Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Slodgetto's Green Dragon 4x4 Conversion Build

Old 04-18-2013, 03:19 PM   #1541
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah I have thought about sc, but don't think I will ever do that. For the cost I think I would benefit from the 4wd more
Old 04-18-2013, 03:21 PM   #1542
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

Name: jesus
jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slodgetto View Post
Pretty much! Only difference for your 02 is the tranny. I think you have the A340F. And I'm pretty sure only 03's and up have the fly-by-wire speedo sensor, so you should be good there... The reason you see most of the parts I used out of pre 01 trucks, is because I went with manual hubs (which only came on 95-00 tacos) and because most of the junkyards in my area rarely get tacomas, and when they do, the tacos are usually older.

4x4 LT, eh?
Ok so my question which I'm hopping som can answer is.... if I have an 02 & the donor truck is an 01 ....everything should just be drop and rebolt on ... right...?????
Old 04-18-2013, 03:35 PM   #1544
Señor member
Cr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shedCr250jumper is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Cr250jumper's Tacoma Gallery
Oh damn you
Old 04-18-2013, 05:37 PM   #1546
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Silas
Slodgetto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Ok so my question which I'm hopping som can answer is.... if I have an 02 & the donor truck is an 01 ....everything should just be drop and rebolt on ... right...?????
Yes. If the engines and transmissions are the same, it should all bolt up. You also have to look at whether or not both trucks have ABS, and wheelbase for the correct rear driveshaft. (Double cabs and ext cabs are the same, but reg cabs are different.)
Old 04-18-2013, 05:41 PM   #1547
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
It may be a little different since they are older, but at least on the newer automatic Toyota transmissions (not just Tacomas) the E is the 2wd tranny and the F is the 4wd tranny. ie A750E and A750F. They are identical trannies except for one thing. The A750E is setup to connect a driveshaft to the rear of it. The A750F is setup to connect a Tcase to the rear of it.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #1548
jesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to beholdjesus is a splendid one to behold

jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. If the engines and transmissions are the same, it should all bolt up. You also have to look at whether or not both trucks have ABS, and wheelbase for the correct rear driveshaft. (Double cabs and ext cabs are the same, but reg cabs are different.)
Yea I lucked out its the same truck but a year older ... I think it may have even been a trd like mine...sweet so all I need then is the mhubs & I'm set.....do ya know if it be easy to the electric or vacuums if I have everything. ..
Old 04-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #1549

jesus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
It may be a little different since they are older, but at least on the newer automatic Toyota transmissions (not just Tacomas) the E is the 2wd tranny and the F is the 4wd tranny. ie A750E and A750F. They are identical trannies except for one thing. The A750E is setup to connect a driveshaft to the rear of it. The A750F is setup to connect a Tcase to the rear of it.
Well my truck is sold as 2002 but was may nov I think of 2001....
Old 04-18-2013, 07:56 PM   #1550
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I just checked out wikipedia and interestingly enough all of the 4wd vehicles that use the A340 tranny use the F version except the Tacoma. All of 2wd versions of those vehicles (4runner, Tundra, T-100, pickup) use the E version and it says the 4wd Tacoma uses the E version as well. I wonder how that works. haha
Old 04-19-2013, 06:57 AM   #1552
Formally afroman5015
bellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbellassaiw10 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31B 1132 MP Co.
bellassaiw10's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I just checked out wikipedia and interestingly enough all of the 4wd vehicles that use the A340 tranny use the F version except the Tacoma. All of 2wd versions of those vehicles (4runner, Tundra, T-100, pickup) use the E version and it says the 4wd Tacoma uses the E version as well. I wonder how that works. haha
4wd uses A340F got mine off of a 4runner
Old 04-19-2013, 07:08 AM   #1553

Quote:
Originally Posted by afroman5015 View Post
4wd uses A340F got mine off of a 4runner
Yeah, it says the 4wd 4runner uses the A340F. Says the 4wd Taco uses the A340E, although I wouldn't be surprised if that is wrong. haha Plus this is enough proof for me to say play it safe and get the A340F.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #1554
Über Posre
Slodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlodgetto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
You may be right... I always thought my 4x4 transmission was an A340E like my PreRunner trans because the ID tag on the side says "30-40LE." I'm now thinking this is actually the AISIN code and is the same on A340E and A340Fs, whereas the Toyota code is the A340E or F (E being the 2wd version and F being the 4wd version.) After all, the only differences between the two transmissions is the tail housing, the output shaft and the location of the speedo sensor. And the 03/04 versions have the fly-by-wire speedo sensors...

I think the grimmjeeper gear calculator threw me off since it lists the A340Es as used in 98-01 tacomas and the A340Fs as used in 02-present....... (lol) Pretty sure that's incorrect I wish I had a copy of the FSM to see if I can get more clarification on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesus View Post
Yea I lucked out its the same truck but a year older ... I think it may have even been a trd like mine...sweet so all I need then is the mhubs & I'm set.....do ya know if it be easy to the electric or vacuums if I have everything. ..
Nice, man. All you need is manual hubs? Did the donor truck have manual hubs? Just a heads up, but if the donor truck does not have manual hubs, you will also have to source some different spindles, and CV axles. And you won't need the electric/vacuum solenoids for the ADD (auto differential disconnect) actuator.

EDIT: Just remembered your donor truck is an 01, so that means it definitely doesn't have manual hubs. If you want them you will need to find some spindles that came off a 95.5-00 Tacoma that had manual hubs (these spindles have 6 extra little studs to mount the manual hub body) and some CV axles meant for manual hubs (the outer stub shaft is different than the ADD version--splined all the way vs. threaded end). Ideally, you want to find a diff half tube without an ADD actuator as well (since it's not needed and just more little parts to deal with) but the ADD half tube off the donor truck will work with a simple hose clamp conversion to lock the actuator shifting fork in 'lock' position.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #1555
Über Posre

Welp, the skid plates pass inspection!

Old 04-22-2013, 09:59 AM   #1557
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDtrucks View Post
Silas, when you sell this pig promise us that in the near future when you get back into 4x4 land you buy another taco (preferably for cheap) and just jump right to building a solid axle crawler?
That's the plan!! Maybe even find a taco with a blown engine for a few hundred bucks, and do an ls conversion at the same time.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #1559
Just out for a rip are ya bud?
IDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shedIDtrucks is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
IDtrucks's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's the plan!! Maybe even find a taco with a blown engine for a few hundred bucks, and do an ls conversion at the same time.
an ls swap...shoot for the moon right? might as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
At this rate..no one will buy this thing for the price he want...so I'm thinking the dragon is just gonna get sac...
good
Old 04-22-2013, 01:07 PM   #1560
Über Posre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackdawg View Post
At this rate..no one will buy this thing for the price he want...so I'm thinking the dragon is just gonna get sac...
Yeah price is too high, will be lowering within the week.. I was mostly just trying to gauge interest. So far, only got one offer for a trade. Can you guys see me driving around a blue 2003 Infiniti g35 with chrome wheels? Twas a sweet car, but not for me...