Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

My "Build" aka Resurrection...

Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 PM   #1
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
StaticFilter's Tacoma Gallery
My "Build" aka Resurrection...

Mostly already built but I might as well start a thread anyway because I do have things to add/change/fix.

Bought a 1998 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad Xtra Cab with 151,933 miles on 08/17/2011

Equipped:
3.4L V6
5 Spd Manual Transmission
Pre Runner Bumper (rhino lined and diamond plating inserts)

6" Trail Master Suspension lift
3" Body Lift

Tire fenders

Nice Fusion sound system

Newer BFG Mud tires 33 x 12.5 x 15 ( 5/8" deep tread... under 3500 miles on them )

Rhino lined bed

Toyota rear E-locker ( Toyota 4.10 gear ratio)
K&N Cold air intake
Throttle body spacer
Red top Optima battery

Magnaflow muffler

Also came with a HIDEOUS color scheme on the interior...

Problems to Fix:
-Replace both rear shocks (BAD)
-Replace Idler Bushing on the driveline (BAD)
-Fix "Airbag light stays on when passenger side enabled" issue

Things to do:
-Replace or repaint horrid interior dash color scheme
-Hella Supertones Horn
-Keyless Entry
-Exhaust Tip

Any *HELPFUL/CONSTRUCTIVE* suggestions or Ideas would be great, thanks guys and gals!

First "Mod"

Suspension pics...
lift struts had rubber boots on them which had electrical tape on them...

Cut the boots off, wire brushed the rust/corrosion underneath, then gave them a coat of Rustoleum enamel, should have used FLAT instead of Gloss black, oh well...

They turned out looking okay, gave everything a bath in white lithium spray grease
View from the rear

Full size truck leaf springs?

As it sits in my driveway

Took it offroad through a creek bed that's been flooded with snow run-off

Some flexin, rear passenger tire isn't touching, felt like i was going to tip over

water was up to the hubs, got deeper

Suspension was just fine, I think once I fix the driveline bushing, balance tires, and get new rear shocks, i'll be golden.
4 High and Lo worked great, I have my doubts as to whether the locker is working do to the light never staying on, it just blinks slowly. Never saw an ABS light?

*09/04/2011 Update*
Bought a hitch receiver for $40 from a guy parting out his 2001 and installed it yesterday

The install went fairly smooth and took around an hour from start to finish

Next steps are taking the ball out of the bumper, wiring up a towing harness for trailer lights, and replacing the center support bearing. I'll buy the one from the guy with the 2001 for $10 for now, it's gotta be better than mine

*November 1st Update*
Added Roll bar with lights $175 and most of saturday to clean it up, redo lights, wiring etc...

Safari Snorkel $Free took about 2-3 hours of work

*January 6th 2012 Update*
Just passed 155,555 Miles
Went wheeling and blew my secondary strut on my Trailmaster lift.

Installed my new ebay headlights and sidemarkers I got for Christmas

Did some research on fixing the POS Trailmaster lift, looked into the Gabriel Inversion Mod since Trailmaster no longer makes the struts
after checking out my lift closer, the Mod has already been done so It's as easy as replacing the struts
Bought my new struts, I'll go the cheap route for now and see how long they last, next set may be Billies!
[/url]

Also removed my Subs/amp for winter (talk about HEAVY and AWKWARD! Next time I'm taking the SEAT out first), and had a full service oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic 5w30
AND! Verified that my locker is in fact alive and well!
Also replaced my OEM Spare tire carrier that had a broken cable

*January 7th 2012 Update*
Replaced the struts on my Trailmaster Lift and did the "grey wire mod" for my locker now that i know it works. Also fixed a grounding issue i had with my KC Lights on the bumper

*May 18th, 2012 Update*
SOLD! Sold the truck to a guy for $8650, kept the sound system. Got $13.67 more than my loan payoff so I'm happy. Guy that bought it is from Farmington, I referred him here to the site so hopefully we will see him around here. It's been a fun truck to drive, wheel, and work on. I feel like I've given it a second chance at a good life and hope the new owner enjoys it more than i was able to.
Reason for selling? I need a 4 door, I was looking for a 4 door when I bought this truck so the search shall continue. Thanks to all of those that helped me!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
1st gen > 2nd gen
Rucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shedRucas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Lucas
Rucas's Tacoma Gallery
new hood...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cody
Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
Good to hear the truck wasn't as messed as it seemed!

As far as the blinking locker, did you make sure it was in 4lo? Otherwise it just blinks....

and some members here have said after not being used for awhile it takes a few tries to get the locker to engage.

(I'd take that body lift off ASAP too. If Bowhunter was having problems with it way back then...)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 PM   #4
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
loose the bumper, mud flaps, hood scoops, body lift, ghey rims, and taillights
Old 08-22-2011, 09:27 PM   #5
StaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shedStaticFilter is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucas View Post
new hood...
You show me how to make a 2005-2011 Sport hood fit and I'll get right on it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
Good to hear the truck wasn't as messed as it seemed!
As far as the blinking locker, did you make sure it was in 4lo? Otherwise it just blinks....
and some members here have said after not being used for awhile it takes a few tries to get the locker to engage.
(I'd take that body lift off ASAP too. If Bowhunter was having problems with it way back then...)
Yeah we shall see how bad it really is I suppose. Hopefully the locker is an easy fix/user error and the airbag issue isn't too pricey!
What problems was he having with the body lift?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
Banned
TacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMatt02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by higherlux View Post
loose the bumper, mud flaps, hood scoops, body lift, ghey rims, and taillights
x2
Old 08-22-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
rcfreak201's Tacoma Gallery
wasnt this that other 16 yr old kids truck?
agreed on the hood, tailights, bumper and lift. i say take it all back to stock and put some nice coilovers on it and an all pro bumper or something like that, and get some 33s with nice rims or just sas it
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
haha might as well have kept my 05 for how much you guys want me to spend to REDO the whole thing
Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 PM   #9
rcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrcfreak201 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticFilter View Post
haha might as well have kept my 05 for how much you guys want me to spend to REDO the whole thing
u sold the 05 for this?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:42 PM   #10
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Not everything, just that damn body lift....

Pics of suspension?
Old 08-22-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfreak201 View Post
u sold the 05 for this?
No, I sold the 05 for these:

Old 08-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #12
congrats brotha, im sure your on a budget haha but for now i would definitely take out that body lift and slowly start improving everything
Old 08-23-2011, 07:34 AM   #13
JasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasoTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JasoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Congrats on getting another Tacoma. The truck looks great other than the items you already mentioned, it makes one wonder why some people think some things look good like painting the air vents.

Can't wait to see it on the trails.

Didn't you buy a Dodge Dakota after you sold your 05?
Old 08-23-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
Banned
TacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMatt02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMatt02's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
most of the stuff people are telling you to do are cheap to free, take off your body lift, switch hoods with someone (sure someone would do it), sell your tails get stock ones (or nightshade your current ones), re paint your interior, and trade some one for your bumper. Your truck would look bad ass
edit: actually just take off the skewpz from your hood, looks like there held on there with some 3m
Old 08-23-2011, 02:50 PM   #15
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasoTaco View Post
Didn't you buy a Dodge Dakota after you sold your 05?
Yeah what a nightmare that turned into, Had to rebuild the bottom end. sold it for $1000 more than I bought it though so I came out even. Bought a 1993 Subaru Legacy after that, 230,000 miles, but it has a 2.2L Turbo and is AWD so it was a good deal for $1100
Old 08-23-2011, 02:58 PM   #16
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Remove the body lift would be a great start. You can still easily clear those 33's even with the body lift off.

If you don't want to drop the money on new tail lights just yet, you can always lightly tint those to "mild" down on the rice.

I would consider these headlights. I'm running them on my truck and love them!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BLACK...item4cf31d9baf

Fix that dash!

And finally but most important, kick BowHunter in the balls, one time for each member on TacomaWorld.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:03 PM   #17
Added more pics... I want to fit 35's when the 33's are dead, can i do that without the body lift?
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM   #18
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
I say take off the hood scoops (if they're attached), new rims, and take out the diamondplate inserts on the bumper...I think the bumper would look pretty good without them.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Added more pics... I want to fit 35's when the 33's are dead, can i do that without the body lift?
I'm pretty sure you can, a friend of mine does.

I dig those KM1's though
Old 08-25-2011, 09:08 PM   #20
update