Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Sluggo: The 4 banger build

Old 05-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #221
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I steal everyones! haha
Bastard!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:17 PM   #222
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
So how do you know if the locker is engaged or not?
Old 05-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #226
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

What i was asking was did he setup a light that lets him know if its engaged or not. The button could be pressed but how would he really know it was locked or not. And driving on dirt you wouldnt hear any chirping. Also the actuator may fail too so he wouldnt know if it was engaged or not.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:42 PM   #227
Dr. Frankenstein
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
What i was asking was did he setup a light that lets him know if its engaged or not. The button could be pressed but how would he really know it was locked or not. And driving on dirt you wouldnt hear any chirping. Also the actuator may fail too so he wouldnt know if it was engaged or not.
Doesn't mean the light could fail too..so..that's not going to help if the actuator dies.

Should be an easy circuit to hook up. I'm sure the switch just connects the first for the light.

But..idk if he even has one being a 96. Idk if Toyota woulda started putting those in or not.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #228
Drunk Canadian

They did. When i took apart my dash i could see where the bulb lit it up.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #230
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
holy talking in the thread!

Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
dude your bumper looks sexy! who built it?
yup, the CBI moab 1.0
u going to moab this year?

Quote:
So now you are going to want 35's

Its a CBI DYI bumper.
I already want 35s, 33s are so tiny looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
Stealing marks thunder!
LOL
Quote:
I steal everyones! haha
he always ends up answering questions for me

Quote:
So how do you know if the locker is engaged or not?
Quote:
on the locker there are 2 plugs, one with 2 wires and one with 5. The one with 5 actually runs the motor, the other plug with 2 wires is a circuit that gets completed when the locker is engaged. I ran that (instead of to the dash light) to the switch light. So when the locker is engaged the circuit will be completed and the light in the switch will light up. Dont know if it works yet because i need to fix the connector for the light wires, the wires ripped out of the connector.

Quote:
They did. When i took apart my dash i could see where the bulb lit it up.
now that is interesting! is there really a diff lock light in the dash??

I can't believe there is because I didn't think the 96s came with the option for a diff lock, so why would there be a light for it? I would love to have a light in the dash. but i dont really feel like taking it all apart either. project for another day, if it exists.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #231
Drunk Canadian

This is a 4runner, but its a non-TRD 4runner. Buddy did an elocker swap

Old 05-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #232
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I know the non TRD 2nd gens still have the exact same dash and what not, but it seems weird that a rig made before the TRD existed would have it.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #233
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
This is a 4runner, but its a non-TRD 4runner. Buddy did an elocker swap

Quote:
I know the non TRD 2nd gens still have the exact same dash and what not, but it seems weird that a rig made before the TRD existed would have it.
exactly, i know later year 4runners and tacos came wired for the light if they didn't have it...but the TRD package with the locker did not exist in 1996 i dont think, so there would be no light for it.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #234
Professional Web Wheeler
m3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedm3bassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Captain Jack Sparrow
m3bassman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
exactly, i know later year 4runners and tacos came wired for the light if they didn't have it...but the TRD package with the locker did not exist in 1996 i dont think, so there would be no light for it.
some did. Mike had a TRD tacoma before there was an official TRD tacoma. had the locker and all. it was an option possibly back then. it is like how they wire trucks for fog lights even though it isnt equipped with them. same thing with the light.

maybe your truck doesnt have the light, but to me, it is entirely possible.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:19 PM   #235
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That's true. The 8" e-locker diff has been around since like the 80's hasn't it? I just didn't know it was in the Tacoma then.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:46 PM   #236
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
yup, the CBI moab 1.0
u going to moab this year?
it looks nice man. ive been on TW like 4 times this semester so im not hip on all the latest stuff

but idk about moab, i really want to. work will be kinda pissed if i go but i might just tell them
Old 05-17-2013, 02:46 AM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by white toy taco View Post
it looks nice man. ive been on TW like 4 times this semester so im not hip on all the latest stuff

but idk about moab, i really want to. work will be kinda pissed if i go but i might just tell them
haha I should have been on 4 times. i wasted a lot of time here. but i feel like I did pretty well on my finals! Except jazz...fuck that class.

And you should REALLY come to moab man. In case you haven't see the thread...its going to be huge! I've got a nice little roster of trails to run this time.

DO IT!
Old 05-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #238
505 Member
white toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhite toy taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gian
white toy taco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
haha I should have been on 4 times. i wasted a lot of time here. but i feel like I did pretty well on my finals! Except jazz...fuck that class.

And you should REALLY come to moab man. In case you haven't see the thread...its going to be huge! I've got a nice little roster of trails to run this time.

DO IT!
i probably will. for some reason i was thinking it was next weekend but now that i realized its in 2 weekends, its looking better.

still gotta do some mods to the front suspension/steering because it literally feels like i drive a boat
Old 05-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #239

So I got my third re geared and into the new axle and the axle under the truck and everything together snug as a bug in a rug. Just as a side note I just drove 270 miles home after we got this done so the re gear and diff are dandy.

K so the issue. After the truck came off the lift I went to test it and no matter which position I had the locker switch in the tires would stay locked, now take note I wired and installed my own completely separate e locker circuit, but it seemingly worked fine when the third was out of the housing. The motor itself was working because every time I hit the button we could hear the actuator working.

So we pulled the truck back in and took out the motor and slid the locker slide gear with a screw driver to unlock it and we could spin the tires in open diff mode. We then put the locker motor back in with the locker gear slid a bit differently and when I hit the switch it would slide the locker to engage but it was like it would just barely catch because we could hear the diff ratcheting trying to engage but it couldn't, because our guess is the collar did not slide enough.

Also odd was that when I had the button depressed it disengaged the locker, and when the button was in the "off position" the locker tried to engage. Admittedly when I tested the wiring before installing I was not sure if being in or out was locked or unlocked, i just saw it move and assumed it was right. So with that, could there be a difference in how the motor works in "reverse" and "engage" mode? Like if the motor is being told to reverse when it should be locking is it spinning more or less than the locked command?

Tomorrow i am going to test my buddy's motor in my diff to see if the motor or the wiring is the issue. We have eliminated the gears inside the diff as the issue because we were able to slide them into locked and unlocked pretty easily with a screw driver, so if there was a binding issue that could not have happened.

Other info:

Wiring diagram

Testing outside the third:

Out:

In:

Old 05-19-2013, 08:49 AM   #240

Interesting... not sure what to tell ya man other than continue testing like you plan. You could always just engage the locker with a screw driver at the start of the trail and then disengage at the end if all else fails haha