Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Slodgetto's Green Dragon 4x4 Conversion Build

Old 04-13-2012, 05:10 PM   #41
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
well a large vertical band saw would be pretty awesome, or a torch/plasma cutter.

The grinder would be my choice if you don't have access to those tools though.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #42
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve o 77 View Post
well a large vertical band saw would be pretty awesome, or a torch/plasma cutter.

The grinder would be my choice if you don't have access to those tools though.
Yeah, a vertical band saw would be sweet! I'll give the grinder a go then.... Maybe I can just switch between the circular saw and grinder every couple inches to let them cool off.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:49 PM   #43
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Yeah, a vertical band saw would be sweet! I'll give the grinder a go then.... Maybe I can just switch between the circular saw and grinder every couple inches to let them cool off.
Throw it in the bed and come down here, our machine shop has a vertical band saw

Might go through a few blades though
Old 04-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #44
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

lol This seems to be working ok... Off to the store to get more ginder wheels though. hahaha just past the halfway point...
Old 04-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #45
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Dremel. I suggest the 1" cutter.
Old 04-15-2012, 10:45 PM   #46
braaap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appljaxx View Post
Dremel. I suggest the 1" cutter.
lol I was about to suggest a hack saw but that sounds better.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:27 PM   #47
Über Posre

Started welding last night... Just some teaser pics:

Old 04-21-2012, 07:31 AM   #48
He said "Member," ahuh huh
Appljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shedAppljaxx is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeremy
Appljaxx's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good. You are an inspiration to us all
Old 04-21-2012, 08:12 AM   #49
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
So how much does that sucker weigh?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #50
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appljaxx View Post
Looks good. You are an inspiration to us all
Thanks, Jeremy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45acp View Post
So how much does that sucker weigh?
lol I haven't weighed it.... I'll have to figure it out when it's all finished up
Old 04-23-2012, 11:03 AM   #51
Neighborhood Know-it-all
Box Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shedBox Rocket is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Adam
Box Rocket's Tacoma Gallery
Skid is looking good. Nice work.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:48 PM   #52
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Box Rocket View Post
Skid is looking good. Nice work.
Hey thanks, man! You were definately my inspiration. I never would have thought to used the whiskey bends....
Old 04-25-2012, 11:00 PM   #53
Über Posre

Ordered the Trail Gear Front bumper. Humongoginarmomassive stinger here I come! Should be here in a week or so... lol

Heres the picture that sold me on their bumper with the stinger. This and my headache rack will give me a bit more piece of mind in case of rollover at Moab.

Also, started regearing my rear diff with Nitro 5.29s and solid collar. Got all the old stuff a pressed out and new bearings/races pressed in with only destroying 2 old bearings and 1 oil retainer... I think I've got a good strong pinion preload at 19 in/lbs (slightly over spec) after about 6 tries.... Next step is to get the right backlash/carrier bearing preload set and then run some contact patterns to make sure my pinion depth is ok. With my luck, It'll probably take like 10 tries before I get a good pattern.

Here's the old stuff just before I ran some measurements and took it apart. Carrier and pinion total preload was only at 3in/lb rolling torque!!! :O Backlash was ok at an avg. 9 thou and the contact pattern didn't look bad at all...
Old 04-26-2012, 12:58 AM   #55
Über Posre

maybe, but I was mostly looking at how well the bumper held up! here's the story:

Quote:
Customer Comments
Thought you might like to see how well your bumper worked on my 83. The entire truck was resting on the bumper and flatbed. No damage to the roof or cab. Only minimal damage to the bumper with a couple of small dents near the drivers side headlight. Damage to the hood, fender, underbody, flatbed, toolbox, steering column shaft etc.
The synthetic winch line snapped like a piece of string trying to recover it. That stinger saved me and my buddy and minimized the damage to the truck. Thank you for putting out some seriously strong products! FYI, the front spring setup, dual stick, sliders, and more stuff than I can remember that I got from you guys helped me build this truck. Now if I can only find a headlight door for the crushed drivers side, I will be able to get back on the road.
The truck sat like this for about ten hours before we rotated it back onto it's wheels, the entire truck was on the bumper during this maneuver. It started first try and drove from San Antonio to Austin no problem!
Scott Gaskill - Buda, TX
Old 04-26-2012, 01:06 AM   #56
Über Posre

I know it won't even come close to the protection a cage would offer, but it's a little piece of mind for me..... at least that's why I chose thise one over the one with no stinger.
Old 04-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #57
Über Posre

I've been working on re-gearing my rear diff for the past few days and I think I've finally gotten a pattern that I can accept. Any opinions? Backlash is perfect at an avg. of .006". The pinion was way to shallow on my first attempt, so I added .010" worth of shims and got this. At first I thought it is a tad deep, but I'd rather er on the side of too deep than too shallow. Also apears to be favoring the toe a bit on the drive side wich ZUK said is desirable for larger tires, so that is a plus. Thanks for any input!

I think it's finally time to slap her in.

Old 04-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #58
04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed04LTtacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
04LTtacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you get the 6" shackles?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #59
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04LTtacoma View Post
Where did you get the 6" shackles?
I actually got them used from a member on here. He said he got them from a kit from a company called "Outlaw". Neither of us could find the kit online though, so it remains a bit of a mystery.

I'll actually be selling them when I put on my chebee leaf springs here in a month or two.... You interested? haha
Old 04-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #60
Cloudy-fabricator of things
Whitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shedWhitecloud is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Johnathan
Whitecloud's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
I've been working on re-gearing my rear diff for the past few days and I think I've finally gotten a pattern that I can accept. Any opinions? Backlash is perfect at an avg. of .006". The pinion was way to shallow on my first attempt, so I added .010" worth of shims and got this. At first I thought it is a tad deep, but I'd rather er on the side of too deep than too shallow. Also apears to be favoring the toe a bit on the drive side wich ZUK said is desirable for larger tires, so that is a plus. Thanks for any input!

I think it's finally time to slap her in.

That is pretty close to what my pattern looked like front and rear. Pop em in and have fun. You do the front yet?