Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Possible Tacoma project?

Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM   #1
cdyblnd is on a distinguished road
Name: Cody
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
Possible Tacoma project?

Hey everyone, I've got a stock 2001 Tacoma 2.7L 5 speed. I'd really like to make some modifications but I can't quite decide where I want to start with it. Can anyone with a little more experience shoot me some ideas of a good place to begin?
Old 01-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Konaborne's Tacoma Gallery
check out the suspension sections, and the easy mods.

aesthetics (decals, blacking out emblems, new lights) are always a good place to start. that gives you time to do some research into suspension mods as well
Old 02-01-2012, 10:17 AM   #3
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
Suspension was kind of one of my ideas. I wanna get it up enough to clear 33s. What brand of lift would you reccomend?
Old 02-01-2012, 12:25 PM   #4
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
Not so much brand... Alot of brands are good. Depends on your preference.

You pay for quality you're going to get quality. What you need to stay away from are body lifts and spacer lifts. You're better off saving for an actual suspension lift. Check out ToyTecLifts.com Also, does your truck have 5 lugs on the wheels or 6?

Welcome to the forums!

Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 PM   #5
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
It's got a 6 lug. I know what I wanna do about wheels and tires, and I pretty much had my mind set on a suspension lift. I just don't know which brand I should try to get or if there was anything I should stay away from.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Eric
97yota4wd's Tacoma Gallery
like asid above stay away from body lifts and spacers.

in order to fit 33s on a 3 inch lift you will need to trim the wheel well so you dont rub. are you comfortable with that?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
Konaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonaborne is one of the sharper tools in the shed

as far as lifts ,you gotta decide what your budget is-

good suspension lifts range anywhere from a $400 to 5000, whats your budget OP?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #8
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda figured between a lift, wheels, and tires I'd be spending around $3,000.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Team 4Runner
wesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shedwesrunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Wes
wesrunner's Tacoma Gallery
That's a pretty good budget!
Old 02-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #10
Banned
97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed97yota4wd is one of the sharper tools in the shed
thats a pretty good budget.

wheels and tires.... 1300
bilstein 5100s and eibach coils 250 (i think)
add a leaf 80
thats like the cheapest for a true 3 inch lift. or you can get a little more expensive by adding upper control arms and rear bilstein shocks for a little less than a grand i believe. or you get get into more expensive shocks too
Old 02-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
My dad sells tires and wheels so I can get them at cost, I just wanted to get the suspension done right and then start thinking about a few other things with my truck.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:39 PM   #12
Banned
well what are you planning on doing with your truck? theres different setups for different things, like crawling, hauling ass, or a mixture of both.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:43 PM   #14
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
It'll probably see some mud and trails, the truck doesn't haul ass as it is being stock on 31s.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 PM   #15

take a look at a OME 3" set from wheelers or toytec's ultimate lift kit (both are sold as complete lift kits, saves you the headache of parting the lift if you have the $$)
Old 02-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #16
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyblnd View Post
It'll probably see some mud and trails, the truck doesn't haul ass as it is being stock on 31s.

okay but what do you want the truck to be capable of doing?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #17
Banned
going to 33s in a 4 banger will kill all your power and you will be in close to single digit mpgs. you think about re gearing?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #18
cdyblnd's Tacoma Gallery
I kinda figured it would, that's why I wanna plan all of this out before I start buying parts. I've even thought about just doing a small lift to clear a set of 265/75/16 mud tires just to get a more aggressive look. I'm not gonna start shelling out on money on a bad idea.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Why is this in the build section?
Old 02-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdyblnd View Post
I kinda figured it would, that's why I wanna plan all of this out before I start buying parts. I've even thought about just doing a small lift to clear a set of 265/75/16 mud tires just to get a more aggressive look. I'm not gonna start shelling out on money on a bad idea.
you can fit those stock

if you have money, you can grab adjustable coilovers and have them set at anywhere from 0-3" of lift. if you dont crank em all the way up you'll have a lift with a much better ride than stock