Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

1999 sr5 build

Old 12-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #1
Boilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
Boilermaker99's Tacoma Gallery
1999 sr5 build

So living in a high traffic area it is inevitable that accidents happen. Wife wrecked the truck I bought her. So I decided to rebuild after insurance said it was a total lose. I can change brakes and shocks and parts but never took on a project like this. So I started. Here's a thread of the progress. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions and such
Old 12-21-2011, 06:29 AM   #2
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker99 View Post
So living in a high traffic area it is inevitable that accidents happen. Wife wrecked the truck I bought her. So I decided to rebuild after insurance said it was a total lose. I can change brakes and shocks and parts but never took on a project like this. So I started. Here's a thread of the progress. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions and such
Old 12-21-2011, 06:46 AM   #4
Boilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoilermaker99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

As you can see not real bad but I did have to replace the front frame section and apron. No real motor damage other than the powersteering pump pulley and cooling fan blade. Both airbags and clocksprings, as well as the module have already been done.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 AM   #5
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
NicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shedNicNac22 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nic
NicNac22's Tacoma Gallery
wow, Welcome btw!
Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 AM   #6
Whyareyoureadingthis?
VirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shedVirginiaBound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sam I am, green eggs and ham
VirginiaBound's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicNac22 View Post
wow, Welcome btw!
Old 12-21-2011, 07:05 AM   #7

Smile

This was day one, 11 hr tear down and up to this point. Got more shop time on Friday and I will post updates then. Just waiting on last parts from FedEx!! Need to build a bumper but otherwise should have it all installed Friday night. Then off to my buddy's frame shop and paint!!
Old 12-24-2011, 10:32 AM   #8

Just a few updates.
Battery
Fan blade
Power steer pump and pulley
Battery
Radiator
Condenser And airdryer
headlights and parking lights
grill
homemade intake
splash guards and fender flares back wherer they go.

Dont have time for a full write up so just a few pics.

Best news...It started and ran awesome. No more pushing it in and out of the garage.

Starting the front bumper right now. pics coming soon as I am not at work
Attached Thumbnails
1999 sr5 build-image.jpeg   1999 sr5 build-image_2.jpg   1999 sr5 build-image_5.jpeg   1999 sr5 build-image_4.jpg   1999 sr5 build-image_3.jpeg  

Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
Swerve for nothing
saundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shedsaundern is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
saundern's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker99 View Post
did she hit a tree?! cause i heard chicks love trees
Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM   #11

No tree, but it was a yogi in a santafe...they like trees>

I installed my driver airbag so I am bout to be legal in the cab...EXCEPT for the stupid seat belt module to make the seatbelt retract again....grrrr. Had no idea that it was even there...Any help on this one is appreciated.1999 sr5 build-image-4-.jpg

Anyways I busted out a bumper support and cut and preped the other side. Had to eat ham so no more weding tonight, maybe.
1999 sr5 build-image-3-.jpg
1999 sr5 build-image-5-.jpg
1999 sr5 build-image-2-.jpg

I have a very limited work area so I wok in random spots and friends garages. This is on the side of my townhouse and I had to get creative with a fab bench to cut and weld on...

Going to basically build the parts for the bumper but not finish it up until the frame is all good next saturday. Got a couple of 1/4" aluminum plate street signs that I am going to be bending and fitting for some skiddys.
Not much more to do to be back to where I started before the accident

-Fan clutch
-Seatbelt
-bumper
-paint and frame (done next week by my buddy)
-Fan shroud(If anyone has one to sell PM me PLEASE!!!!)

Soon after this project I am gonna buy a OME suspension setup to put on but one step at a time.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM   #14

[So It made its maiden voyage home last night. Ran great. Everything seems pretty good. Just waiting on the call that the frame machine is open and I am headed to do the final big piece of my puzzle. Just a few pics of the ride finally at home1999 sr5 build-101_1733.jpg

So I need an antenna bushing to go from the antenna to the fender. Anyone got one laying around let me know.
1999 sr5 build-101_1738.jpg

This is just a quick shot of the intake I worked out. Seemed to be much better than paying out the arse for a new one and it seems to be running better with it.
1999 sr5 build-101_1734.jpg

Also on to the bumper so I got a bunch mocked up for it and all the material is in hand....just waiting on the frame as I said last week

1999 sr5 build-101_1737.jpg

Also I need a lil help trying to figure out the resetting of the seatbelts.

As far as I understand they have a module that needs to be reset by a pro for them to function again...Is that on the right path of thinking?

Does anyone have a set they want to sell??

SRS module has been replaced for the airbags, but do the seatbelts have one too or is it part of the actual seatbelt that I would have rebuilt?

I found a service guy that does them for $65 but want to make sure that that was it. The passenger side one is locked but wasnt used when the accident happened so it leads me to believe that there has to be some sort of module to reset/replace. Anyways all help is very much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
1999 sr5 build-101_1736.jpg  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:34 AM   #15

Dang...I noticed the leafsprings not smiling when I was taking measurements to fab up a new rear bumper....Guess the wife is going to have to come up off of that money for the suspension after all.....Ya!

I played it off like- dang its gonna cost the same to replace with stock as it would to put a nice lift on it! Ha gotta play that sad face card every once in awhile to get the goods!!

More to come on that as it comes

1999 sr5 build-101_1732.jpg
Big smile on the tacos face tho when she heard about the new suspension!!

Now if I can only figure out how to talk her into a new set of skins!!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #17

Unhappy

Ok so the seatbelts are attached to the SRS module that controls the airbags. When the airbag deploys the tensioner that is gas driven(?), i guess is what the russian guy is telling me, releases a lock so that the seatbelts cannot be reused with out a technician resetting the tensioners and verifying that the belts are to proper working factory specs before they can be reinstalled and used in another accident....hopfully not tho. Anyways it is 65 bucks per belt so a total of 140with shipping. Lucky that the rear jumpseat ones werent attached to that same circuit...280 would have just killed me.
Old 01-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #18

Frame machine still has a truck on it...damn it... moved to tommorow now. Gotta be flexible when your not paying for anything but beer to get the frame straight.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:12 PM   #19
Rhino is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
Rhino's Tacoma Gallery
subbed, you might want to start a photobucket account to make your pics big instead of just attached thumbnails, then you can snap the pic with your smartphone and upload it to photobucket via the app and copy and paste the img code in your update and your pics show up big, looks good btw
Old 01-02-2012, 04:14 PM   #20
2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed2000GTacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

2000GTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
subbed