1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sluggo: The 4 banger build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Aug 11, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    got some new daystar 1.25" lift shackles from Jon.

As always I began a project the night before I left on a major camping wheeling trip. I will never learn. I got out the factory leaf bushings and discovered the bushings wheelers sent me didnt fit in the leaf eye let at all.

someone said something about a metal sleeve being in there but I didnt notice one or see anything move, so i may have derped and done all this for nothing but ill rip it apart and see if i can find a sleeve and order new bushings.

by this point it was either cut up the new bushings to make them fit or dont go to wyo. so i grabbed the hack saw and make the new bushings fit snug and called it a night and finished at 11pm. I planned to leave at 4am. I still had to pack the truck so i didnt actually leave till 7.

I will take the shackles out and redo the bushings with ones that fit and aren't cut up with a hack saw fairly soon.

getting the shackle on, massive pain in the ass. took a lot of work to even get here.

[​IMG]

got the other side on and drooped it and measured. eye to eye is 24.5" and my shocks are only 23" at this point. so my 5100s are limiting my droop bad now. sad day.

[​IMG]

noticed the shackle was getting in the way of the exhaust badly, so that got chopped off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Aug 13, 2013 at 9:48 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    just another quick shot of the new shackles
    [​IMG]

throwing up the trail damage I got wheeling in july. Worst body damage ive gotten so far. however I only see it getting worse from here
    [​IMG]

3. Aug 13, 2013 at 10:01 PM
    Hawaiian05

Hawaiian05 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green TRD OR 6mt/ 2002 4Runner Sport
    Nice build man! I love the look of your truck! Where in Idaho are you located? Ive been slowly getting into the offroading scene but I'm not too familiar with places out here. Any suggestions?

4. Aug 13, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    thanks man.

so are you in boise, and also live in hawaii?

I live on the bench basically in downtown. As far as wheeling goes most everyone goes out to the owyhees or by mtn home. for more stock rigs you can go exploring up in idaho city or mccall/cascade. the problem is people out here dont post up trails publicly. i just got involved this summer, and if people don't take you and show you the trails, its not likely you will find them unless you are out just getting lost.

5. Aug 13, 2013 at 10:39 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
  6. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:43 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    hey, lisa, get outta here

7. Aug 14, 2013 at 9:27 AM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:

I currently live in Boise, but I'm from HI so I placed that there for connecting with other Hawaiians in the mainland. I probably live close to you as I live on the bench area too, and may have actually seen your truck before!

I've tried adventuring around Idaho City and also south of Kuna area, but never been to the Owyhees. I get nervous goin out cuz I don't have much protection gear for my truck, but plan on getting some sliders soon (I figure it's a start). I've kept my truck mostly stock, given I am a former Toyota tech and would always complain about aftermarket troubles! Now that I'm out of the shop, I'm getting that itch again! I only have an aftermarket trans cooler and some all terrains installed, but that's it.

Well, if you ever feel like bringing a newbie out, I'd love to get out and explore, just don't know anyone out here with similar interests. Or, if you ever need any help with general tech/maintenance/repairs, feel free to hit me up. I've went to tech school and worked for Toyota for 5 yrs, but then realized that doing it for a living wasn't my thing... oh well!

Thanks for the feedback!

8. Aug 14, 2013 at 9:43 AM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Mark has two local mechanics now;)

9. Aug 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    Thats great to have another Boise member on here who wants to go out! The only other active guy is Andy, he has a DC 2nd gen. I broke his off road cherry as well. So im always down to take ya out and go wheeling. Just have to give some early warning and plan a day since my schedule is all over the place. Im busy as hell working and with school starting up again.

In my opinion, sliders first, then out here i think a front bumper is next on importance list. Then its a tie between rear bumper and skids, depending on how much you like your lower bed sides. A good 3" lift for these truck, good tires to match. Having a locker will help you a ton also. I have been promising to take andy out on one of the easier trails forever and still have yet to do so. So we will get something planned. Any idea how soon you plan on getting sliders?

Oh and one more thing, head over to the Idaho BS thread in the NW section. Its where all of us "locals" hang out and talk and do bro things.

for all the shit I break and the stupid plans I have ill probably need them! :D

10. Aug 14, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    BradyT88

Member:
    :cheers:

Sliders are a good first and tires and a lift are a good second. Without clearance your sliders become rock anchors...

11. Aug 14, 2013 at 12:53 PM
    MapleMoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Hey man, got any side pics with the new shackles? How much rake did it give you compared to before? Im shopping for some new greaseable shackles to bring my rear up some more.

12. Aug 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:

13. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:21 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    250 for sliders (custom made at that) is a good deal indeed.

its out past nampa. by hemmingway butte

14. Aug 14, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    not too much. ill get a side shot here in the next few days i bet. i took a before pic, just not an after one

15. Aug 14, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    BradyT88

Member:
    My question is what is being used to make the sliders. I'm wondering if it is a thinner tubing or something.

16. Aug 14, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    Hawaiian05

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    Boise, ID/ Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Im still needing to find out materials.. its a local new shop called Bully Fabrication.. if not then trail gear it is..

17. Aug 14, 2013 at 7:59 PM
    MapleMoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    did you get a pic. hurry up

18. Aug 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I just got off at 10. gtfo

19. Aug 15, 2013 at 5:27 AM
    Lumpskie

Lumpskie Independent Thinker

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    '96, 4x4, v6, manual hub
    Toytec 16" coilovers with Tundra Bilstein 5100s, Light Racing UCAs, Alcan Leafs with Orbit Eyes, 12" Bilstein 7100 short Bodies, ARB rear locker, 33x12.5 Duratracs, CBI sliders, Bushwacker fender flares, self made front bumper, M8000, Vision X 6.7" Hi/Lo Beam HIDs, full skids, Inchworm dual case setup - 15º clocking
    Good call on cutting the exhaust. I can't believe it made it this long!

20. Aug 16, 2013 at 2:30 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    It pains me to say...

But I have some sweet pic of the POS attempting to keep up with me...

:D

Products Discussed in

To Top