Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Pyroskier's Build Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #1
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Pyroskier's Build Thread

Well, I figured it was about time I got one of these going…

This is how it sits today:

Here’s when I bought it, in March 2011. It had 117,146 on the ODO. It was in mint condition, the previous owner was an elderly man from AZ. This thing is/was 100% rust free. So clean. Came with tinted windows, not sure what %.

As soon as I got home, I took the front mudflaps and chrome Nerf Bars off. (If anyone wants to buy these, let me know.)

Then, 7 days after I bought it, this happened:

Towtruck flipped me back upright, and I drove it home. Ran like new! Gotta love Toyotas.
Got it to the body shop and the estimate was $9,875! Laramie GM Auto Center Body Shop did the work. They did more than outstanding body work. I cannot believe how good it looks. You can imagine how devastated I was about the accident, and they made sure their work reflected their dedication to making me happy.

Before:

After: (Ignore the lift and tires in this picture )

I then picked up a UltraGauge to diagnose my CEL. Found it was a dirty MAF sensor. Pulled it out and saw it had oil on it from the accident, replaced it, and it was good as new!

A few months went by while I waited for $$ to turn around, and then it was time to pull the trigger on lift and tires!

For the front, I got Bilstein 5100 Adjustable Shocks and ToyTec/Eibach coilovers from ToyTec lifts in Colorado.

And for the rear, I ordered AllPro Expedition Leafs, Bistein 5150 10.5” Travel Shocks, and an extended rear steel braided brake line. Jon from AllPro Offroad personally delivered my rear setup to me on his way to go hunting here in Wyoming. Good customer service!

For tires and wheels, I decided to go with the popular Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac in 33x12.5x15. I wrapped these around 15x8 Granite Alloy GA9’s. I have them set to 32psi currently.

Once I got a free weekend, a couple of guys I know who attend WyoTech helped me install. Only cost me a case of beer for the install! I got 3.2” of lift in the front, and 4.15” of lift in the rear.

I had to do the BFH Mod on the pinch weld, thanks to 45acp for taking the picture

I soon noticed my brakes weren’t quite normal. I consulted JLee, and he designed a BPV Relocate Bracket for me based off one he made for his own truck. These are the ones he now sells through B.A.M.F.! I would highly recommend them. Beefy ¼” plate. Made my brakes a ton better!

(This picture is the one on JLee’s truck that has on his BPV Thread)

Then I decided that I needed more space to put my recovery/survival gear, so I stole a toolbox off of 45acp’s truck (thanks Jonathan) .

Inside, I have:
-2 First Aid kits
-Hunting Survival kit
-Tire Chains
-2 recovery straps
-Ratchet straps
-Bungee Cords
-Duct Tape
-500 ft. of multipurpose rope
-5 Climbing grade carabiners
-Wood block (for bottle jack)
-Come-a-long
-Shovel
-Torque Wrench
-Metric and Standard Socket sets
-Various tools
-Spare CV Axle
-Front Diff. Fluid
-Extra Oil
-Heet fuel additive
-4 MRE’s and heaters
-Hose Clamps
-Bed net

I currently have 240lbs of sandbags in the bed to give me some weight/traction in the snow.

I then jumped on the PlastiDip bandwagon and derped my badges, and painted my skidplate silver.

I wanted to make some noise, so I ordered up a Magnaflow Muffer. Went with the 18” Center in/out. Had it dumped with a turndown right before the axle so it’s out of the way of my leafs. I love this thing! I definitely noticed a power increase, but can’t say much about my MPG, as I love hearing it roar .

After a few months of driving and heavy wheeling, I noticed this was happening

So I decided it was time to replace my CV axles. I decided to go with GSP Axles from Advance Auto Parts. They have a lifetime warranty, and less fins, so less rubbing. I might put on a Diff Drop somewhere down the road, we’ll see how these axles hold up. Thanks again to 45acp for the install help! You can see the replacement axles in these pictures again:

So, here’s some pictures of it all put together!

And some fun wheeling with 45acp:

And time for embarrassment:

Here’s a list of all my mods up-to-date:

Suspension:
-Bilstein 5100 Adjustable shocks in front
-ToyTec/Eibach Coilovers
-Bilstein 5150 10.5” travel rear shocks
-AllPro Expo Leaf Springs

Armor:
-TrailGear Rock Sliders

Drivetrain:
-GSP CV Axles

Brake system:
-AllPro (Crown) extended steel braded rear brake line
-B.A.M.F. BPV Relocate Bracket

Performance:
-Magnaflow 18” Muffler
-Deckplate Mod
-AFe Pro Dry S

Other:
-Craftsman Toolbox
-UltraGauge
-Plastidipped badges
-Painted skid plate
Old 12-28-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Well some updates...

I got my sliders welded on a couple months ago, in the Fall I guess:

Then I decided I needed a new Audio system to listen to Merle Haggard louder

Soon after came the deckplate mod and a AFe Pro Dry S

Was bored one day so I did the Grey Wire Mod

Then got an Ultragauge

Then I got a hitch, thanks to Blackdawg, 45acp installed it for me while I was at work (I need to find more friends like him)

Decided to change my spark plugs, but the previous owner apparently didn't use Dielectric grease when they changed them, so the wires pulled out on the boots. So I had to change the wires. $35 later I end up with this.

Soon to come:
Hi-Lift Jack
Bed Rack/Jack Mount?
265x75x16 Treadwright Guard Dogs, 16" Black Steelies for the Summer
Stud my Duratracs for the Winter
Old 12-28-2011, 03:37 PM   #3

Reserved 2
Old 12-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #4

I just have them in here for the winter, don't want to end up on my side again...

I'll take them out when the snow leaves... so like July here lol
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Will The Thrill
Warhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shedWarhorseforever is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
Warhorseforever's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice02sr5trd is just really nice

Name: Donnie
02sr5trd's Tacoma Gallery
Looks Amazing, good work!
Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM   #8

Thanks everyone
Old 12-28-2011, 05:32 PM   #10
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Love it man, looks like those leafs are the way i will go when the time comes!
Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
Thanks dude. Make sure to put some weight in the bed if you get them, they ain't necessarily "comfy" to drive with if you're bed's empty.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #12
TACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACOMABOSS is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Firefighter:
TACOMABOSS's Tacoma Gallery
nice build i like the "embarrassment" section. hahaha nice touch
Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #13
tacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaforlife is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robbie
tacomaforlife's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Tac0ma View Post
lol those springs need to have 4 to 500 pounds to sit 3" without the weight your gonna have 4" of lift and its gonna be a rough ride.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomaforlife View Post
lol those springs need to have 4 to 500 pounds to sit 3" without the weight your gonna have 4" of lift and its gonna be a rough ride.
With the sandbags in the bed it rides great. No complaints. But in the summer and fall I'll always have hunting/camping/climbing gear in the bed. It'll be fine.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 PM   #15
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
Sick truck! How much was the complete lift front and back? Looks like the set up I'm aiming for.
Old 12-28-2011, 08:49 PM   #16
Modified Glamper Extraordinaire
Digiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shedDigiratus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Location: Exploring the Pacific NW including ID, MT, WYO & CO
Digiratus's Tacoma Gallery
Amazing looking truck Jacob. You've done a really nice job with it. Looking forward to the 'next' mods.

I might have to pick up a couple of those GSP axles. They look really good. Mine leaked a little bit like yours but stopped. Still kinda worried about them. Are you plaaning to rebuild your stock axles and keep them as spares?
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacotrd647 View Post
Sick truck! How much was the complete lift front and back? Looks like the set up I'm aiming for.
Coilovers: $150
5100's: $200
Rear package: $550 (5150's, Expos, Brake line)
Tires: $640
Wheels: $450
Install: $20

So looks like... just over $2,000. Thanks for reminding me lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digiratus View Post
Amazing looking truck Jacob. You've done a really nice job with it. Looking forward to the 'next' mods.

I might have to pick up a couple of those GSP axles. They look really good. Mine leaked a little bit like yours but stopped. Still kinda worried about them. Are you plaaning to rebuild your stock axles and keep them as spares?
Thanks man. I might rebuild, but I currently just have one of my old ones (the one leaking the least amount) as a spare. It's not terrible, but I wouldn't want to drive on it all day. It'll work as a backup if I'm REALLY in trouble somewhere on the trail. Order them online from Advance Auto if you can. Loads of online discount codes (BIG50) that you can really save $ with.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:09 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by khegewald View Post
is the lettering on your tailgate black? I can't tell from the picture but looks sweet. Truck is clearly awesome. Amazing they made the body like new.
Yeah I PlastiDipped all the badges, it's in my post up there but you must not have seen it And thanks btw
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 PM   #19

Quote:
Oh. I didn't read it just looked. How hard is it to do that?
Wasn't too bad. I taped off the general area, then applied about 4 coats of it. I then used a very sharp razor blade to cut it around the badges. I probably did it the hard way, but it worked none the less.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Oh. I didn't read it just looked. How hard is it to do that?
BTW I dig the truck man. How did you get 5" of lift on that 4wd? Is it a body/suspension lift combo or something?