Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Frankenstein Build! LT/Expo/Trail rig..and BS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #3621
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
The Frankenstein Build! LT/Expo/Trail rig..and BS-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21368122078.950399.jpg

I've never ran an Aussie or spartan but I have ran a lockright and I was not happy with it at all. It seemed to act more like an open/limited slip more than a locker. On the street it was great cause it would ratchet like nobody's business but on the trails the traction addition was nice but it could have been way better.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #3622
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
The main difference is the pin size for the lockers. Ill try to find the comparison pic I have later to show ya. And I kinda have to disagree with a crawl box is useless being open. I'd personally rather have a duals over a locker just to add the extra challenge. Open diffs make you really pick and chose your lines where as with a locker you don't have to be so nit picky.
Yea a crawl box will be handy no matter what.

Quote:
Attachment 211570

I've never ran an Aussie or spartan but I have ran a lockright and I was not happy with it at all. It seemed to act more like an open/limited slip more than a locker. On the street it was great cause it would ratchet like nobody's business but on the trails the traction addition was nice but it could have been way better.
Interesting.

Spartan doesn't make a 8.4 tho either wtf?!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #3623
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Got my winch line on! Ready for this weekend. Fellow expedition portal guy has a rig stuck up n the mountains. Been there since dec 5th haha hopefully won't need it but glad ill have it!

Also rewired my isolation solenoid. My aux battery is so dead that it wouldn't flip the solenoid. So rewired it to the main battery. Suck the aux battery is nearly dead. But good that the isolator works. I just need to flip it off more often. Guess that's what's nice about the fancey auto ones.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:54 PM   #3624
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The main difference is the pin size for the lockers. Ill try to find the comparison pic I have later to show ya. And I kinda have to disagree with a crawl box is useless being open. I'd personally rather have a duals over a locker just to add the extra challenge. Open diffs make you really pick and chose your lines where as with a locker you don't have to be so nit picky.
Sort of. My experience with open/open guys is that it usually involves having to back up and bump some things or back up more and get a little speed. It's harder to do that with a crawlbox. One of the guys I wheel with has an open/open Jeep Commanche pickup. He refuses to lock it cuz he said it's more fun since lockers make it easier but he is always abusing the shit out of his rig trying to get up things. Half the time I can come behind him and finesse my way up them with my dual locked 33's. Depending on the obstacle it is just as hard for me with both my lockers because I usually have to pick a good line as well to keep from high-centering. Ben has some good pics of this guy using his rig on one of the obstacles that I have yet to try due to not having any belly armor yet.

If I wasn't going to get a locker, I would put the crawlbox money into bigger tires instead of a crawlbox.

Here's the only pic of him that I have
Old 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #3625
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Got my winch line on! Ready for this weekend. Fellow expedition portal guy has a rig stuck up n the mountains. Been there since dec 5th haha hopefully won't need it but glad ill have it!

Also rewired my isolation solenoid. My aux battery is so dead that it wouldn't flip the solenoid. So rewired it to the main battery. Suck the aux battery is nearly dead. But good that the isolator works. I just need to flip it off more often. Guess that's what's nice about the fancey auto ones.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #3629
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Idk if that would be more fun then a crawl box..

i bet you would have more fun with a good suspension set up than a crawl box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Sort of. My experience with open/open guys is that it usually involves having to back up and bump some things or back up more and get a little speed. It's harder to do that with a crawlbox. One of the guys I wheel with has an open/open Jeep Commanche pickup. He refuses to lock it cuz he said it's more fun since lockers make it easier but he is always abusing the shit out of his rig trying to get up things. Half the time I can come behind him and finesse my way up them with my dual locked 33's. Depending on the obstacle it is just as hard for me with both my lockers because I usually have to pick a good line as well to keep from high-centering. Ben has some good pics of this guy using his rig on one of the obstacles that I have yet to try due to not having any belly armor yet.

If I wasn't going to get a locker, I would put the crawlbox money into bigger tires instead of a crawlbox.

Here's the only pic of him that I have
look at those tires there, sitting still being uselss
Old 05-16-2013, 03:46 PM   #3631
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: A1C
Name: Brent
PcBuilder14's Tacoma Gallery
So, a random post... But do you plan on going with a cantilever setup in the back? I just saw that Engage Offroad can sell a kit for us 1st gens and now I want to go LT!
Old 05-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #3632
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
So, a random post... But do you plan on going with a cantilever setup in the back? I just saw that Engage Offroad can sell a kit for us 1st gens and now I want to go LT!

Yes i do plan on it. THo i didn't know they sold a kit? Its a VERY involved process. the Geometry of it is intense and needs to be done right. lots of custom work. Im not sure id trust just a kit..

im not seeing this kit you speak of..

I talked to them about doing my rig..NOT cheap. And would take about a month to do or more.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:57 PM   #3633
PcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shedPcBuilder14 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yes i do plan on it. THo i didn't know they sold a kit? Its a VERY involved process. the Geometry of it is intense and needs to be done right. lots of custom work. Im not sure id trust just a kit..

im not seeing this kit you speak of..

I talked to them about doing my rig..NOT cheap. And would take about a month to do or more.
They apparently offer up a Weld-it-yourself kit, an install-it-yourself-kit, and a cut-it-yourself kit where they just sell you the DXF file so you can just have a CNC cut it for you locally.

I won't be doing it for at least another 3 years or so, but I'm definitely looking into it!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #3635

Quote:
Interesting. Is that on their site??

I am hoping to right after college. Probably to my double cab now tho. It'll get the LT stuff and Frankenstein will get SAS.
No, Engage mentioned in a thread and I said I was interested and he pm'ed me. PM Engage Offroad and he'll give you info and pricing. It doesn't sound too bad to me...

As soon as I have a new DD, I'm probably going to go for this kit!
Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #3637

Quote:
Huh..interesting.

Well ill have to look into it.

Would make my life a bit easier that's for sure.
Definitely! I was just going to SAS mine down the road, but LT is so much more appeasing to me. Plus with LT you can still do awesome trails, SAS wouldn't be so fun in the dunes....
Old 05-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #3639

Quote:
Actually you can still hit the dunes with SAS quite well. All has to do with valving. I mean come on..ever watch KOH??
Haha I knew you would say that. I just didn't feel like putting in a long explanation! Lets just say I'd prefer LT for a trail/dune combo over SAS.

Products Discussed in this Thread