Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

45acpís DIVORCED build!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM   #1701
PantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedPantherTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Luke
PantherTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
If you thought I couldn't possibly cut anymore sheet metal off of the truck, think again.

DSC07872 by wyo_taco45, on Flickr

DSC07873 by wyo_taco45, on Flickr

Prepping for cage work and new firewall.
What is left of said truck?
Old 01-10-2014, 11:23 AM   #1702
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcatTaco View Post
What is left of said truck?
Part of the cab
Part of the bed
Part of the frame
Part of the dashboard
Head lights/tail lights
Engine
Tranny
Tcase
Part of the drive shafts
Some windows...
Old 01-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #1703
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Seriously, at this point you should have just sold the truck and built yourself a rock crawling buggy thingamabob.
Old 01-10-2014, 11:32 AM   #1704
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah plans/priorities kept changing. I realized a few months ago I could've sold the truck and bought a cab for $500 and start from there. Live and learn?
Old 01-10-2014, 12:20 PM   #1705
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Yeah plans/priorities kept changing. I realized a few months ago I could've sold the truck and bought a cab for $500 and start from there. Live and learn?
Like we talked about though... at least this beast will still have the soul/essence of your original truck
Old 01-10-2014, 12:38 PM   #1706
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
going for the weight saving mods... smart thinking since that tube will be heavy
Old 01-10-2014, 02:34 PM   #1707
Little Taco that could
99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed99yodataco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 11B <-Grunt.
Name: Chad
99yodataco's Tacoma Gallery
Carbon fiber panels?
Old 01-10-2014, 04:01 PM   #1708
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
If you thought I couldn't possibly cut anymore sheet metal off of the truck, think again.

DSC07872 by wyo_taco45, on Flickr

Prepping for cage work and new firewall.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 PM   #1710

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supra TT View Post
It'll turn out nice. I promise. Need to get a 2" die for the bender and some of those pipemaster contour gauges it then I'll get to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
and how do you plan on mounting your entire dash and steering and all of that shit without any shred of a fire wall? weld back in yours or build a new one
The dash itself really only mounts to the A pillars and right along the cowling, along with a tube across the A pillars

Old 01-11-2014, 07:45 AM   #1712

I showed my daughter the most recent pic of your truck. Even she said, "what the heck is he doing?"

I merely replied, "just let him be..."
Old 01-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #1713

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
I should just rename it "45acp's ADD build"
Old 01-11-2014, 08:10 AM   #1715

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Actually... I was thinking of picking one up sooner rather than later. Too paranoid about f&*^ing up the welds on the cage with mig, I found this on Amazon with decent reviews there and also on dedicated welding forums.

http://www.amazon.com/CT520d-Lotos-A...+plasma+cutter
Old 01-11-2014, 08:29 AM   #1717

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I'd practice beforehand. Won't be too hard to weld the cage since I have no floor.
Old 01-11-2014, 12:17 PM   #1718
Solid Axle FTMFW!!
Supra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shedSupra TT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Supra TT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Actually... I was thinking of picking one up sooner rather than later. Too paranoid about f&*^ing up the welds on the cage with mig, I found this on Amazon with decent reviews there and also on dedicated welding forums.

http://www.amazon.com/CT520d-Lotos-A...+plasma+cutter
Why not get the same plasma cutter as Mark? I think that guy works really well for what it is. And I think he paid $300 shipped or so...
Old 01-11-2014, 12:26 PM   #1719
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Just some honest advice.

To tig weld that entire cage will take at least 3 or 4 times as long as the mig and really give no benefit (other than beautiful looking welds). You have to wire brush ALL the slag off the steel inside and out and clean each joint with acetone or you'll get porosity.
Also fitment has to be pretty much perfect with the tig. With mig you can get away with a decent gap if you screw up a notch.

And above all you're already good at mig, the cage will come out fine.
Old 01-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #1720
‹ber Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
Just some honest advice.

To tig weld that entire cage will take at least 3 or 4 times as long as the mig and really give no benefit (other than beautiful looking welds). You have to wire brush ALL the slag off the steel inside and out and clean each joint with acetone or you'll get porosity.
Also fitment has to be pretty much perfect with the tig. With mig you can get away with a decent gap if you screw up a notch.

And above all you're already good at mig, the cage will come out fine.
x2

Products Discussed in this Thread