Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Oh Bloody Hell, Rebirth!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 06:54 PM   #1
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Oh Bloody Hell, Rebirth!!!

Here comes round 2. Black Beater was the most involved project I have undertaken so far in life. I have rebuilt Sportbikes from a bare frame, Mustang (13 years of building/rebuilding/modifying) and many other projects. I enjoyed the Black Beater build (rebirth) so much that I had to do another. Part of me wishes this one was going to be more involved, but it should be a lot easier than the jigsaw puzzle I faced last time.

I am naming this project "Bloody Hell" Bright Red and looks like its been to the other side of Hell and towed back.

My Black Beater failed the Frame test last week and I have been in DEEP debate over getting another truck or not. I had about 10 minutes to kill Friday at work. And I thought... Hummm, I wonder whats on Craigstlist... Opened it up and typed "Tacoma" DAMN, there sat a listing for Tacoma #5

2001 Extended cab TRD... Christ... I tried to stop myself, but I couldn't. I called about it... I called about parts... I went and bought it. hahahaha Its not near the project that the "Black Beater" was, but I am bring another Tacoma back from the dead.

My wife said she liked the view of it from the kitchen window better. Once she saw more than just the roof and engine hood she has a different outlook on my newly found project.

I am Planning to start on the front suspension towards the end of the week, then start pulling the front end off to see what all needs pulled and replaced.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 PM   #2
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
Carpe Diem
Kuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shedKuneff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I am in debate of Replacing the right side bed side or just finding a Red bed and changing the entire bed. Saving the labor, time and cost of paint.

Any thoughts there???

At that point I would only need to worry about painting the driver fender and door.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:05 PM   #4
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
The bed looks too beat to shit to replace just the bedside IMO. Looks like it would be a major PITA to get that back to the right shape enough to even get a new panel on.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #5
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
The bed looks too beat to shit to replace just the panel IMO. Looks like it would be a major PITA to get that back to the right shape enough to even get a new panel on.
Not just the outer skin, the entire right side. Drilling out the spot welds at the seam on the right. Replacing the inner fender well and all. The center of the bed look pretty close to untouched, front wall is good and left is is great.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:09 PM   #6
Mr. President
TeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shedTeamSarcasm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TeamSarcasm's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to TeamSarcasm
I'm looking for a word, starts with an s....s...su..su....subbed
Old 11-20-2011, 07:19 PM   #7

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuneff View Post
Not just the outer skin, the entire right side. Drilling out the spot welds at the seam on the right. Replacing the inner fender well and all. The center of the bed look pretty close to untouched, front wall is good and left is is great.
True, in that case it looks like it'd be doable.
Old 11-20-2011, 07:23 PM   #8
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
id swap the bed from black beater and paint the whole truck olive drab and make some half doors from the doors from black beater

do you mind if i asked how much you picked the diamond in the rough for?
Old 11-20-2011, 07:58 PM   #9
Tacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoma mud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kyle
Tacoma mud's Tacoma Gallery
You got some major work to do... Good luck
Old 11-20-2011, 08:11 PM   #10
TW's Official anti body-lift pundit
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
subbed!
Old 11-20-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
I feel so Devo
tinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shedtinker_troy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tinker_troy's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #12
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
I read up on Black Beater and man did it break my heart. Sub's for this.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:40 PM   #13
TacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoMX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warhorseforever View Post
I read up on Black Beater and man did it break my heart. Sub's for this.
+1...I read through the entire thread...and got to the last page...and I almost cried...lol.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:47 PM   #14
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Had to ask. Did you check this one for frame rust first?
Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 PM   #15
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamSarcasm View Post
I'm looking for a word, starts with an s....s...su..su....subbed
this.

and mm this gives me ideas. i may find something like it and make a trail rig that can still hit the streets.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:59 PM   #16

TacoMX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Old 11-20-2011, 10:01 PM   #17
YellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shedYellowDog01 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

YellowDog01's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
If it has frame rust, the '01-'04s get a new frame. That'd be good for him
Old 11-21-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
Carpe Diem

Kuneff's Tacoma Gallery
I did check out the frame, the guy also told me they had it in for a frame inspection just a couple months before his boy crashed it. I tend to believe him since I never even mentioned the frame recall.

It looks clean, but i will probably strip the truck down and wire wheel the frame down and give it a fresh coat of black paint. Make it look sharp again.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #19
Resident Lurker
JEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shedJEP is one of the sharper tools in the shed
JEP's Tacoma Gallery
Good Luck
Old 11-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #20
Motorboatin' SOB
Fink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shedFink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Former FF/EMT
Name: Chris
Fink's Tacoma Gallery

Fink