Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

from clunk to squish - my 99 build is underway...

Old 08-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
sledder is on a distinguished road
Name: Will
sledder's Tacoma Gallery
from clunk to squish - my 99 build is underway...

And so the knuckle bustin begins...

The old suspension was quite tired. Time to find it a new home. Here's what's going in:
  • IVD front coil overs
  • Light racing UCAs
  • Alcan 8 leaf spring packs
  • Timbren bump stops
  • OME Nitrochargers
  • ProComp stainless brake lines
  • EBC slotted and drilled rotors, EBC pads
  • .5 pints of blood
  • 1 bottle of tequila, level of which will be inversely proportional to my frustration level
Anyone in the CO/S. denver area with advice, stories of past experiences or just plain mockery, fire away! And if you want to stop by and lend a hand, I will keep you well hydrated with malty beverages.

I'll post pics of the job when it's all done.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #3
sledder's Tacoma Gallery
she's rolling again! after a long week of late nights and cancelled weekend plans, it's mostly done. Took it out for a quick spin around the block after getting it all put back together late last night, what a difference!!

I will get a write up and pics posted later but I wanted to give the popcorn eating gallery an update. Need to book an alignment today and see if the shop has a spanner wrench to up the coils in the front about another .5 inches to level it off just a bit more. Hopefully won't lose too much ride quality, but should be ok from what I've read about the IVDs.

Thanks again Johnny at Wheelers, great help and customer service. Oh - and tell the Timbren folks to check their packaging to make sure the washers are included!

@Konaborne - nice ride, I like the color!
Old 08-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #4
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Old 08-31-2011, 03:31 PM   #5
sledder's Tacoma Gallery
You mean those fancy internets visual aids? Got 'em right here for yas:

Starting in on the rear springs/shocks:

The spare tire was the first hurdle. Previous owner had spare tire lock but the lock key was not with the jack handle. Out of some kind of divine luck, a buddy had the right one. Only set me back 1 day...

Springs were a bit rusty and lodged. No amount of PBR was going to free them up. Bring out the sawzall/hacksaw/sledge/prybar:

Rear springs/shocks are in! The Timbren bump stops didn't have the washers included and one of the studs was a bit short. Not a huge deal to rectify.

Had to cut off the ball joint stud to get my shorter 2-jaw puller over a socket to press out the joint from the steering knuckle. Props to the missus for holding the ball joint stud still with some channel locks while I sawzalled away!

Light at the end of the tunnel - new drilled/slotted EBC rotors (GreenStuff pads not shown)

Thanks to Paul and Victor at Axis Automotive in Littleton for the custom mounting brackets for the new brake lines as well as the alignment

Old 08-31-2011, 03:35 PM   #6
Reading...
Us3r is on a distinguished road
Army: Discharged Med 08 19D Infantry
Name: Mike
Us3r's Tacoma Gallery
looking good brotha