Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Sluggo: The 4 banger build

Old 06-23-2013, 12:56 AM   #321
Run it
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
after I graduate the pig gets a d60/70 and gets 40 sumthings
I have another truck with even shittier(new word) gas mileage. After the straight axle it might go to 19 44s
Old 06-23-2013, 07:33 AM   #322
Dr. Frankenstien, in surgery
Blackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlackdawg is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Monte
Blackdawg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
oh, well ya i agree. i have many things I want to do to taco...and no money for any of them...except go on the wyo mt adventure...so pumped for that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
not monte. he has two tacomas

Quote:
true...as i have said before...he shits money and conjures up extra time in the day from fucking no where

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3bassman View Post
shitty money isnt as good as it seems. he said the twenties and up hurt almost as bad as kidney stones. almost.
Wut??
Old 06-26-2013, 10:39 AM   #323
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter
LoadedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
You on hells gate!

http://youtu.be/uboOmsLkzLc
Old 06-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #325
Kick A$$ Member
LoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoadedTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
YOU DA MAN PETE!

fist bump!

captain lead foot over here, jesus

its ok, jdick and dylan did the same thing, im just waiting for their vids haha
No Problem!

I seriously feel like I have endless amounts of videos to go through I still have like 4 more of hells gate, a bunch of people on the escalator and all of the trifecta.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #327
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
"slow down, slow down!"
Old 06-27-2013, 09:14 PM   #328
We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!
Tonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTonto27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 5711- CBRN
Name: Joey
Tonto27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
YOU DA MAN PETE!

fist bump!

captain lead foot over here, jesus

its ok, jdick and dylan did the same thing, im just waiting for their vids haha
i'm patiently waiting for those vids/pics as well. no rush though

hey now. don't lump me in with you. i could never do what you did so gracefully
Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 PM   #330
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Updating my build with the bed rack

mounted the bed rack with 8 bolts as suggested by adam.

attempted to notch tube, failed miserably, gave up

round two of notching metal for the round bar. worked better.

go fuck yourself flux core

using a hole saw attatched to a drill and lots of grinding and fine tuning. joints still suck ass, but better

bottom bars are fitting like a glove

Its not the prettiest, but I built it completely by my self with minimal tools, about the cheapest tools you can get, minimal experience, and a solid day of almost non stop work in temps around 107. Got another day of work grinding down all the shit welds from the flux core, filling in holes and painting, but I'm proud of it haha. also going to add a couple cross bars to the tire shelf later on, i just ran out of metal.

Old 07-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #331
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 07-02-2013, 10:49 PM   #333
Run it
YotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shedYotaOverAll is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jessie
YotaOverAll's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, don't wanna lose your bee..I mean drinks!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #334
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Nice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Sweet mark!

Not bad.

Feel sorry for ya, wish you had a better welder haha

Where is the cross bar to hold in the coolers
I honestly don't think the cross bar will do shit, but I'll see what I can come up with
Quote:
Originally Posted by YotaOverAll View Post
Yeah, don't wanna lose your bee..I mean drinks!
That would be a travesty! The cooler is not going up there though haha.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:32 AM   #335
Kick A$$ Member

Looks good!
Old 07-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #336
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Good job Mark. Looks like it will work well. I'm with Monte, I'd add one outer bar to the cooler rack just to keep stuff from sliding out. I know you'll have it tied down but having a tie down that has to keep things down and not sliding sideways is harder than one that only has to worry about keeping it down.

oh, and your welds are um...sweet!
Old 07-03-2013, 11:14 AM   #337
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Mark, couple suggestions on your welds....

Flux core is a pain and it's hard to not have a lot of splatter so you'll just have to deal with that. However....

1: spend time cleaning up your joints before you weld, no matter what. Having a good bevel is critical to get good penetration and a strong weld. It will probably still hold if you don't do that, but will be a MUCH weaker joint.

2: Turn up the heat on your welder. I find that if I ever need to use flux core wire, I need the heat up higher than when I use solid wire and Argon/CO2. Your weld you showed where you added 1/2" of material looks pretty cold with the bead sitting on top of the surface. A good bevel on both sides of that joint would have helped, and turning up the heat will burn it in better and give you a flatter bead.

3: do your cleanup with a flap disc. It looks like your material isn't super thick (which is probably fine) but a regular grinding disc will tear through the material in a far less controlled manner and you risk having weak joints where you've cleaned up with the grinder if you take out too much material. A flap disc will leave it much cleaner and you can control the amount a material you're taking off much better.
Old 07-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Good job Mark. Looks like it will work well. I'm with Monte, I'd add one outer bar to the cooler rack just to keep stuff from sliding out. I know you'll have it tied down but having a tie down that has to keep things down and not sliding sideways is harder than one that only has to worry about keeping it down.

oh, and your welds are um...sweet!
thanks ya, i have some extra tube. ill cut it and notch it to fit around the bars and make the cooler rack bar bolt in.

and the welds are pretty great lookin huh

i played with the settings alot. as far as power goes...there is a min and a max switch. all or nothing baby. when welding 2 pieces together like the joint, when each piece is the full thickness i could turn the heat up and weld normally. but at alot of the joints where the edge of the metal was ground thin from all the fine tuning to get the right shape at max power the wire would just blow right through. so i had to turn everything down, tack it just so it would hold, then i could make more welds and fill in the blow outs.

at the joint the heat was on max, with the wire speed at 5 i think ( i was just going a bit slow). when i was doing it i made sure i could see penetration on the inside of the metal most of the time. I was even jumping up and down on the shelf when I had the frame in place. at least that one is gonna hold. the tire rack needs more attention before I want to jump on it (along with the cross bars). i was losing day light. The bars are more than tacked in, but thats basically what this is. when i do full welds and clean up i will be getting a flap disk along with the grinding wheel to fill in the holes, clean up the joints and smooth it all out.