Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Frankenstein Build! LT/Expo/Trail rig..and BS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-18-2013, 06:53 PM   #3702
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
you would like the 18" magnaflow. its quietish
Yeah but many have said you lose low end power and fuel economy.... so I wouldn't like it that much.
Old 05-18-2013, 06:58 PM   #3703
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Yea 18 isn't very loud.

Okay so update time.

So my last trip I did some winch ping and tugging with my bumper. It bent forward pretty badly or so it seemed it had bent at the frame mounts. Turns out it did but only a small part of the mounts. Took a few whacks with a hammer and it was flat again! Cut out some 1/4" plate we had lying around and drill a hole just like the bumper. Going to weld them into the bumper later tonight or tomorrow. Should make it quite stout! Tim at Elite was very helpful and almost mad it had bent he offered to make me a whole new center section if needed or anything for me. Was very helpful and stood by his product. Love Elite! Thanks Tim!

Here are pics of the bumper on the truck

Here it is off the truck. Nothing else bent at all other then the outside part by the mounts

Couple hits with a hammer and bam!

So my dad whipped out the oxy/setilin torch and a slab of 1/4" plate we had lying around and cut out 2 squares 4x6" to mount right behind the mount.

Cleaned off the rust and lined up where to drill holes

Drilled. What a bitch. This stuff is HARD.

Put a bolt in to hold it in place for welding

More to come!
Old 05-18-2013, 07:02 PM   #3704
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at

But I'll stay and find out how it ends.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #3705
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Yeah but many have said you lose low end power and fuel economy.... so I wouldn't like it that much.
I went to Cherry bomb and didn't realize how much low end I lost. THe magnaflow was a big improvement. Low end is back where it was. For fuel economy, I have done a lot of other stuff to my truck and can't say exactly what's made mine drop. I do believe it is an improvement over the cherry bomb though. Although that might because I drove like a race car with that loud ass thing.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:06 PM   #3706
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what I'm looking at

But I'll stay and find out how it ends.
Fixing the elite I'm guessing
Old 05-18-2013, 07:14 PM   #3707
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcBuilder14 View Post
You can't really go wrong with Magnaflow. Period.
Agreed

Quote:
Nah not really. Not that bad with magnaflow. Flowmaster yes

Quote:
Yep. And beefing it up.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #3708

Quote:
Well yeah... I'm not that knobtacular.

I just don't see what I'm supposed to be looking at in the pics
Old 05-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #3710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Nah not really. Not that bad with magnaflow. .

I've read you claiming that many times.

And then even saw a chart that magnaflow uses to show gains... but it's in the 4000-5000 rpm range. And when asked, "why are they showing that range?" The answer was, "because if they showed you the low end, no one would buy them"

Hypothetically, if I were to buy an 18" would I need to get mostly new piping for my exhaust? Mine is still stock, 15 years old, and I would assume kind of corroded.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:24 PM   #3711
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea 18 isn't very loud.

Okay so update time.

So my last trip I did some winch ping and tugging with my bumper. It bent forward pretty badly or so it seemed it had bent at the frame mounts. Turns out it did but only a small part of the mounts. Took a few whacks with a hammer and it was flat again! Cut out some 1/4" plate we had lying around and drill a hole just like the bumper. Going to weld them into the bumper later tonight or tomorrow. Should make it quite stout! Tim at Elite was very helpful and almost mad it had bent he offered to make me a whole new center section if needed or anything for me. Was very helpful and stood by his product. Love Elite! Thanks Tim!

Here are pics of the bumper on the truck

Here it is off the truck. Nothing else bent at all other then the outside part by the mounts

Couple hits with a hammer and bam!

So my dad whipped out the oxy/setilin torch and a slab of 1/4" plate we had lying around and cut out 2 squares 4x6" to mount right behind the mount.

Cleaned off the rust and lined up where to drill holes

Drilled. What a bitch. This stuff is HARD.

Put a bolt in to hold it in place for welding

More to come!
Wow. All I can say is WOW.

It looks to me like the whole center section really should be made out of 1/4". You were not doing anything out of order. It should not have bent like that. WOW.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #3712
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Wow. All I can say is WOW.

It looks to me like the whole center section really should be made out of 1/4". You were not doing anything out of order. It should not have bent like that. WOW.
Yea it might not be a bad idea for him to make that piece out if 1/4" now..but hey. Not my call. If there weren't gussets to the front skid I'd put 1/4" all behind it. But it's impossible.

But I'm actually amazed that that is the only part that is bent. Literally everything else is straight. Other then one spot on the sorta bottom of it from when I hit the rock and a another when I hit the ledge on TOTW.

This should fix it though I think.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:27 PM   #3713

Quote:
The part that is bent is the part the bolts to the front of my frame for the bumper. It bent when I did some big winching since the side bolts slipped under the pressure.

Hey speaking of slipping, bending bolts, etc... can I thread jack for a second?

I'm going to buy a d-ring recovery thingamagiggy for my hitch receiver and read a thread here about what pins to use. Dudes were throwing out all sort of force threshold numbers and weight ratings, etc and said to only get a 5/8ths (?) pin or else using it for recovery is useless. Here's the thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...w-hitch-2.html

I have a class III 2" receiver... essentially what I'm asking is, "what the hell should I get?"

I'm just going to use it for recovery.

FWIW I was looking at this d-ring shackle: http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-293.../dp/B001CF1A7O
Old 05-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #3714
Dr. Frankenstein

Quote:

I'm going to buy a d-ring recovery thingamagiggy for my hitch receiver and read a thread here about what pins to use. Dudes were throwing out all sort of force threshold numbers and weight ratings, etc and said to only get a 5/8ths (?) pin or else using it for recovery is useless. Here's the thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...w-hitch-2.html

I have a class III 2" receiver... essentially what I'm asking is, "what the hell should I get?"

FWIW I was looking at this d-ring shackle: http://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-293.../dp/B001CF1A7O
Honestly just a 5/8ths will do for recover I'd think. I'd carry an extra for the hell of it. But usually you won't be getting super tugged with it. Your rig is light it won't take much to get it unstuck or moved.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #3715

Thanks Monte

Yeah, I figured I'd throw a spare one or two in the recovery kit.

And after reading some reviews on that Smittybilt I might look for another shackle
Old 05-18-2013, 07:40 PM   #3716
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I'm using that smittybilt thing in my rear receiver
Old 05-18-2013, 07:44 PM   #3717
Professional Web Wheeler

I've been using a standard hitch pin on my truck and its pulled out several trucks and never had an issue.

Products Discussed in this Thread