Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD

Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 AM   #341
DOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant future

Name: Jobin
DOT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoTacoTRD View Post
Jace I have been reading more on CB's and tuning them with an SWR meter. I am gonna try to pick one up and tune my new antenna set up I do this weekend. If you high readings from an untuned antenna it can result in heat build up and burn up your radio. I also learned how you tune an antenna like yours with no adjustable tip. We should tune yours as well.

Ill have to swing by to I have yet to really tune mine
Old 05-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #342
DOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant futureDOT has a brilliant future

Name: Jobin
DOT's Tacoma Gallery
Jace if you are still looking for a spare tire http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193249
Old 05-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #343
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jace I have been reading more on CB's and tuning them with an SWR meter. I am gonna try to pick one up and tune my new antenna set up I do this weekend. If you high readings from an untuned antenna it can result in heat build up and burn up your radio. I also learned how you tune an antenna like yours with no adjustable tip. We should tune yours as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOT View Post
Ill have to swing by to I have yet to really tune mine
Uno Mas?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #344
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #345
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jace
lotsoftoys's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Jace if you are still looking for a spare tire http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193249
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockgecko03 View Post
Uno Mas?
i talked to a guyguy at work who is a ham radio geek... he said tuning just gets u in the mid range of the wave. it gets the best of both worlds, long and short. an un tuned antenna will either be naturally a little towards the high range or slightly low range... either way it wont lead to a large difference in tuning a small antenna like all of ours. now a 122" whip, whole nother story.

i tested mine
yesterday at work. i got just over a mile away from him and started to get scratchy. that was down by the mills, in town, lots of obstructions. moab or the trail should be a cakewalk at 2-3 miles line of site. plenty for me:-)

out of curiosity how do u tune an antenna like mine?
Old 05-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #346
pavement is boring....
lotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shedlotsoftoys is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Quote:
Uno Mas?

cant run a 285 man... id need to buy an offset wheel....

lookin into a 255 85 on a 16 steelie

i talked to a guyguy at work who is a ham radio geek... he said tuning just gets u in the mid range of the wave. it gets the best of both worlds, long and short. an un tuned antenna will either be naturally a little towards the high range or slightly low range... either way it wont lead to a large difference in tuning a small antenna like all of ours. now a 122" whip, whole nother story.

i tested mine
yesterday at work. i got just over a mile away from him and started to get scratchy. that was down by the mills, in town, lots of obstructions. moab or the trail should be a cakewalk at 2-3 miles line of site. plenty for me:-)

Old 05-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #347
Whiskey bent and hell bound.
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: I'm TWITTER FAMOUS.
Name: Devin
Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
*cough* I know how you can get a new wheel... *cough..cough*.

I too am wondering how you tune an antenna like Jace has with no top screw.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #348
pavement is boring....

i dont wanna buy ur man you need urs! im got a line one a steelie.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #349
Hoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shedHoyal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotsoftoys View Post
i dont wanna buy ur man you need urs! im got a line one a steelie.
Not buy mine. I'm saying I know someone who has money's to pay you.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:25 PM   #350
pavement is boring....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Not buy mine. I'm saying I know someone who has money's to pay you.
yes i no i no.... i dont need moneyz right now i need a day off to finish the damn truck!
Old 05-07-2013, 07:27 PM   #351

Hoyal's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yes i no i no.... i dont need moneyz right now i need a day off to finish the damn truck!
Everyone needs moneyZ! Unless you're Noah. Haha.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:41 PM   #352
He who walk with a Cane
CoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedCoTacoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gramps
CoTacoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

i tested mine

Curious what your "guyguy" friend said about the heat build up and burning up the radio.

Your antenna tip is exposed because if your readings are high on channel 40 then your antenna is too long. You just clip a little bit off the tip with some cutters. If your readings are too high on channel 1 you are screwed cause you need a longer antenna.

I guess that is one advantage of the firestick.

And yes we can do a tune day of antenna's but actually we need to meet somewhere away from buildings and in an area with a lot of open space to get a better tune. I guess we will have to figure that out.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:44 PM   #353
McBuckets
RockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedRockyMtnTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Noah
RockyMtnTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoyal View Post
Everyone needs moneyZ! Unless you're Noah. Haha.
FU
I could use some moneyZ though. I have plenty of things I could spend it on in a heartbeat if I had it. Need to get to work this summer so I can get some more badass shit for my truck.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #354
pavement is boring....

Quote:
Curious what your "guyguy" friend said about the heat build up and burning up the radio.

Your antenna tip is exposed because if your readings are high on channel 40 then your antenna is too long. You just clip a little bit off the tip with some cutters. If your readings are too high on channel 1 you are screwed cause you need a longer antenna.

I guess that is one advantage of the firestick.

And yes we can do a tune day of antenna's but actually we need to meet somewhere away from buildings and in an area with a lot of open space to get a better tune. I guess we will have to figure that out.
he said antenna get hot because of the wattage the radios are pushing out... then when someone next to u has a hopped up radio, they can blow up ur radio....
Old 05-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #355
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Sounds like we need to go wheelin... or meet up somewhere near DIA with miles of open space.

Quote:
he said antenna get hot because of the wattage the radios are pushing out... then when someone next to u has a hopped up radio, they can blow up ur radio....
So... it's like playing battleship with cb radios?
Old 05-08-2013, 04:13 PM   #356
pavement is boring....

Quote:
Sounds like we need to go wheelin... or meet up somewhere near DIA with miles of open space.

So... it's like playing battleship with cb radios?
ive heard of guys talking to semis with hopped up cb radios blowing their little radios up!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #357
pavement is boring....

before..... axle sat forward in the wheel well due to the shackles. when stuffed, tire would rub the fender badly.
Attached Thumbnails
LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD-photo0190.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 04:57 PM   #358
pavement is boring....

The fix:

Marlin axle relocation plates
http://www.4wd.com/aux_incl/images.a...rtNo=MRE&w=380

I chose to only move the axle rearward 3/4 inch. the further hole in the plate is 1 inch. wow what a pain in the ass this was..... you change one thing, you gotta change 14 others to make it work!!!!!

first thing i needed, longer u bolts. got some nice ones from slee offroad that were perfect length.

so i painted the plates and removed my old u bolts, inserted the plates, pulled the axle back to fall into the hole. then i realized the bump stops/ top plates still center over the leaf spring centering pin! so did a little research. People have been notching out their top plates the same amount as they move the axle. makes sense, so after cutting and working with a carbide bit i came up with this:-)
Attached Thumbnails
LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD-photo0193.jpg   LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD-photo0194.jpg  
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #359
Your NativeTaco is in the building
NativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedNativeTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
NativeTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good, can't believe I wasn't already subbed here. Come to think of it I haven't seen any posts from you on my build either!

I do love this build though!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #360
pavement is boring....

So then i was finally able to tighten my u bolts having them straight.... so after that, i found my ebrake cable was being stretchy badly. i was able to make my own extention to the pivot point. drilled, and tapped for the larger bolt. this raised my pivot point about an inch or two. ebrake cable is alot less stretched. then i had to completely adjust the shoes and cable.

i then was curious about my slip yoke.... removed my flange and extended the yoke, found i have plenty of yoke left at full droop. So glad there are no worries with the yoke. i did put drive line spacers on the carrier bearing to help relieve drive shaft angle slightly...

attached is my spacer for the brake cable and the final product. tires fit in the wheel well a whole lot better! flexed it out and no rubbing
Attached Thumbnails
LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD-photo0195.jpg   LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD-photo0196.jpg   LOTSOFTOYS PANDA BUILD-photo0197.jpg