Notices

Project PETT (Reg Cab Hooptie)

Old 01-02-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
SandStorm is on a distinguished road
Marines:
SandStorm's Tacoma Gallery
Project PETT (Reg Cab Hooptie)

"PETT" = People for the Ethical Treatment of Toyotas

New to the site, stumbled onto it after some searching when I picked up another 1st gen Taco (after regrettably selling the first one a few years back). Here's a crappy picture before I get to the story:

Project PETT (Reg Cab Hooptie)-dsc02874.jpg

An acquaintance of mine had this '97 reg cab for sale for some months. It was his son's. It was beat to hell and I'm assuming this is why it didn't sell. Being the faithful Toyota pickup enthusiast I am, I picked it up from him in hopes that I can build it into my new DD rig. I know it needs a ton of work, mechanically and aesthetically, but am willing to put in the time, effort, and $$$. I want to give this thing a good home! A list of issues with it is in the works - and it's a long ass one. I'm hoping I can document all my work here, get some opinions, and keep my motivation up. I need to get out of my v8 GM SUV and back into something more enjoyable to drive.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:10 PM   #2
Marines:
My original budget for getting this thing on the road is $1,100. 5 years registration and title transfer brings me down to $1,000. I also forgot to mention some of the specifics:

1997 Tacoma 4x4
Regular Cab - Base Model
2nd Generation (Twin Coil Pack) 2.7L 3RZ-FE
W59 5 Speed Manual Trans
162xxx Miles

Most pertinent concerns for getting it on the road are as follows:

P/S Pump & Bracket Missing
Cracked Exhaust Manifold
Engine Oil Pan Leaking
Ghetto Rigged Intake
Ghetto Rigged and Leaking Flowmaster Muffler
Front Shocks Trashed
Interior Very Dirty
Ridiculous Hurst Shift Knob Installed on Trans
CV Boots Trashed
Want to replace all fluids & tune up…
Old 01-05-2012, 05:11 AM   #3
Marines:
After some research about getting a replacement P/S pump bracket, pulley, etc I decided my best chance would be the junkyard. I went by one of the local ones and found a 98 2wd ‘Runner with a 3RZ. Snagged the whole pump assy off it and got out the door at $65! I was stoked considering the just the core charge on this thing is around $100, not counting trying to find a bracket, reservoir, pulley, etc.

The only thing it didn’t have was a cap which I’m assuming someone else snagged before I got to it. Cleaned it up and there was minimal dirt/grime in the pump even though the cap was off and the sand blows pretty good in the wind here in Arizona. I stole the cap off my ’83 pickup project until I can get a new factory one.
Old 01-05-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
Taco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedTaco Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
Taco Dan's Tacoma Gallery
awesome thread. cant wait to see more pics!
Old 03-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
Confusion
Denim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud ofDenim Dan has much to be proud of

Name: Erick
Denim Dan's Tacoma Gallery
me and you are almost in the same boat lol.