1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tool box w/ compresor and 2nd battery

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Mike330R, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jul 10, 2011 at 9:44 PM
    Mike330R

Mike330R [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    I added a tool box in the bed to mount my old compressor from a previous Chevy build and add a 2nd battery. I tried to use as least space as possible.
    I plan to power all extra's from this 2nd battery (sound system, race radio, CB, lights, etc etc) and of course the compressor. I will run an 8G wire into the cab to a fuse panel to connect everything to. The compressor will go to the circuit breaker next to the 2nd battery.

I ran 1G wire from the main battery through a circuit breaker to a soliniod under the hood. The other end of the 1G cable goes to another circuit breaker then to the 2nd battery.

Just need a few more wires to finish everything as well as shorten the compressor cables and connect them. Also need to mount the under hood breaker and solenoid. The solenoid was going to be connected to a switch o I could turn it off or on to charge the 2nd battery but decided to wire it to ignition so it's always on. Only reason I used a solenoid and not a battery isolator was because I already had the PainLess Wiring 2nd battery kit with the solenoid and cables.

Few pic's:

The box. Ordered from Amazon and it was not the one pictured but it will do the job.
    [​IMG]

Test fit:
    [​IMG]

Breaker installed 1G power & ground cable run plus an 8G cable:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I drilled a hole next to the battery in the box to run the cabling out and another hole just below the tie down hook in the bed and ran the cable though there, with a grommet ;) Here's how it looks under the bed:
    [​IMG]

As it sits now:
    [​IMG]

Will clean everything up and finish wiring once I get a few short jumper cables.

I also bought a switch that will open and close with the lid. I plan on adding some LED lights to the inside of the lid for box lighting ;) Just need to figure out how to mount them so they're aimed in the box.

2. Jul 15, 2011 at 10:56 PM
    Mike330R

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    Not sure if anyone even saw this post but I almost finished this project.

Got the 2nd battery wired in. Here’s the solenoid and breaker near the main battery:
    [​IMG]

I rewired the radio power. Day to day use it will shut off via the ignition. When I want the radio on while the truck is off I wired in a relay and a switch mounted in the glove box. Here is the backside of the switch and the relay in the background:
    [​IMG]

The switch from inside the glove box:
    [​IMG]

Installed this fuse panel to connect all the accessories to the 2nd battery. This is mounted under the passenger seat. Its just Velcroed to the carpet so I can ‘swing’ it out when the seat is installed for easier access:
    [​IMG]

Also moved the CB from the floor to the ashtray and added a Panavise phone mount.
    [​IMG]

Got the Rigid LED light bar mounted to a clamp-on roof rack. Still need to run the cable to it:
    [​IMG]

I ran the CB antenna cable and LED power cable under the carpet to the rear cubby holes. When I use either cable I will run it out the rear slider window. Not worth running them permanently outside since I won’t use either very much. Plus the antenna fit’s in the cubby hole (beneath the rear seats) since it’s mostly all open under there.

Next is the tool box LED lighting then off to the desert to try everything :)

3. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:06 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i wanna see pics of that light bar when its on!

4. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:15 PM
    Mike330R

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    Rigid light bars are the brightest on the market. A friend and I have compared them all side by side. They have newer stuff coming out soon that is suppose to kill their current LED bars.

Here is a crappy cell phone video showing 2 sets of HID and the LED bar:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8gP_OZfBHM

5. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:19 PM
    rcfreak201

rcfreak201 Well-Known Member

Member:
    HOLY SHIT! that light bar made the other lights look like crap! damn! thats crazy, i want :D

6. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:23 PM
    Mike330R

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    The video is deceiving. It was recored with an iPhone and the HID's go MUCH farther than the LED bar. This is necessary for high speeds but in our trucks playing around they are perfect.

7. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:27 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Lakeside, Ca / Gardnerville, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Very Niiiicccee Mike !!....;)

8. Jul 15, 2011 at 11:29 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    Grey wire MOD, deck plate, diff breather MOD, 2nd gen. OME 883# on Tundra 5100's, OMD custom 3" leafsprings, rear shock relocation, Ivan Stewart TRD rims w/285/75/16's, '02 bumper MOD, Famous Fabrications sliders , LED interior/exterior lights, bed bar, Custom tube bumper, Old school KC day lighters,Red Ring 8" HID flood, Kenwood vhf 2M.. umm some other shit I'm forgetting right now
    Besides you need bright ass lights to mob the washes at night..

Your vid in Ocotillo ?

9. Jul 16, 2011 at 1:57 PM
    Mike330R

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    4WD-my video is at Glamis last summer. I am headed there tonight to play around in the Tacoma :)

Finished up the wiring and added LED tubes lights to the tool box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Jul 16, 2011 at 2:55 PM
    4WD

4WD cRaZy oLdmAn

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Vehicle:
    2004 DC TRD 4x
    4WD-my video is at Glamis last summer. I am headed there tonight to play around in the Tacoma [​IMG]

Yeah, that does sound like fun, but ya never know if I get some extra $$$ in a little bit I may show up out there somewhere.. ( I'm supposed to be at a wedding today, but aint gonna happen :D ) You got a CB ?? If so , I'm usually on 21

11. Jul 16, 2011 at 3:09 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    those light bars are like a 1000bucks though...crazy money for lights

12. Jul 16, 2011 at 3:38 PM
    Mike330R

Member:
    Far West Phoenix
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Offroad w/ stuff
    4WD I'm leaving around 5. I'll PM ya my number. Doubt the CB will be on. Most guys out there run race radio's.

hard2kill: Yes they are pricey but are a great light. This guy does some of the design work and sells them pretty cheap direct from him. CLICK HERE

HERE is a very extensive LED and HID comparision.

Products Discussed in

To Top