1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sluggo: The 4 banger build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by IDtrucks, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Mar 11, 2014 at 7:21 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks [OP] Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Hey! Since you're here...i was thinking and started making my chevy shopping list. i can get everything from low range and am pretty sure it is cheaper to buy everything individually vs getting the kit.

Front Hangers-30
    Creeper Joints-89
    U bolt flip kit-55
    6" shackles-28
    2 18mm bolts and nuts-20
    4 9/16th bolts w/washers & nuts-15
    Bushings-16
    shock tabs-34

total comes to 287, vs the swap kit which is 200 by itself, and doesent have the creeper joints or shock tabs

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:04 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.

Ear buds are horrible for killing off hearing.

One of our generations down falls.

You probably just don't notice, but even i know my stereo in Frank fucked up my hearing a bit. My right ear can not hear upper frequencies nearly as good as my left.

But i have trained to hear that kinda shit. You not so much.

I promise you that blasting your stereo is hurting your ears, little by little. It'll all add up and you'll be deafer then a door before your 35 if you keep it up at the pace you go.

3. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:34 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Ear drum saftey: this was a public service announcement in your local 1st gen build thread lol

4. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:36 PM
    lunchboxhero

lunchboxhero Out for a rip eh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Aleks
    Boise, Idaho
    Sluggo the shitbox. Now only capable of 72. But damn it'll wheel better than your ford.

5. Mar 11, 2014 at 9:40 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    ftfy :D

i cant wait to get the chevies on this pig and show all the jeep guys wtf is up.

they were impressed with the taco last run I went on, and it wasnt even in the rocks lol!

6. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:29 PM
    lunchboxhero

lunchboxhero Out for a rip eh!

Member:
    First Name:
    Aleks
    Boise, Idaho
    Lolol. Even better. Also. I haz a few questions and Ideas.

7. Mar 11, 2014 at 10:44 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    i have a phone.....

8. Mar 12, 2014 at 3:38 AM
    Gear Head

Gear Head Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    Haha now if only your front suspension could keep up...

9. Mar 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    no kidding right :rolleyes:

also, i have come up with my plan for the shock relocation. im scrapping dealing with boxing the whole frame btw

im going to take some 3/16th and box the portion of the frame where the shock crossbar will go, make it out of some square tube, then get some round stock and weld it through the square tubing and tap it and make a shock mount exactly like the factory ones and use the factory bolts and lower mount hardware.

10. Mar 19, 2014 at 5:03 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    [​IMG]

Chevy leafs are in!

Also got my state and federal return checks, time to order parts.

11. Mar 19, 2014 at 6:15 PM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    fj60 front, fj80 rear, full hydro, 5.29's, welded, twin sticked 2.28/4.70 duals, 39.5's, inboarded 63's
    Nice! Make sure you get your upper mount as high as you can especially with the 14's

12. Mar 19, 2014 at 6:21 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    For sure. Ill put that thing through the bed lol

13. Mar 21, 2014 at 9:48 AM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    ordered front hangers, creeper joints, new shackles, shock tabs and new bushings for the truck.

i need to get some 9/16th bolts and other misc crap, but no biggie, then clean up the leafs and I should be good to

the rest of my LED lights should be arriving in the next week so i can get all of those wired up too :D

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  14. Mar 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    removed old chevy bushings....went a lot smoother than I thought! when I did this with my taco leafs it was the biggest nightmare!

pro tip: take the leafs off the truck if anyone is doing this in the future (so you can drill down and not across).

easiest and quickest way to do this: Get a drill. and a bit juuust small enough to fit in between the sleeve wrap. then just drill down, wiggle the bit around drill another hole and do this all the way around the sleeve. once you thoroughly drill out the bushing the rubber should just fall away from the outer sleeve with the inner sleeve as well
    [​IMG]

easiest way to remove the outer sleeve. i got a cut off wheel, and cut the sleeve where there is a gap in the leaf wrap. this let the sleeve move while I pounded the sleeve and broke its rusty bonds away from the leaf. after pounding and prying all the way around it should almost drop out on its own
    [​IMG]

boom. pile of bushing and now I have some clean leaves ready for some poly bushings
    [​IMG]

sanding and painting the leaves are next

15. Mar 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM
    Gear Head

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    Winston Salem, NC
    Vehicle:
    96 Tacoma
    Decided to go with the creepers eh? :popcorn:

16. Mar 23, 2014 at 1:03 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    yes sir. do it once, do it right. if im keeping the rear the same like I plan to for the next 3 years realistically then i just want to get the most out of it and not worry about bushings as much.

everything is ordered and hopefully i will get the swap all done in the next month.

17. Mar 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM
    Box Rocket

Box Rocket Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Syracuse, Utah
    Vehicle:
    1995 FZJ80 Land Cruiser
    3xLocked, lifted, well used
    Just so you know the creeper joints wear out too, same as bushings. It's not a "do it once and it's done forever" mod. The nylon in the joints will wear out, the balls themselves can corrode and need to be replaced. All of those things are more expensive and take more time to replace than a set of poly bushings.

The joints are cool, and they should last longer than bushings. As long as you're aware that you'll end up replacing them at some point.

18. Mar 24, 2014 at 9:16 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    leave a can of teflon lubrication spray in your truck too. They will be noisy.

19. Mar 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM
    IDtrucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    good to know, ill look up on maintenance/repair for them.
    :rolleyes: just one more musician in the symphony of noises that is my truck.

20. Mar 24, 2014 at 6:32 PM
    BabyTaco

BabyTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2011 RC Tacoma
    You gonna be anywhere near wyo this summer? I would be ok with a drag race now.

Products Discussed in

To Top