Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

45acp’s DIVORCED build!

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-15-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
As it sits currently

The vast majority of the mods were completed pretty much immediately after the divorce in March 2011. The truck was and still is my way of channeling the high levels of stress from dealing with her into something productive and fun for me.

So this build is dedicated to you, Megan. Thank you very much.

------------------------------------------------------------------

The day I brought it home in September 2009. I bought it because I wanted something not only reliable for my 90 mile one way commute to work in Torrington, but tough enough to handle the potentially harsh winter conditions seemingly in the middle of Nowhere, Wyoming because my ex insisted on living in Cheyenne since there was more shopping there. I have my uncle (was and still is the original owner of a '95.5) to thank for steering me towards these wonderful machines.

First thing I did with it was learn how to drive stick/manual and less than a month later, drove it from Kentucky to Colorado. I debadged it while I was there, removed the plastic bed liner and took to the mountains.

January 2010, having no money and dying to do anything to the truck, I focused on cheap mods so I sanded/scuffed the chrome and color matched the grill with some paint I picked up from Napa and also painted both front and back bumpers.

I also removed the crappy window tint.

May 2010 there was a windstorm that pitted the paint and windshield all to hell, insurance covered it and I opted to replace my bald tires with some used BFG All-terrain TA/KOs and installed a 3” OME lift kit I picked up from Toytec. My ex made the rest of the money from the damage disappear faster than congress. I also removed the sway bar at this point.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPVyiZ3lwX0

The taco remained unchanged for almost a year until a week after the divorce. A coworker backed her truck into mine, dented the bed and took out the shitty euro tail light the PO had installed.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Turned around and immediately bought a set of 5 Wheeler’s Offroad 15x8 Type B wheels and 33x12.50x15 KM2s!

Some before & after pics…

Soon after that I picked up a Craftsman toolbox off a buddy’s S-10 (it was free!) and refinished it. Also installed a CBI tire carrier and did the deck plate mod.

Found out there was a recall on my truck for the lower ball joints so I wasted no time getting it to a dealer for some free ball joints and an alignment.

In May 2011 right before heading down to Greeley, CO for some goodies from Addicted Offroad.

While in Greeley, I had an Addicted Offroad bumper and Trail-Gear sliders installed, and a Trail-Gear Hi-Lift mount welded to the CBI tire carrier. Scotty does fantastic work!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsk_uwSyhzM
Old 01-15-2012, 05:39 PM   #3

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Over the next two months I had several other mods completed.
My brake pads were shot, so I picked up some new ones from Wheeler’s Offroad and decided to get some drilled/slotted rotors while I was at it.

I relocated the rear diff breather. SO easy.

Installed a Uniden 510. PERFECT fit in the ashtray location.

And Budbuilts!

I bent the belly pan on my first trail run with them. Belly pan definitely needs to be reinforced before any serious wheeling.
The front skid holds up great though.

Sustained some hail damage so I replaced the windshield. The hail hit hard enough that it cracked the paint on the hood. Between the hail and wind damage, I figured it was time to refinish the hood, but expecting it to happen again… I decided to herculine it FTW.

I then installed a Smittybilt XRC8 winch with a 5/16” synthetic line from Viking Offroad. (Best pic I have, sorry.)

I decided to get a Trail-Gear rear bumper next. I didn’t want the license plate to get caught on anything, so I relocated it to the tailgate with some LEDs. I bought the LEDs off Amazon without realizing they were for motorcycle plates but I modified it to make it work.

Picked up the Trail-Gear rear bumper from Addicted Offroad.

Installed a Tomtom OneXL

Had an 18” Magnaflow installed and dumped before the axle. The exhaust was too close to the axle and actually melted the ABS wiring. I got the wiring replaced and the Magnaflow relocated closer to the cab and dumped straight to the ground. The video was made right after it was installed, it actually sounds better after being relocated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POQy3FdtCGg

Got JLee’s BAMF BPV bracket installed.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:41 PM   #4

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Did some snow wheeling with pyroskier and he got us both stuck.

SAR got us off the mountain that night, we came back the next day with a guy that brought a snowcat all the way from Cheyenne for us.

Some random shots…

With my uncle’s ‘95.5 (original owner!) The guy that convinced me to get a Tacoma in the first place.

With WYOTAC

Got a lot of plans for it in the near future!

35x12.50x15 Wrangler MT/R Kevlars
Tub the firewall
Glassworks fiberglass front fenders w/Bushwacker rear fenders(?)
Regear to 5.29s and with luck, an ARB locker
Bobbed bed
Fabricate custom rear bumper
Relocate rear shocks and replace OMEs with Bilstien 5125s
Old 01-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #5

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
Great build!!
Thanks man, lots more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
so finally the story behind the black hood comes out
Haha yeah, I figured I'd be wasting money to repaint it if the hood is just gonna most likely get damaged again.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:55 PM   #7
What do you mean I can't go up there...Watch this!
Jonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJonyd182 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jonyd182's Tacoma Gallery
Its about time you did a build ....One of my favorites.

Keep up the good work.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:56 PM   #8

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks guys. Yeah this is my DD.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:21 PM   #9

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcqueen280 View Post
sweet thing to roll up to the office in.
I'm currently working at a daycare/preschool, so yeah it stands out haha
Old 01-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #10
Bo 159 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
Bo 159's Tacoma Gallery
sweet truck im diggin that front bumper, looks good. how do you plan on fitting the 35s in the future? a body lift or a hell of a lot of trimming?
Old 01-15-2012, 07:49 PM   #11

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
There would be a helluva lot of trimming so I'm probably gonna end up with some fiberglass fenders so I can trim a lot and still keep the tires under the fenders (temporarily moving to WI, where it's required) and I'm going to tub the firewall. That should work I hope!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:02 PM   #12
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
Love it man, especially that front bumper
cant wait to see the "future mods"
Old 01-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #14
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
Did some snow wheeling with pyroskier and he got us both stuck.
Oh sure... ...Maybe if someones winch wouldn't have broke, we could have gotten out... . I like how we both put this event in our build threads... Haha.

Glad you finally got one of these going, I was going to ask.

Oh, and you forgot to mention the mod you did by giving me your toolbox
Old 01-15-2012, 09:45 PM   #15
Lest We Forget
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Titties.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #16

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcharias View Post
You switch between tires, don't you?
I suppose I do. I'm running stock size Bridgestone Blizzaks as a dedicated winter set. I like to try out different tires for the 'experience'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyroskier View Post
Oh sure... ...Maybe if someones winch wouldn't have broke, we could have gotten out... . I like how we both put this event in our build threads... Haha.

Glad you finally got one of these going, I was going to ask.

Oh, and you forgot to mention the mod you did by giving me your toolbox
I was wondering when you'd show up and point that out haha!

I think there's a few things I forgot to mention... like the AFE filter and the 1 1/4" greaseable lift shackles.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM   #17
sander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsander1036 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
sander1036's Tacoma Gallery
Old 01-15-2012, 09:53 PM   #18
A country boy can survive
pyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shedpyroskier is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jacob
pyroskier's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I suppose I do. I'm running stock size Bridgestone Blizzaks as a dedicated winter set. I like to try out different tires for the 'experience'.

I was wondering when you'd show up and point that out haha!

I think there's a few things I forgot to mention... like the AFE filter and the 1 1/4" greaseable lift shackles.
I could post a quote of the text message you sent me at 11 pm that night saying you can't get your new shackles in and your old ones were damaged beyond repair, and you were stranded in another town
Old 01-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #19

45acp's Tacoma Gallery
lmao... how could I forget I was ready to start freaking out because I had to be back for class in the morning.

12 friggin hours to get them on and as soon as I start greasing them a zerk breaks off.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #20
Bo 159 is on a distinguished road

Name: Bo
Bo 159's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
There would be a helluva lot of trimming so I'm probably gonna end up with some fiberglass fenders so I can trim a lot and still keep the tires under the fenders (temporarily moving to WI, where it's required) and I'm going to tub the firewall. That should work I hope!
well hopefully it works!! those are some big ass tires haha. definitely gonna have to tub the firewalls. ever think of the body lift? im sure it would help

Products Discussed in this Thread