Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

45acp’s DIVORCED build!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #1261
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Mark
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Hey jon I know its ubber last minute but I just thought of an idea. We (me, eric, another bud) are going to Harlan, KY this weekend to wheel. You should drive down and hitch along. Eric and I will both have an empty seat on the trails

EDIT: Thurs thu Sun
Old 10-16-2013, 10:23 AM   #1262
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
Keep up the good work. I've been divorced, it's not fun. I'm currently with a decent enough woman and have a friend's whose garage I may work in, but I still really want my own garage. In any case, your story is inspirational. It's important that YOU make YOUR own damn fudge sundae, even if that fudge sundae comes in the form of a truck. Make it to YOUR liking.
Exactly! Truck time is my therapy time. Well worth the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Hey jon I know its ubber last minute but I just thought of an idea. We (me, eric, another bud) are going to Harlan, KY this weekend to wheel. You should drive down and hitch along. Eric and I will both have an empty seat on the trails

EDIT: Thurs thu Sun
Wish I could, I'm scheduled for work this weekend though. I'll definitely have to come by sometime soon though.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #1263
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNwiTACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Saw your double shear steering in live...looks familiar
Old 10-16-2013, 10:38 AM   #1264
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
You're damn right, won't be the only thing I copy from your build haha
Old 10-16-2013, 04:44 PM   #1266

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
Is in live..and FB..but not here...
Happy now?

Made the tie rod/drag link setup with double shear using some 1/4" plate. I may add more plate where it meets the knuckle just because.

Finally got around to building a rolling cart for the 60 at ride height.

Waiting for some tabs to arrive so I can rebuild the link brackets and figure out where exactly I want the steering box and panhard.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #1267
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Was it 3 years ago that you've never even did an oil change?
Old 10-16-2013, 07:49 PM   #1268

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah 3 or 4. Something like that.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:53 AM   #1269
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Happy now?

Made the tie rod/drag link setup with double shear using some 1/4" plate. I may add more plate where it meets the knuckle just because.

Finally got around to building a rolling cart for the 60 at ride height.

Waiting for some tabs to arrive so I can rebuild the link brackets and figure out where exactly I want the steering box and panhard.
Definitely reinforce that double shear plate at the knuckle. 1/4" is kinda thin. I laminated and plug welded two pieces of 3/16" together for mine.

That cart is a good idea. It looks like you have an angle finder on the axle to "set" caster...just FYI these axles (1978-79 Ford D60) like about 7° at ride height, but knuckles lean back not forward like yours is sitting.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:16 AM   #1270

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Thought it was positive caster that they run with? Or is that just dodge/chevy axles?

I was trying to get the pinion pointed at the tcase unless that only matters with the rear axle.
Old 10-17-2013, 06:42 AM   #1271
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thought it was positive caster that they run with? Or is that just dodge/chevy axles?

I was trying to get the pinion pointed at the tcase unless that only matters with the rear axle.
Leaning back is positive caster. Only way that pinion is going to point at the case is if you rotate the C's.

Think about it this way, when that axle was in the stock truck, imagine the suspension. With minimal travel, the pinion was basically designed to lay horizontal so the front driveshaft ran at a neutral angle, travelling both up and down, but at ride height was optimal (neutral).

With the pinion horizontal, the knuckles are just about at 7°
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 AM   #1272
Redneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRedneck92 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Redneck92's Tacoma Gallery
You can run the pinion horizontal if you use a two ujoint shaft rather than a double cardon joint.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:24 AM   #1273
Big tars, little/no bed.
NwiTACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redneck92 View Post
You can run the pinion horizontal if you use a two ujoint shaft rather than a double cardon joint.
^^^Ignore this. No he can't. The u-joints in the driveshaft don't have enough articulation.

You can run the axle the way it is with the proper caster (pinion will be close to horizontal), but you need a double-cardan for the travel you are shooting for.

Remember the front driveshaft isn't spinning unless you are in 4wd and the front hubs are locked in. The pinion does not have to point directly at the output flange in all circumstances. To have the best vibe free conditions it should, but you need the alignment numbers to be correct, since you will be driving in 2wd (at any speeds) ALOT more than 4wd at 70 mph with the front shaft spinning.

In an ideal world, the C's would be rotated to the correct caster when the pinion is directly pointed at the tcase flange. But that's a TON of work that's not necessary, at all.
Old 10-17-2013, 07:26 AM   #1274
The Man!
JLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jerry
JLee's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NwiTACO View Post
Leaning back is positive caster. Only way that pinion is going to point at the case is if you rotate the C's.

Think about it this way, when that axle was in the stock truck, imagine the suspension. With minimal travel, the pinion was basically designed to lay horizontal so the front driveshaft ran at a neutral angle, travelling both up and down, but at ride height was optimal (neutral).

With the pinion horizontal, the knuckles are just about at 7°
X2 ^ that way that axle is setting you would be all over the road

Quote:
Double ended double cardon joint
Old 10-17-2013, 10:02 AM   #1275
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This guy knows whats up. If your outputs are parallel to each other, you run 2 u joints. If your pinion is pointing at the transfer case, you run a CV at the transfer case and a single u joint at the axle.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #1276

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I guess I had the positive/negative caster thing backward in my head.

From what I can tell, the Cs are rotated 10 degrees from the pinion angle so that leaves about 2-3 up on the pinion with the caster ~7. At ride height it doesn't seems too bad though. I'm hoping to have the drive train mount completed today so I can get a better idea of what's going on in regards to the drive shaft angles.

I got the basic gist of the rules for single vs. double cardan. Would it just make life easier if I did a double cardan for both ends of the front drive shaft? Only thing I don't like about it is I'm sure it would be pretty pricey and reduce the flexibility/availability of spare parts.
Old 10-17-2013, 02:40 PM   #1277
WUT?
thegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant futurethegame has a brilliant future

thegame's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I got the basic gist of the rules for single vs. double cardan. Would it just make life easier if I did a double cardan for both ends of the front drive shaft? Only thing I don't like about it is I'm sure it would be pretty pricey and reduce the flexibility/availability of spare parts.
I would throw a driveshaft in with a single u joint on either end and call it good. You're over complicating things and like someone else said, you won't ever be driving fast in 4wd.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:48 PM   #1279

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Finished the tranny crossmember. Kinda different... I hope it f*^%ing works.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #1280
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
I bet your truck ends up weighing more than Frank.

Products Discussed in this Thread