full skids
frame plating
TG low profile front bumper
e-locker skid
u-bolt flip
triangulate rear shocks
dual cases or lefty 4.7

Current pic:

Well i reckon its bout time i start one of these things. I love build threads had one for my wj and its a great place to get feedback,input, and keep a track record.To introduce myself, name is brandon, been into wheeling since i picked up my first offroad magazine when i was 12yrs old. Had some 4x4s through the years. Got into the "looks" wheeling when i thought the biggest lift and tires was the coolest rig. Spent a ton of money having someone else build my first tacoma while i spent a LONG time in iraq. Came back and was so excited to drive it didnt get some proper rest and jet lag got the best of me and i flipped it the same day i got back never even really got to enjoy it. Bought it back from the insurance fixed it and wheeled it occasionally. Got into diesels and really pushed the tacoma to the side and let it sit for years. Started a family and decided i wanted to get back into a DD style expedition style rig. Sold my dually and bought a 04 WJ built it up past its "friendly DD limits" and traded it for a 01 dcab trd prerunner 3.4 193k, auto(i always wanted a 4 door since i wrecked my old one but man are they pricey). Found a ok deal on this one but it was a prerunner but i had plans for this thing. Truck came with some mods already: poweraid tb spacer, airaid CAI, some leaky trd headers, trd cat back, spacer/aal lift. Well this is where my build thread begins sorry for all the talking here is some pics i know thats what people want to see anyways.

My old 00 ext cab on 37s

My 06 dually on 37s

My 04 WJ i build (before{before pic is after i installed phase 1 lift} and after)

And the new ride when i first got it

Old 11-01-2011, 06:14 PM   #2
MMyota is on a distinguished road

Army: 1-15 INF 3ID
Name: Brandon
MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
First thing when anyone buys a used vehicle should be maintenance. So off to work i went: replaced spark plugs and wires with NGKs, new IAC, seafoamed, new fuel filter, flushed cooling system, new PCV, replaced all those crappy trd gaskets, new headlights, pulled entire insides and cleaned the whole inside.

Next thing was to make this 4x4: Like i said it may have been a prerunner but i had plans for it. I love the ability to choose which gear i want to be in so 5-speed was also in the works. Started researching and compiling data and parts(used my old tacoma as the donor) .Swapped in some manual hubs, 4.88 front diff, also regeared the rear to 4.88s to match the front, and 5 -speed here is some pics from the process. Also swapped in my saw 2.0s.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
TROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of lightTROKITA is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Arty
TROKITA's Tacoma Gallery
nice what are you planning on doing with your tacoma ? cant really rig it out for moab status, are you going desert status or is it just going to be your commute vehicle????
Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM   #4

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
Now this is where my mods start and the real build begins:
I didnt like how the rear of my truck sat low so i put on some downey shackles with some 2.2 RC shocks i had left over from my Jeep. Also put on a downey tonneu cover to keep my gear out of the weather when i go camping. Picked up a BTF rear axle guard and going to pick up a ARB bumper thursday for my birthday present to myself pics to come.
Here is a current pic of the truck(cranked my coilovers a couple threads since this pic.

Old 11-01-2011, 06:23 PM   #5

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
My plans are gonna be a fairly capable DD. Gonna try to squeeze some MT/R kevlar 35s on it. Also gonna either fab some skids or buy some. Thinking bout picking up a front locker as well. I ran a aussie in the front of my jeep and it was awesome.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #6
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
You won't fit 35's without major trimming, and/or tubbing the firewall. I wouldn't recommend an Aussie (or auto locker of any kind) for the front. Nothing against the Aussie, I have one in my Land Cruiser and love it, but the CV's in the Tacoma won't like the auto locker since you'll be fully locked anytime you're in 4wd. A selectable locker like an ARB would be a much better choice.

Good looking truck though. I love the white.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #7

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
so why selectable i know that ADD rigs should stay away from auto lockers but hadnt seen any negative posts about a auto locker and manual hubs. I plan on tubbing the firewalls. I plan on trying to keep my COG as low as possible.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #9

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Should be fine to run a spartan or aussie with the manual hubs. When in snow if you feel yourself side tracking just unlock a hub.
Yeah thats what i read. SHouldnt have to worry to much bout snow is south alabama though. By the time i put in the front locker winter will be over. Got a list of things to do first.
U bolts flip
35" Tires and tub firewall
winch
sliders
skids
something with the rear(bobtail, bed bob, bumper?)
Old 11-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #10
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah the auto locker will work better with manual hubs, but I hate the hassle of having to get out an unlock a hub every time I don't want the front end fully locked. That's just me. If that doesn't bother you, then have at it.

Search on TTORA for the user sixstringsteve. He has some information on tubbing the firewall to fit 35's. Overall a pretty nice job of it.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 PM   #11

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i read his and many other threads on tubbing i consider myself pretty handy with a welder and cutoff wheel i should be able to handle it. Also plan on either dovetailing or bobbing the bed. Just a small update just got back from picking this bad boy up, this is my bday present to myself.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 AM   #12

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
pictures of the bumper installed going wheeling next weekend for veterans day.
how are the cv angles?

Old 11-09-2011, 06:59 PM   #13
Fiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shedFiolo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr.Chow
Fiolo's Tacoma Gallery
That's a nice taco you got there, keep up the good work
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #14

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
thanks as soon as i sell my 9in ill be doing some more upgrades
Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 PM   #15
caffeine nicotine gasoline
livel0veryde is on a distinguished road

Name: josh Rockett
livel0veryde's Tacoma Gallery
your builds moving fast!!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:36 PM   #16
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Welcome from Bama also!
Old 11-11-2011, 06:21 PM   #17

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
bought some plate and welding wire today for my tubbing project also just ordered a dakota digital so i can fix my speedo. Right now it says 83 when im running 70. something i cant stand is the speedo to be higher than what your going. All your doing is racking up undriven mileage on your vehicle. Also tryin to decide on what im getting next heres my big 3 let me know what you would get if you were me:
XRC comp8 winch
sliders,u bolt flip, xtended brake line, and frame boxing
skids
Old 11-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #18
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
Fuck the yota,I wanna see more of the dually
Old 11-22-2011, 08:34 PM   #19

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery
well just a little update been in the garage all day install a aussie locker in my front diff, rebuilding manual hubs, and changing a cv boot. For any of you thinking bout changing cv boots do yourself a favor and just buy a whole cv what a PITA. Also got some 315/75-16 Mt/r kevlars on the way.
Old 11-27-2011, 02:39 PM   #20

MMyota's Tacoma Gallery