Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

G scotts PreRunner(soon4x4)

Old 05-04-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Garrett
G scott04's Tacoma Gallery
G scotts PreRunner(soon4x4)

I've had my truck for just over a year now, and recently I decided
to commit to the project of converting it 4x4.

What I've done so far

• Falken Rocky mts 265/75/r16
  • OME coilovers
  • Rear 5100's
  • Home made Rear Bumper
  • Home made Spare carrier
  • Debadged
  • Recessed Grill
  • Color matched lower valance
  • Painted wheels black
  • Red Guage lights
  • New radio
  • Flowmaster 40
  • Exhaust cut before axle
  • Deckplate
  • K&N filter
  • Swapped output shafts

(thanks Brian)

But I could always take a few more pics If there is anything else you want to see?

And now for the 4x4 conversion!!

This is what I need to do the project..

• Output shaft swap (installed)
  • Transfer case (installed)
  • Front Drive shaft (check)
  • Rear Drive shaft (installed)
  • Front differential
  • Spindles
  • Manual Hubs
  • CV axles
  • Shifter (installed)
  • Floor shifter plate (cut and installed)
  • Interior plastics
  • Speed sensor? (installed)
  • Crossmember piece (installed)

Update:

Disconnecting sensors and shifter linkage..

Removed the driveshafts

Dropped the transmission out (finally, took all day) and removed the torque converter

Torque converter

Empty under there.. and the big ass gear

2wd transmission cross member

Removed bell housing, pan and valve body

Removed the rest of the internal parts

empty tranny..

the guts of the automatic..

2wd tail housing and output shaft

4wd shaft installed in my transmission

reinstalled all the internals, new filter, and cleaned up the seal of the old pink sealant

scraping it off of the pan..

pulled out the seats for easy access, and cleaned it up! then pulled the shifter out.

can't determine why there are no freakin speed sensors in the 4wds so i have to buy one to go where this plug was

extending the wires for the speed sensor

installed the bell housing

all ready to go back into the truck

And after Sorting out the speed sensor, which fixed my shifting,

The final problem was that my fuse for the gauges was blown!!!
me and brian think it shorted when he cut the wires..
so disconnect your battery!!

But now the transfer case is installed on my truck,
and Everything works perfect

NOw I just need to find a front diff, cv's and hubs.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Lets get the build going!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
woot woot, ill be out of school soon and i could drop by and help out if needed! im not much help but i can hold shit in place and stuff
Old 05-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
sweet! good luck. My truck keeps having problems with the 4wd so I'm thinking a manual 4wd instead of a switch would be a good idea..

You think that would be possible? I'm only asking because you are converting to 4x4 and i've never heard of anyone else doing this. kinda similar to what I'd like to do
Old 05-04-2011, 04:22 PM   #5
G scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shedG scott04 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
Lets get the build going!!!
Yeah was excited i found the main components quickly and cheaply
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
woot woot, ill be out of school soon and i could drop by and help out if needed! im not much help but i can hold shit in place and stuff
Sweet dude the help would definitely be appreciated thx
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLink View Post
sweet! good luck. My truck keeps having problems with the 4wd so I'm thinking a manual 4wd instead of a switch would be a good idea..

You think that would be possible? I'm only asking because you are converting to 4x4 and i've never heard of anyone else doing this. kinda similar to what I'd like to do
Not sure, I think Some guys on ttora swapped to manual hubs
from Automatic disconnecting ones.. not sure if thats what your looking for?
Idk anything about 2nd gen trucks though
Old 05-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
nelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shednelson18matt is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Ex-Cone
nelson18matt's Tacoma Gallery
good looking truck. how you like the falken tires?
Old 05-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Chewie is my Co-pilot
YumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedYumaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: David
YumaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
I guess he can say..... They're Falken Good.

Old 05-04-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Nuttier than squirrel shit.
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brian
BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97yota4wd View Post
well your welcome to come over and help me remove my cab lol

im just hoping i can help out garrett fast enough with this so he can make it to the july run, i might have to ride with him...
Old 05-04-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Street glide or die
yotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shedyotamikez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
yotamikez's Tacoma Gallery
those falkens look good, the 4x4 conversion is cool too. I like the look of 1st gens, I woulda done more research id probably buy one instead of a 2nd gen.
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson18matt View Post
I really like them I was very impressed with the huge difference
they made from my old tires.. only complaint is they rub on the frame drivers side.. but I heard thats a common problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by yumatrd View Post
I guess he can say..... They're Falken Good.

Nice lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
well your welcome to come over and help me remove my cab lol

im just hoping i can help out garrett fast enough with this so he can make it to the july run, i might have to ride with him...
Yeah we gotta get a few guys to get out there and help you out!!

and thanks! Tricity transmission quoted me 200 to open up the tranny
take a look and then reseal it with a new filter and stuff, and tell me what the deal is with the transmission.
not sure If I want to do that or not.. or do it ourselves?
whatcha think?
Old 05-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #11
Jag/Nole Fanatic!
Rippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to beholdRippin101 is a splendid one to behold

Name: John
Rippin101's Tacoma Gallery
Truck already looks great but can't wait to see what else you have in store for it!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Deltabox's Better Half
himmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shedhimmie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sarah
himmie's Tacoma Gallery
Finally made a build... Good luck with your 4x4 conversion, I look forward to watching the progress!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:57 PM   #13
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Thinking about do the same thing, swapping to 4x4 just need to save up now ha
try http://car-part.com/ for the rest of the parts
Old 05-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
BFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBFA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
I really like them I was very impressed with the huge difference
they made from my old tires.. only complaint is they rub on the frame drivers side.. but I heard thats a common problem

Nice lol

Yeah we gotta get a few guys to get out there and help you out!!

and thanks! Tricity transmission quoted me 200 to open up the tranny
take a look and then reseal it with a new filter and stuff, and tell me what the deal is with the transmission.
not sure If I want to do that or not.. or do it ourselves?
whatcha think?
honestly its your trans.. ill help you out whatever direction you wanna go
Old 05-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rippin101 View Post
Truck already looks great but can't wait to see what else you have in store for it!
I'll definently try to keep real good track of this project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himmie View Post
Finally made a build... Good luck with your 4x4 conversion, I look forward to watching the progress!
thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman5015 View Post
Thinking about do the same thing, swapping to 4x4 just need to save up now ha
try http://car-part.com/ for the rest of the parts
Yeah it should be a great project!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFA View Post
honestly its your trans.. ill help you out whatever direction you wanna go
Yeah You know what, I think we can open it up replace the filter
and flush It with clean fluid ourselves

My only concern Is those sensors/connectors
anyone knowledgable want to supervise??
Old 05-04-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Wait a minute.......
I put this in the wrong area!
was in a hurry when posting...

The build section... Pshhh!!!
who woulda thought of something like that??

at least I didn't put it in 2nd gen..
or maybe i should have
Old 05-04-2011, 11:54 PM   #17
Living vicariously through everybody
derekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shedderekabraham is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: TW'S Hippy Liberal
derekabraham's Tacoma Gallery
Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 AM   #18

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by G scott04 View Post
I'll definently try to keep real good track of this project.

thanks

Yeah it should be a great project!

Yeah You know what, I think we can open it up replace the filter
and flush It with clean fluid ourselves

My only concern Is those sensors/connectors
anyone knowledgable want to supervise??
just look over the service manual when you get it, it labels all the parts and pretty much shows you diagrams of everything so its fairly straight forward
Old 05-05-2011, 06:33 AM   #19
REX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shedREX_111_MDG_BMET is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSGT, BMET
REX_111_MDG_BMET's Tacoma Gallery
perhaps we can make this a sticky so that we won't have 10 new threads every other day from people asking about this??
Old 05-05-2011, 06:56 AM   #20

BFA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by REX_111_MDG_BMET View Post
perhaps we can make this a sticky so that we won't have 10 new threads every other day from people asking about this??
this is his build thread not a question.. he just posted it in the wrong section