Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

02 Double Cab Build

Old 03-13-2012, 03:21 AM   #1
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
whitetoblack's Tacoma Gallery
02 Long Travel Double Cab Build

Current picture as of 6/15

http://youtu.be/6thim3EY9Dg

http://youtu.be/Ne3OaeG1h-M

http://youtu.be/g3Oufhv3Q0s

http://youtu.be/pPR27HfoC6c

Modifications:

Cosmetic:
Fiberwerx 1 Piece 2nd Gen Conversion Clip
Glassworks 6" Bedsides w/LED taillights
Front and Rear tube bumpers
3 LED Rear Light Box
Vinyl Flooring
180W LED Light Bar
240W LED Roof Bar
Snugtop Camper Shell

Front Suspension: Bumped/Strapped 16" travel
Custom 6.5 over kit built by Johnny Branch
2.5x10" King Dual Rate Coilovers
2.0x2.5" King Hydraulic Bump Stops
Upper arm gussets
Plated coil bucket and frame
Plated and tubed shock hoops with Engine Cage
Solid mounted Lower Arms/Heimed Upper Arms
Solid Motor Mounts
Solid/Boxed Transmission Mount

Rear Suspension: Bumped/Strapped 18.5" of travel
Giant 64" Link Killer Kit
King 2.5"x16" Triple Bypasses
Tundra Axle
Frame Plating
All fabrication done by EJV Fab

Stereo:
Jensen 7" head unit
Alpine Type R door speakers
600 watt Alpine 4 channel amp
Alpine Type R 10" Sub
1500 wattt Alpine monochannel amp

Wheels and Tires:
MB Motorsports Machined Aluminum Rims 17"x9"
Toyo Open Country MT 35"x12.5"

Next purchases:
Internal Roll Cage

Well been on this site for a while now never thought to do a build thread but here it goes. The truck has changed tremendously since I bought it, for better or worse depending on your style. Bought it back in April 2009 with 105k miles on the v6. Had a Fabtech lift kit with the coils cranked all the way, add a leaf in the rear, 17" Helo rims, 33x12.5 Durango Radial XTRs, Jensen Head Unit, and a blown stock sound system. Heres how she looked the day i got her.

First off, the blown speakers were a critical part to replace. Instead of replacing them with new stock components, i decided to go with alpine Type R door speakers, a 4 channel 600 watt amp for the speakers, a 10 inch Alpine Type R Sub with a 1000 watt amp to power it. Ended up spending just under $1000 and was very happy with the way it works, very loud and extremely clear and crisp sound. I personally wasnt a big fan of the Helo rims and Durango tires, so I posted them for trade and traded straight across for a set of 15" Pro Comp Streetlocks and 31x10.5 BFG All Terrains.

After throwing on the wheels and tires, i realized the 31s were not big enough. So, when they wore down after a few months, I bought a set of 33x10.5 All Terrains.

As i started to run my truck more and more in the dirt, I realized that I was becoming more concerned with how well my truck rode. The first thing i did was swap out the Fabtech's with some Icon Coilovers and I was extremely satisfied with the improvement. The truck sat about and inch and a half lower but the ride was improved 100x.

Next step was trying to get the rear up to speed. I picked up a set of Deaver j59s from a friend of mine. Even before swapping out shocks, I had already noticed another night and day difference in ride quality. At that point, another friend of mine was selling a set of 2.5x8" King Smooth Bodies with Remote Resi's for a price I could not turn down. I bought them and installed them with my Deavers.

I was extremely satisfied with the ride quality on and offroad. At that point, I began piecing different things together that I thought added to the looks as well as improving different aspects of the truck. A friend of mine had been building bumpers for a number of people so I decided to have him build me a rear bumper. I was extremely satisfied with the results...

At around the same time, I picked up a Defiant Light Bar and 2 ProComp 9" lights...

Ran it like this for quite a while and was extremely happy. Then, as I continued to run it harder and harder, I lost control in the dirt on my nearly bald BFG's and crashed. The damage was pretty bad but was limited to a dented hood, mangled bumper and light bar, broken grill, and dented core support...

After that incident, I realized it was definitely time for new tires. Luckily, General had just released the Grabber Red Labels a couple weeks before and I picked up a set for an incredible deal.

At this point, after taking my truck to the desert a number of times with it's current set up but not being able to keep up with all my friends rangers and such, I began saving for a new front end. While I was saving, I came across a set of brand new Glassworks Fenders for only $125 so I jumped at the deal and picked them up...

Also picked up a dust light in the meantime...

Decided to try a slightly different look that I had not seen before so i painted the rear fender flares white. I liked the way it turned out so they are staying that way for a while...

After months of driving with a busted core support and hood, I finally saved up enough coin to get it all fixed. And now, this is how she sits...in my garage ready to get a full makeover.

Picked up a long travel kit used on dezertrangers and some 2.5x10" Kings from a friend the real build begins.

Added a couple more gussets to the coilbucket and shock mounts. Still gotta do a little more plating and run the tubes to the frame and over the engine.

Bumper Started as well as resi’s mounted

Bumper finished

Mounted my license plate and light on a hinge to reveal the tow hitch easily

Picked up some glassworks bedsides with the taillights section filled in ready for oval LEDs.

Plated the backside of the shock tower and put a removable hoop over the motor.

To be continued.....
Old 03-13-2012, 12:32 PM   #3
Roll Tide!
travis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtravis9287 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis
travis9287's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to travis9287
Looks good man!
Old 03-13-2012, 01:17 PM   #4
Cheyenne Trail Crew
AlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlphaEcho2k5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: 37th Helicopter Squadron
Name: Adam
AlphaEcho2k5's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome Runner!
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #5
Bash Fabriction & Off-Road
01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed01Tac0ma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
01Tac0ma's Tacoma Gallery
I like it! Nice job...what do you plan on doing for the front bumper?
Old 03-13-2012, 06:44 PM   #7
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
What size are the grabbers? Sick truck!!
Old 03-13-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
whitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitetoblack is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Picked up some vinyl flooring to replace the old shitty stock carpet.

Next I got some 17x9 machined aluminum wheels to clear the Tundra axle along with some 35x12.5 Grabber SCTs.

Threw a 32” LED light bar on the bumper.

Installed some 2.0x2.5" stroke King Bump Stops

Picked up Giant 64" Kit.

Before

After

Bump

Extra Pics and gussets

Next was the bedcage

Took the truck out for its shakedown run and it works awesome! Had a few expected issues but nothing with the suspension or fab work.

Ran it through a pretty rough section of the race course and it floated awesome over some 3-4 foot whoops and a couple heavy g-outs. Started hearing a clunk up front so we stopped and looked. One of the light bar bolts had shaken out and caused the bar to bounce and shear off the aluminum mounting bracket. The light itself was in good shape still so we yanked it off and pulled the corner lights out and continued on.

Got a bunch more runs in and pulled off to check the bolts and everything was working great. The truck pulls through the whoops awesome without shuffling side to side at all.

After that we made our way back towards the highway and hit the race course once again. It did awesome in the trenches with the ground clearance of the 35s. Through it up on a rock to check the shock clearance and it has no rubs whatsoever. After running it hard through the biggest stuff out there, we did a final check and found the stock steering rack bushings had blown out. Also, as expected the alignment cams had been knocked out of whack because they were not tacked. On top of that the driver side motor mount is blown.

All in all it was an awesome shakedown. The frame did not flex like it used to and everything felt sturdy. Did not touch bump once in the rear!

First thing I did when I got back was install poly bushings on the steering rack. It is an upgrade I would recommend to everyone. It made my steering feel a lot tighter and noticeably more responsive.

Next step was to heim the upper arms to get rid of the weak stock alignment cams.

The final step in addressing all the issues from the shakedown was solid motor mounts and boxed frame perches.

Old motor mount

New motor mounts

Now that it is completely done suspension wise, I have just been driving the heck out of it and enjoying all of the time, cash, and hard work I have put into it.

As mostof you know, it is never really over. At the moment I am saving for the cage and that will most likely be the last step for a long time. Stay tuned

In the mean time before the cage, we figured might as well put the one piece conversion on. My friend said he wanted to try and mount it all to a sub-frame so that it could swing up and not have to come off everytime I need to do anything under the hood. Here is what he came up with. Extremely impressed with how it turned out considering he had never done this before!

Old 03-13-2012, 11:00 PM   #10

Also picked up a mint condition Snugtop Camper Shell

Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 PM   #11

Old 03-14-2012, 09:56 PM   #13

Calipers are not on and the tire is not even fully mounted just two bolts to hold it on. Just trying to get a rough estimate of width. Need to trade the 8s I have for 10s also.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:25 AM   #15

Still deciding exactly what I want to do but a Tundra axle for sure along with either 62s or possibly a 64 kit with the wider axle. Still deciding. Looks like im gonna be pulling 16" strapped with the front kit so I still gotta choose. Planning on caging it later this year also so might as well go all out. Still a pretty slow step by step process though haha
Old 03-19-2012, 10:12 PM   #16

No goin back now haha

Mocked up the 8 just to make sure I need 10s and sure enough it wouldn't cycle the full 16 where the tab is on the arm. So I am still looking for 10s. Plus I want to be able to run dual rates so it will work out well
Old 03-19-2012, 10:31 PM   #17
caffeine nicotine gasoline
livel0veryde is on a distinguished road

Name: josh Rockett
livel0veryde's Tacoma Gallery
very nice. truck looks sweet man.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #18

Trucks coming along should be done this weekend. Scored some brand new kings from my buddy yesterday for $600! Got the coilbuckets done, upper arm gussets cut and being welded in tonight as well as the shock hoops. Gotta hand it to my buddies doin all the fab work its coming out even better than I could have expected. Here's a couple pics. Need to pick up that tundra axle quick cuz she sits wiiiide. Also possibly switching to the 2nd gen fiberglass front clip.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #19

Got the shock tower up and welded in. Now all it needs is a couple more gussets to the coilbucket and upper mounts, bracing on the sides of the shock tower, resi mounts, and the engine hoop. Also bumper will get started Monday. Plus I still gotta find some top springs for the coilovers.

Got some pretty cool ideas for the rear suspension and fiberglass that I haven't seen done before so I will continue to update.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:29 PM   #20
Resident "dude"
tacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacotrd647 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Caleb
tacotrd647's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit, you weren't kidding! That fucker is wiiiiide! Sick build dude, what kit is that on the front?

Fab work looks amazing..looking forward to more progress!