck does look good what part of sc are you on?
Thanks. Guys aren't the only ones that drive trucks! lol. But I live in Ravenel, about 20 min from Charleston.
Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Good lookin truck
Old 10-17-2010, 07:05 PM   #8
4wd tacoma
trd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtrd7 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
trd7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan View Post
Thanks. Guys aren't the only ones that drive trucks! lol. But I live in Ravenel, about 20 min from Charleston.
haha sorry