Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

2003 Tacoma dblcab TRD PreRunner 4wd conversion

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM   #21
Lifted 'n Locked 4WD Prerunner
01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed01tacoprerunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
01tacoprerunner's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to 01tacoprerunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkie View Post
Same crossmember, only thing that changes is the mount.
Sweet ok man, i was getting a little worried about it.

Like this:

Edit nvm i did some reading that was the wrong one.....guess ill just go to toyota and get one.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #22
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Good job so far dude, I'm curious though, what prompted you to do this ? Did you already have access to a wrecked or totaled 4x IFS for parts ?

Reason I ask is from similar POST & threads pertaining to 4x conversions alot of responses were not so much if it could be done but the cost involved converting in relation to just trading up for similar year 4x4, I guess what I mean is did/do you find it was feasible $$ cost wise?? (not even going to include the labor, because its a labor of love right ??
Old 01-25-2011, 07:31 AM   #23
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Snorks
Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
several years ago i bought a 3rz with transmission and transfercase for cheap. was gonna do a swap on my 94 truck but ended up selling the truck. Bought the tacoma, then one day I found the front diff on craigslist when I picked it up the guy had done the 4wd conversion to his truck also. He told me to check out TTORA... so after looking at pics I was hooked. As far as parts you just have to keep an eye out on forums/craigslist. I probably spent about $1000 and still have a 3rz left over. Labor - Me and my dad did everything.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #24
Trail Leader
Snorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shedSnorkie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Bellhousing and pump removed

some internal parts

removing valvebody

without VB

removing snap ring from output shaft

all this work just to swap out this shaft

2wd shaft

4wd shaft and VB reinstalled

transfercase adapter thingy
Old 01-25-2011, 07:33 AM   #25
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
transfercase and adapter
Old 01-25-2011, 09:19 AM   #26
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up

Quote:
several years ago i bought a 3rz with transmission and transfercase for cheap. was gonna do a swap on my 94 truck but ended up selling the truck. Bought the tacoma, then one day I found the front diff on craigslist when I picked it up the guy had done the 4wd conversion to his truck also. He told me to check out TTORA... so after looking at pics I was hooked. As far as parts you just have to keep an eye out on forums/craigslist. I probably spent about $1000 and still have a 3rz left over. Labor - Me and my dad did everything.

Nice !!! even better you & your Dad are doing it together, this project will be some good memories down the road...

I'm getting pretty burnt out on my IFS, I'm pretty much old school all my other 4x's have been solid axle & I know what you mean about seeing something & getting hooked, I fell in love with this 2000 SAS (same year as mine minus the IFS) eventually SAS w/coils will replace my front end...

You have a real ass kicker there for a project, congrats man !!

Old 01-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #27
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, he's always helped me and my brother with our late night projects! lol

Here's a pic of his 82
Old 03-14-2011, 06:41 PM   #28
You can't fix stupid
Drew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Drew
Drew5387's Tacoma Gallery
I wanting to do the conversion to my 2003 black double cab prerunner. How is the conversion working for you?
Old 03-18-2011, 09:14 PM   #29
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew5387 View Post
I wanting to do the conversion to my 2003 black double cab prerunner. How is the conversion working for you?
Great!
Old 03-18-2011, 10:19 PM   #30
You can't fix stupid
Drew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the roughDrew5387 is a jewel in the rough

Name: Drew
Drew5387's Tacoma Gallery
Thats good. Once i get my job when school is out, ill be making the conversion. I can't wait
Old 03-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #31
tacomazach has a spectacular aura abouttacomazach has a spectacular aura about

Name: Zach
tacomazach's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-07-2012, 05:18 PM   #32
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Just got done replacing the rack and pinion bushings.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #33
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew5387 View Post
Old post, but he wheels the piss out of his truck.
Quote:
Just got done replacing the rack and pinion bushings.
Pics
Old 04-11-2014, 12:50 AM   #34
galveznano is on a distinguished road
Name: Leo
galveznano's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
transmission and t-case ready to go back in.
Im planning on doing the same conversion, is changing the output shaft absolutelly nescesary? Or can something be modified to work without dissasembling the trans to that extent?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:14 AM   #35
Trail Leader

Snorkie's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by galveznano View Post
Im planning on doing the same conversion, is changing the output shaft absolutelly nescesary? Or can something be modified to work without dissasembling the trans to that extent?
You can go with a adapter with a lefty transfercase for about $2350+
Old 06-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #36
Robby655 is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air traffic controller
Name: Rob
Robby655's Tacoma Gallery
so to make a prerunner trans work you just need to switch adapter shafts? what is the "transfercase adapter thingy" thanks!.. got everything i neeed for the swap just need to figure out what imma do with my tranny, whether it be get a new one or have the shafts swapped...