Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Converting to manual trans?

Old 02-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
cheese7882 is on a distinguished road

cheese7882's Tacoma Gallery
Converting to manual trans?

I am curious to know of how difficult and costly it would be to take my '97 2wd tacoma and swap out the automatic transmission for a manual.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Why not sell it and get a manual? Unless you have a secondary vehicle I wouldn't attempt it because based on how much time you have your truck will be out of commission for a long time not to mention the money you'd put out for all the parts etc
Old 02-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Shoudnt be too hard. You'll need a different sized drive shaft, and the computer from a man trans truck, but it should bolt up. The hole for the shifter is alread in the floor, just patched over.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
StormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shedStormTrooper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ron
StormTrooper's Tacoma Gallery
My buddy converted his automatic Jetta to a manual.. he said it was around $4000, but the shift box is all torn spart and shit looking
Old 02-11-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
My buddy converted his automatic Jetta to a manual.. he said it was around $4000, but the shift box is all torn spart and shit looking
I just did it to a buddys 86 Toyota for less than 250 bucks.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Damn 250 is a freakin sweet deal on parts and stuff
Old 02-11-2011, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
Damn 250 is a freakin sweet deal on parts and stuff
Junk yards, and bargining are your friends.
Old 02-11-2011, 03:31 PM   #8

Not for a Tacoma, but this will give you an idea of the work iinvolved.
http://www.6gc.net/howto/swap_auto_t...sion_to_manual
Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM   #9
Master of the Prius...
SpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryen
SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SpazzyB
Quote:
Why not sell it and get a manual? Unless you have a secondary vehicle I wouldn't attempt it because based on how much time you have your truck will be out of commission for a long time not to mention the money you'd put out for all the parts etc
idk why everyones option for something it to sell and buy another truck. maybe some people don't want to sell their truck to get another with something their current one doesn't have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormTrooper View Post
You friend spent WAYYYY too much money.
Old 02-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #10

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Yes but I went out of my way to get exacttly what I wanted the first time so I wouldn't have to think about switching later.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #11

I just miss driving a manual but that thing was on its last legs and my buddy made me an offer for his tacoma that I just couldn't turn down.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:33 PM   #12
REALLY!!
mrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrp192 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: F-22 Crew Chief
Name: Brent
mrp192's Tacoma Gallery
this was huge when I owned a 240sx
http://forums.nicoclub.com/auto-to-m...n-t181139.html

but it was be the same idea..
Old 02-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #13

finding a tacoma w59 transmission in 2wd on the internet is proving to be difficult
Old 02-12-2011, 02:14 AM   #14
Master of the Prius...
SpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpazzyB is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryen
SpazzyB's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to SpazzyB
Quote:
Yes but I went out of my way to get exacttly what I wanted the first time so I wouldn't have to think about switching later.
Cool story bro.