Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

The Frankenstein Build! LT/Expo/Trail rig..and BS

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #5222
Washington State University
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Grunt
Name: Mark
SeattleCoug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
With a manual and 33s you'll be pretty low geared. Manuals are geared lower then autos.

That said I got to drive and ride in an auto with 4.88s and 33s with a tone of armor and it felt just like my 03 on 31s.
So if stock manuals are 4.10 gearing then what are autos?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #5223
curmudgeon
Pliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shedPliny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: they call me Bruce
Pliny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mmmm not by much. Just felt slower without a stick shift for you haha yours did not impress me..idk where this speed is that your always gloating about haha
Old 10-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #5225
SeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shedSeattleCoug is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
With a manual and 33s you'll be pretty low geared. Manuals are geared lower then autos.

That said I got to drive and ride in an auto with 4.88s and 33s with a tone of armor and it felt just like my 03 on 31s.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleCoug View Post
So if stock manuals are 4.10 gearing then what are autos?
Quote:
Also 4.10s

Well...unless your a prerunner or a 4 banger..then could be 3.93 or 4.30 or 4.56..
If they are also 4.10 then how are autos geared lower than manuals?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #5227

Quote:
Transmission gears are lower. Sorry should have clarified.
AH!
...okay that makes much more sense.

So a 1st Gen. re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.88 wouldn't be too swell for a manual, but ideal for an auto?
Old 10-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #5228
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Transmission gears are lower. Sorry should have clarified.
Numerically lower, mechanically higher.

The 1st gen auto's 1st gear is like 2.83ish and the 1st gen manual's is 3.83ish.
The 1st gen auto's last gear is like 0.70ish and the 1st gen manual's is 0.84ish.

That's a huge difference in 1st gears...
Old 10-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #5229
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
AH!
...okay that makes much more sense.

So a 1st Gen. re-gearing from 4.10 to 4.88 wouldn't be too swell for a manual, but ideal for an auto?
If you are running 35's or bigger it would be pretty nice in the manual. Might not be enough for the auto though.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #5232
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Mmmm not by much. Just felt slower without a stick shift for you haha yours did not impress me..idk where this speed is that your always gloating about haha
Doesn't matter if it's an inch or a mile,faster is faster....

You two didn't open her up enough I guess.
Old 10-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #5233

I just want to make sure that an auto (or my manual for that matter) won't have problems when carrying these items:
Front/Rear Plate Bumpers, 33s (won't go bigger), Canopy & a Winch

Edit: If it's gonna be extremely sluggish then I'll plan on re-gearing EVENTUALLY but otherwise will probably keep it how it is
Old 10-24-2013, 08:36 PM   #5234
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post

I floored it..a bunch..wasn't impressed haha not far off from me..haha

Quote:
I just really want to make sure that an auto (or my manual for that matter) won't have problems when carrying these items:
Front/Rear Plate Bumpers, 33s (won't go bigger), Canopy & a Winch
Hell no regearing will do that still..haha

For an auto, 4.88s

But your a manual..unless your thinking of buying one very soon..
Old 10-24-2013, 08:44 PM   #5235

Quote:
Hell no regearing will do that still..haha

For an auto, 4.88s

But your a manual..unless your thinking of buying one very soon..
Got it. Not gonna re-gear unless I get an auto then. That's lightyears away and not very likely so 4.10 manual 1st gen it is
Old 10-24-2013, 08:52 PM   #5237
RAGEAHOLIC
mh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shedmh.meier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sergeant, 12th MAR HQ BTRY TAP
Name: MAD MIKE
mh.meier's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd......because win
Old 10-24-2013, 09:11 PM   #5238

Quote:
You won't be heavier then me and I'm still on 4.10s haha the high ways suck for me mostly from wind drag but weight too. But no impossible to drive on. The more you add the more you decide if you want to regear. Not like you have to build the truck for another future truck. Might as well save all your money and just get the other truck
Yeah that sounds like a plan.
I'd buy another truck, but if that day comes (whether mine has to get sold, or it's totaled *knock on wood*)
I'm gonna buy a stock 1st Gen v6 3.4L all the same as mine now & just swap over the tires, armor, interior mods, and whatever else is on the Black Beauty now that I'll want
Old 10-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #5239
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh.meier View Post
Sub'd......because win

Quote:
Yeah that sounds like a plan.
I'd buy another truck, but if that day comes (whether mine has to get sold, or it's totaled *knock on wood*)
I'm gonna buy a stock 1st Gen v6 3.4L all the same as mine now & just swap over the tires, armor, interior mods, and whatever else is on the Black Beauty now that I'll want
Well that's assuming you can afford two trucks at the same time..and that it's same year and such to take the bumpers and whatnot..idk. Seems like if your not happy with the truck you have now...sell it and get the one at will make you happy. Just a waste otherwise..and gives you a clean slate to do something's differently. Like would you still get 5100s? Or a mid travel setup? Come on...haha
Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM   #5240
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post

I can see that we will have to settle this once and for all.

And I don't mean at 11,000 feet with one truck in front of the other on a 2-lane highway either. Equal or near equal weight too.

Products Discussed in this Thread