1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sluggo: The 4 banger build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Jun 19, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    Werkro01

Werkro01 Senior Clown

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Long Bed Leer cap, Wheather tech floor liners, Black badges, Demello Offroad front plate bumper, rear wrap around tube bumper and sliders. Scorpion lined bed, rocker panels and fender flares.
    I like the simplicity.

2. Jun 19, 2013 at 2:17 PM
    losers101

losers101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandan
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2004 Dbl Cab 4x4
    Starting fresh :)
    Looks good, can't wait to see the finished product! I want to start on a bed rack here soon myself

3. Jun 19, 2013 at 11:48 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    prepare to not like it lol. thats just the frame. its about to get a whole lot more complicated haha

anyone got a cool idea how to round the ends of the bars im about to weld to it so they sit flush and around the current ones? basically how do i make it look cleanly welded together.

4. Jun 20, 2013 at 12:05 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Just a grinder. Notch the tubes. Unless you wanna buy a tub notcher..haha

Not that hard. Doesnt have to be perfect. The weld will hide it.

Or buy a tube drill clamp and drill holes in the bed rack tube to fit the new tubes in and weld. Tricky part is lining up the holes so the tubes are straight. But if you use smaller tube then you can drill a slightly larger hole for a bit of wiggle room.

5. Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    ill just grind it haha

6. Jun 20, 2013 at 5:50 AM
    Werkro01

Werkro01 Senior Clown

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    CT
    Vehicle:
    Butters
    Long Bed Leer cap, Wheather tech floor liners, Black badges, Demello Offroad front plate bumper, rear wrap around tube bumper and sliders. Scorpion lined bed, rocker panels and fender flares.
    Grind it hard... like a boss.:p

7. Jun 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    thanks brah.

so i really just need that hole cutter blade thing.

k, so here is my basic plan

[​IMG]

tire off to the pass side on top, shelf for a basic sized coleman cooler or tote lengthwise on the drivers side, and a shovel on some clamps off to one side as well

edit" the 32" was a dumb guess, it'll be more like 37

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  8. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    I highly doubt a cooler and tire will fit on top like that, especially if you go 35's. You are showing your measurement between the rack legs to be 32". For the tire to fit like you've drawn it it would have to be a wheelbarrow tire. Maybe if you use a tiny lunchbox cooler with a real tire. :) I might be wrong since your rack is a little wider than mine is but I know that wouldn't work on one of mine.

Also, the truck in your drawing looks like it has a bent frame. Probably should take care of that. ;)

9. Jun 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    well adam not all of us are graphic artists who have an eye for lines and depth. :D I kid you not it took me 5 sheets of paper to draw a rack that at least kind of looked recognisable. The spare i was test fitting and messing around with was a 31" tire, and the cooler was a basic size coleman cooler, also i am convinced my frame is tweaked a bit...so that drawing is more accurate than you think haha.

As for the measurement, the 32" is of course out. It's going to be more like 37, to make room for the possible 35" spare in my future. as for the width, the shelf for the cooler (it will more likley be my 4x4 tote with my tools and recovery stuff) is pretty much right at the bed rail, so the useable width for the rack will basicially be the width of the bed. the shelf will be about 3" above the top of the bed, so whetever goes on the shelf will stick up a bit past the top of the rack, and im thinking about recessing the tire shelf a bit so the tire does nut stick up past the top of the cab.

10. Jun 21, 2013 at 5:58 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    I read one of Monte's posts in the Idaho BS thread and I agree with him about making it longer. You've seen my rack and how it fits on my 5' bed. The length of my rack is 36" and I think it's barely long enough. If I were you I'd find a low profile bed box to go behind the cab. Those are about 20" and then if you made your rack 40" and fit it behind the bed box you'd have the 6' bed covered and a more secure spot than a cooler for recovery crap and tools, and wouldn't need the shelf in the rack for the cooler (unless you wanted it for an actual cooler.....as in for food. Better yet it would be a perfect spot for a Fridge).

11. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:34 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    :cool:

Stalker...:spy:

:D

But ya..seriously..agree with Adam..who is agreeing with me...

Full circle :p

12. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:37 PM
    Box Rocket

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    I full-on stalk the Idaho-BS thread. You guys better watch yourselves. ;)

13. Jun 21, 2013 at 7:39 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    It's a good thread to stalk haha :p

14. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    ya. i agree with making it a bit longer. was trying to avoid covering the WHOLE bed also. and im a bit confused on not needing the shelf. the point of the rack, at least in my idea, is to remove the spare tire a tote shaped thing from having to be in the bed. thus leaving room for other stuff. i don't want anything sticking up above the cab so having the shelf keeps the stuff sitting low. i notice when I pack usually i don't have stuff really sticking up above the bed rails anyway so the shelf won't get in the way. i guess im just misunderstanding what the point of the huge rack is if there is no shelf space on it for more stuff. it's too tall to put stuff on top of it (except the spare) which like i said i want to recess a bit anyway.

i am not prepared to expo like some of you guys are...so all my camping stuff and food just gets separated into totes and a cooler or two which all get strapped in like legos. i don't really want a bed box because i haul the dirt bike often and it won't really fit well with it, so i would have it out most of the time, so not really worth it.

images_02c09f0139e82e31d8d5a033ffc09353b47418e9.jpg

15. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    12.5 will be above the cab at your height..

576952_440641845965667_1374297294_n_f15cd8f17d74d14ef1ad67455b845067c225e8b8.jpg
    2012-05-12_20-20-35_118_7703cbb1ca542ad6578d79594b676c496bebe40c.jpg

16. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    i said it like 3 times lol!

im going to recess a shelf for the tire!

17. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Not worth it..but whatevs...haha

18. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:49 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    how is it not worth it.

i dont need a sail on top of my rack

19. Jun 21, 2013 at 8:55 PM
    Blackdawg

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    Just build it..it's only metal. Just cut and redo as you go.

20. Jun 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    That's the plan!

Products Discussed in

To Top