How it currently sits:
HDR Frankenstein2.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
HDR Frankenstein.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
HDR Frankenstein3.jpg by Monte Nickles Photos, on Flickr
My truck is a 96 4x4 v6 5 spd Tacoma and has been dubbed Frankenstein. Why? well..because most of the parts on it are not original. And by the time Im done with it, hardly anything will. I rolled the truck in May 2012 while at the Taco Take Over meet. Was a great meet..besides the roll over and my hand breakin. But you should go!
anyways, i did't have full coverage on insurance and didn't have any money for a new truck. I found a 2wd 1996 body for 500 bucks in ID and bought it and swapped it onto my 4wd frame and drive line over the period of the next 2 months. That is why you'll see some of the earlier pictures of my build are the awesome cool metallic silver, and why now its the dark green. Hope to repaint it one day maybe.
Anyways, that is why this thread is like 2 builds in one. Pre roll over, and post roll over. The first 45 pages or so are pre roll and 45 and beyond on post roll over.
I have gone through and tired my best to reorganize this post so everything should be linked. This thread is much longer and filled with lots of info and BS haha i have done my best to try and help you find specific things in my build for you. But please. Don't hesitate to flat out ask. I love how open this thread is about people asking questions and it doesn't even have to be related to my truck. We will help you!
Basically if its blue..its click able and will take you to a specific post in this thread or other where i have done write ups or how to's and trip reports.
As it sit now after the rebuild!
- 1st Setup: Click me to go to post of Install
- 5100 set at 0''
- 620lb 3'' Eibach coils form Toytech
- Wheelers Alcan 5 packs
- Toytech 1'' Lift shackles
- 8.5'' 5150s
Total lift: 3.5'' Front, 3'' or so out back. Tires are 31x10.5r15 BFG KM2s
- 2nd Setup: Click me to go to post
- Front: Same as Setup #1
- Wheelers Alcan 5 packs
- Wheelers AAL
- Toytech 1'' Lift shackles
- 10'' 5150 Click here for install
- 3rd Setup:
Wheel and Tire history
- 1st Setup:
- Stock 15'' rims. Repainted Silver. Write on how to repaint HERE
- 31x10.5r15 BFG KM2 Mud terrains
- 3rd Setup: Install HERE
- 4th Setup:
- Deckplate Mod. Done HERE
- Custom routed exhaust. 14'' Magnaflow Muffler, 2.5'' pipe out to 3'' tip. Pics HERE, HERE and HERE
- AFE Pro Dry Filter HERE
- BOMB Proof Solid Motor Mounts
- Solid Tranny mount
- Install of tranny mount AND motor mount HERE
- Trail Gear Ceramic HD Clutch Kit
- Decals from Sockmonkey. No longer on truck. Pics HERE and HERE
- Fiberwerx 4.5'' Flare Fiberglass fenders
- Just in case anyone wants just the photos of the rebuild of the roll over. Here you go. Links go in order of my posts of the rebuild but skips the BS. Just have a lot of windows or tabs open haha
- 12-Install new rear window. Get new rear leafs and rear bumper.
- 13-Got it running!
- 14- Paint rear bumper.
- 15-New wind shield. Doors on and fenders
- 16-Paint fenders and finish doors
- 17-Mount fenders
- 18-remount bumpers!
- 19-First attempt to rebuild leaf packs
- 20-rebuilding bed rack for first trip.
- 21-Done! Alive and rolling. Obviously I was NOT done at this point..but the rest is covered in other links.
- Front Bumper:
- Elite Offroad Custom Bumper! 3/16 and ¼'' plate steel. Half guard option, Fog light option, Custom TACOMA cutout option. Install pics HERE and HERE...pics of it all over after this point really..
- Had to repair the bumper later after bending it. Used ¼'' Boiler plate to reinforce it.
- Also relocated the blinker lights as bumper gets rid of stock location. Did a write up on the FREE Blinker Relocation MOD HERE
- Rear Bumper:
- Elite Offroad Custom Rear Bumper! 3/16'' and ¼'' plate steel. Custom made Swing out by Tim. This bumper under went several work overs by myself to add new features and a better latch.
- BAMF Diff Skid: Won this at Moab. It was warped and Jerry told me that it was just the mounting posts. No problem Took just a bit of tweaking and I was good!
- Modified RAT front Skid:
- Roof Rack/Bed rack:
- I know this isn't really “Armor” But its metal fabbed..and it acted like a roll bar once..good enough..
- Here is the best thread of both versions of this bed rack including the original sketch HERE
- CVT Mt. Shasta Tent! HERE Install and first use HERE
- Bed rails for attachment points HERE and Installed HERE
- Rebuilt and done HERE and HERE
- Roof Rack HERE
- Awning off the rear of the truck. HERE and HERE
- Light Force 240 Blitz's HERE
- PIAA 510 Ion Fogs
- 85w Bulb upgrade HERE
- 4x 55w HID converted Hella 500ffs on folding roof rack HERE
- Folding vids HERE
- 1' Ridgid LED sticks for Bed lights
- Custom Home Made Side Mirror Lights HERE more pics HERE
- Blitzpro 21s Hawk HERE and HERE
- Blitzpro 3lr custom Camp lights
- Blitzpro 6lz rear lights HERE
- Switch panel HERE and HERE And HERE
- Secondary battery and CS144 GM 140 amp alternator upgrade
- Secondary battery install:
- Roof Top Tent Lights HERE and HERE
- The great wiring project...: Okay..just too many posts and wiring stuff..but here are some to show how I did a lot of stuff.
- 1-Rear lights exterior switch and How To Solder
- 2-Ballasts mounted. Bed Lights mounted
- 3-Started Camp lights with tripod legs.
- 4-Switch panel
- 5-How I Wire up Relays
- 6-Starting fuse/Relay box
- 7-Frankenstein's Wiring diagram for all the lights and master switch
- 8-More Fuse box wiring. Including post right below it.
- 10-Switch panel with diodes
- 11-Switch panel done wired and fuse box mounted
- 12-test the wiring..
- 13-Fuse box done and 6th relay.
- 14-Cute Dog photo..awww..and lots of wiring and exterior switch added.
- 15-Test with 21s lights, hellas, side mirror lights
- 16-Camp lights getting setup
- 17-Rear lights setup
- 18-Bed lights done
- 19-Camp lights travel mounts
- 20-Camp lights test
- 21-Switch panel installed
- The Mother of Holy lights. Seriously. Great night shots of all the wiring you just read through found....HERE
- Uinden 520xl Pro CB with Wilson 18' cable, folding mount and 5' Firestik
- Hope to have HAM soon...
- XRC8 Smitybuilt winch install HERE and HERE
- Ammo Can Med kit HERE
- 20lb CO2 tank setup from The Source HERE
- Started the OSK(Oh Shit Kit) HERE and HERE
- 48'' HiLift
- Ratchet straps
- 2 quarts oil
- gear oil
- 3 tool kits
- ¾'' Shackles
- 20,000lb tow strap
- Jumper cables
- Much more....
Other random Mods:
- extended brake cable
- Diff breather Mod
- Boot slide Mod
- Removed bug sheild and got in a small fender bender..i won..Pics HERE and HERE
- BEEFED Carrier Bearing Drop Bracket. 1.5''
- 100hp boost in Stickers HERE
- License plate mount HERE
- Bike Rack concept... Yet to be completed..here
- Shower from old Beer Keg and my 12v Air compressor HERE
- Redone MASSIVE stereo..soon to be downsized..HERE
Trip Reports, Lots of pictures here!:
- Wyoming Lander meet 10/11
- Pics HERE
- Moab May, 2012. Crap load of photos all through out this thread HERE
- Seven Mile
- Top of The World HERE
- Elephant Hill
- Fins and Things
- Lander Wyoming meet 08/12
- Magruder and Lolo expedition 08/12
- Independence pass in Montana 08/12
- Pictures start here. Gotta read more to see em all LINK
- The Epic Wy/Mt/Co Trip 08/13
- Pictures HERE TONS of them. Not slow internet friendly.
Random Pictures and mini trips:
- Suspension setup 2, Wheel setup 2.
- Suspension Setup #3, Wheel Setup 2.
- lander shots HERE
- Random photos HERE
- Fun trip to the Big Horn Mountains HERE
- Scoping out Morrison Jeep trail up Clarks Fork canyon and Yellowstone HERE
- More just posing in local land HERE
- The offical death of the original body HERE
- Overnighter in the Big Horns HERE
- Crazy snow rescue mission HERE
- Leg 1 of The Epic shots of Frankenstein HERE
- Leg 2 of The Epic Shots of Frankenstein HERE
- Leg 3 of The Epic Shots of Frankenstein HERE
Special Thanks To:
- Bobby at Casscaida Vehicle Tents
- Walt at Blitzpro
- All my Friends who have supported me
- My Amazing Dad for teaching and helping me do things I never thought I'd be doing
- My Wonderful Mother for supporting me in everyway
To get/do list:
-Front Long travel suspension
-Rear LT setup
-ARB front/rear lockers
-Safari Snorkel with prefilter
-fridge and freezer
IMG_0324.jpg by Phull Mon-T Photos, on Flickr
Old body, it shall be missed..
This is what she looked like when i bought her.
Rims and tires where crap so they got replaced first
cleaned up all the rims. Painted em myself look amazing when clean. Also got some mighty KM2 tires. 31X10.5
Really changed how my truck looked!
And im an audiophile so i added a massive car stereo setup. 6 total speakers and 2 apline type x subs. LOVE listening to music in this thing, eveerything from choral, jazz, rock, hiphop you name it it sounds epic lol
Just put on two of my four Hella 500ffs converted to HID. They are 55w, two are 4300k and two are 6000k. My silly bull bar had two places for light on it already but i think i might drill all new holes to fit all 4 lights i think...idk about that yet.
here is my switch location. I tell ya, that was a PITA to make that hole for the switch in that plastic plug. But turned out great.
And the lights
high beams (stock)
And much more.