Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

MapleMoose's Build

Old 03-12-2013, 11:58 PM   #202
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
wait like the shackle points?

Shackle points on front bumpers dont tie into the frame...its just 3/4" plate uber welded to the front.
On the one I built for the rear, my tow points went straight through the plate and were actually the pieces that got bolted to the frame, so there wouldn't be any strain or tension on the plate of the bumper. Pull right on the frame.
I'll try to find a pic
edit: I guess all I'm saying is keep the tow points close to the place that attaches to the frame.
I went straight through because it was easier.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 AM   #203
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
wait like the shackle points?

Shackle points on front bumpers dont tie into the frame...its just 3/4" plate uber welded to the front.
I think front bumpers are bolted on stronger to the frame than the rear. Also tugging someone out using the rear is a lot harder on it than being tugged on. And its not good to be using your front bumper to tug someone out in reverse.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #204
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
make sure the tail gate can open man..that looks a tad high..
Its just mocked up. Nothing is even close to be bolted yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
On the one I built for the rear, my tow points went straight through the plate and were actually the pieces that got bolted to the frame, so there wouldn't be any strain or tension on the plate of the bumper. Pull right on the frame.
I'll try to find a pic
What thickness did you use? I was thinking 1/4"
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #205
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Its just mocked up. Nothing is even close to be bolted yet

What thickness did you use? I was thinking 1/4"
For the part that bolts to the frame or the tow points sticking out?
I used 3/4" x 2" flat bar for my tow points, straight through and bolted those to the frame. The only problem with that is you can't re-use the stock blots because you need longer ones.
Once you're through the bumper, I'd switch to something like 2" x 1" x 1/4" C-channel, almost like the stock mounting pieces but a little beefier.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #206
vette6991 will become famous soon enough

vette6991's Tacoma Gallery
sub
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #207
AWESOME MEMBER

Whats up dude? Anything happening? Bumper progress?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:32 AM   #208
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
Whats up dude? Anything happening? Bumper progress?
Nothing new.... Ive been really busy these days. Also looking for a place to move has been stressful. Truck is started to show its age. Just hit 392,000 kms last week and i need to start putting money into fixing the front end suspension. LCAs, LBJs, cv boots, bearings... Engine also needs some work.. Haven't wheeled it in almost a year

BTW, do you have your stock LCA's still? Good shape?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #209
AWESOME MEMBER

Quote:
Nothing new.... Ive been really busy these days. Also looking for a place to move has been stressful. Truck is started to show its age. Just hit 392,000 kms last week and i need to start putting money into fixing the front end suspension. LCAs, LBJs, cv boots, bearings... Engine also needs some work.. Haven't wheeled it in almost a year

BTW, do you have your stock LCA's still? Good shape?
I hear ya. I'll send you some pics of the LCA's
Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM   #211
Drunk Canadian

move along nothing to see here
Old 06-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #212
flash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to beholdflash9588 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Alex
flash9588's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Haven't wheeled it in almost a year
That's something we can fix. Whipsaw thanksgiving weekend? Trying to get some guys together to do it. Any interest?
Old 06-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #213
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash9588 View Post
That's something we can fix. Whipsaw thanksgiving weekend? Trying to get some guys together to do it. Any interest?

possibly
Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #214
Drunk Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash9588 View Post
Sounds good to me!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:10 AM   #218
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
thats a nice looking sledgehammer
Old 07-12-2013, 09:14 AM   #219
Drunk Canadian

thats not a sledge hammer. thats for breaking beads off tractor tires
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #220
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
thats not a sledge hammer. thats for breaking beads off tractor tires
well its hard to tell when you take a wierd picture like that