1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

95 tacoma build. truck norris

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by xfrankx, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Sep 9, 2011 at 5:26 PM
    xfrankx

xfrankx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    i just picked up my first tacoma and after years of building cars i can say i love this thing. now i can go camping, and finally take my own truck on the trails instead of riding along.

i sold my car and decided to hunt for a tacoma. after about 3 months this one popped up for sale locally. a quick carfax showed 2 owners and the original owner had it for 14 years. 190k on it v6 xtra cab 4x4. i ended up getting it for 4000 bucks. the guy wanted a newer tacoma and just wanted a down payment so now it has its new owner. this is the cleanest frame ive ever seen on one. a couple friends own an all toyota offroad fab shop and when i dropped by they couldnt believe it either. it was an eastern truck all its life and somehow managed to not rust anywhere.

so my plans are a 3in lift, 31's some wheels for now. hopefully we will be making a bumper for him soon and some sliders. first things first though.

today i took the gay stripe off the side. thats the only thing i never liked about these year trucks was that decal. they just make the truck look old. so i bought an eraser pad and went to work. anyone else that wants to take any kinda sticker like this off go that route. any auto body store will have them and it took me about 45mins to do the whole thing. so much better than a heat gun and a razorblade.

heres some pics. ill have finished pics of the removal tomorrow since it got dark on me.

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us day i brought it home

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us i was shocked at how clean the bay was in this thing. came with a toyota battery as well

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us see ya ugly stickers

[​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us this made life a lot easier

2. Sep 14, 2011 at 6:08 AM
    xfrankx

Member:
    ordered new wheels. [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us went with these in 15x8 4in bs and i picked up a set of 31's off my friend. should have them on by next week.

3. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:46 AM
    xfrankx

Member:
    finally after 3 weeks i got my rims in. black rock 909's. 15x8 4in bs. no wheel spacers and no rubbing. they were worth the wait. threw on a set of 31in bfg at ko's my friend had. its night and day with how it looks now. next up is a lift and custom bumpers from my friends over at iron clad offroad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

im gonna rewrap the door panel inserts as well. the stock fabric looks like an 80's rug or something. just gotta go pick something out. might do the headliner to match it. also on the list is a 01 front end, and im looking for stock flares as well. i really didnt wanna get the bushwackers if i could help it but i cant seem to find anyone selling stockers anywhere. stay tuned

4. Oct 5, 2011 at 11:26 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

ilove_taco_ma Well-Known Member

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    nothing, all stock expect got a OE replacement air filter K&N.
    looks great man. still a clean mint truck. you got me thinking about removing my decal too. i too have that nasty decal.

5. Oct 6, 2011 at 7:24 AM
    xfrankx

Member:

do it! its what makes them look dated i think. with that eraser wheel its literally a 30min job. :D

i painted my rear window trim yesterday. i couldnt take that chrome showing through the faded paint so i finally got around to doing it. came out great. i used a few coats of duplicolor trim paint.

before:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

after:

[​IMG]

6. Oct 6, 2011 at 10:44 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    nice. Looks lots better.

7. Oct 6, 2011 at 11:08 PM
    ilove_taco_ma

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    haha yes i will remove the decal sometime soon, i hope. darn, sadly the rear window trim on my truck have the chrome showing. seems like what i see on your truck is as bad as mine. haha, but maybe mine is in worst conditions.

8. Oct 6, 2011 at 11:11 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Nice truck man

9. Oct 7, 2011 at 1:46 PM
    xfrankx

Member:
    thanks guys. i was bored and it was nice out today so i figured id do another little project on it. door panel recovering. ive done a lot of them in the past and the tacoma was by far the easiest one ive ever done. thank god for flat panels and everything comes off in literally under 2 mins.

if anyone is interested in doing it to their first gen i could do a how to if you wanted. its really really simple.

[​IMG]

i hated that ugly ass fabric on there. it made it look like its from the 80s or something

[​IMG]

make sure you have one of these and save yourself a bunch of time

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

snake skin :)

[​IMG]

next up is the headliner. i might to it to match or do it in a brown suede.

10. Oct 7, 2011 at 2:59 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
  11. Oct 10, 2011 at 12:34 PM
    xfrankx

Member:
  12. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:40 AM
    ilove_taco_ma

Member:
    fresno, california
    Vehicle:
    95 tacoma 4wd LX
    the tint made the 3rd piece brake light and the signals looks great. i think its time to swap out those seal beam headlights to the h4 sockets headlights.

13. Oct 19, 2011 at 11:35 AM
    Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    your turn signals and 3rd brake light is way lighter than my tail lights and i only done one coat, i followed the 2nd gen thread how to tint your tail lights though, did you just spray it on?

14. Oct 20, 2011 at 12:23 PM
    xfrankx

Member:
    i agree. i planned on doing that pretty soon. thanks for the positive comments :)

it depends on the product you use. ive used vht and rusto brand. i didnt want them super dark i just wanted to darken them up some. i did one very light dusting coat. let it dry then went over it again with a few more very light coats until it was that shade. if you spray it on thicker it gets dark QUICK. i didnt want to risk having them be black so i did light basically dusting coats on them. when i did the 3rd brake light i actually just hit it with one heavier coat for a few passes and it came out like that. with two regular coats i could see them coming out super dark.

15. Oct 20, 2011 at 9:57 PM
    Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    gray wire mod, blacked out, debadged, toolbox foglights, cb in dash, system, bilstein 5100's in front wrapped in eibach coils, 5125's in the rear with 2 inch aal and 1 inch shackle, diff drop kit, extended rear brake line, 8000 lb smittybuilt winch on a custom winch bumper, 2 4 inch 100 watt kc's and 2 6 inch 100 watt kc's on the bumper, sometimes a ladder rack,much more to come
    Ah ok i put one heavy coat on as well as 9 coats of clear coats, i still think they look pretty good though and im adding an led light bar so i shouldnt run in to any problems with the law

16. Oct 21, 2011 at 11:10 AM
    xfrankx

Member:

yea i dont know how the cops are down there but where i live they look for any reason to give you a ticket so i didnt want to risk it. i like the look of them how they came out too so it all worked out.

i need to find a set of oem flares. ive been looking everywhere i guess im gonna have to try more salvage yards since the internet isnt being too friendly haha

17. Oct 21, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Rhino

Rhino Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Laurel, Mississippi
    Vehicle:
    03 TRD SR5 4x4
    so far the cops havent said anything and my cousins a sherriff so i think im good, and as far as the flares check out this place http://car-part.com/ they have alot of good stuff however no one carries the closing mechanism for the first gen extended cab windows apparently

18. Jan 4, 2012 at 3:23 PM
    taco52

taco52 01 5 speed

Member:
    First Name:
    Trevor
    Bailey, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    01 SR5 v6 5speed 4x4
    Grey wire mod, De flapped,
    Good looking truck ya got there! Keep up the mods.

19. Jul 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM
    Tiotaboy

Tiotaboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robbie
    Chester virginia
    Vehicle:
    96 4x4
    Cb radio,toolbox,wheels,aero turbine exhaust,bilsteins all 4 corners,3 inch body lift, 33.12.5 mtzs
    Nice truck man any updates?

Products Discussed in

To Top