Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Brian's K.I.S.S. build

Old 05-30-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
brianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
brianpdx's Tacoma Gallery
Keeping it simple. That's where I am with my white '99 access cab, TRD, SR5 4x4 rig. I bought it in July of last year with ~144k on the odometer. It replaced a Chevy S-10 ZR2 that was literally falling apart around me. It's going to be a long, long time before I trust another GM product. Well, if a Z06 or ZR1 presented itself, I might change my mind...

Here it is the day I bought it. It was so clean! It still is, mostly...

First mod? Floor mats. I wasn't totally shocked that it didn't have them, but was a little disappointed. OEM carpet mats was (and is) what I prefer. I simultaneously added Weathertech in-channel vent visors.

Next up was a TRD leather shift knob. I know, important mod, right?! The stocker was finely polished and just plain slick and gross to use. The TRD version has a nice grainy leather feel to it and I really like the exposed stitching. I'm sorta on the fence about the TRD logo, but what're you gonna do.

Which brings me to today (or yesterday). I'd been piecing together the following components by watching sales from various vendors since August of last year:

Toytec/Eibach coils
Light Racing UCAs
Bilstein 5100s all the way around
2" Toytec (Deaver) AAL
Front differential drop
BPV relocation bracket
SS rear brake line
16" 2nd gen Tacoma TRD wheels ($175 for all 4 on craigslist, gotta love it!)
265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs (load range C, the 6 ply tires)

... and it all came together. I'm thrilled with the result. The ride is so much better than stock. Gone is the front end sloppiness Tacomas are seemingly plagued with.

Before:

After:

Next?
- Line-X bedliner
- Smittybilt steps (I don't need sliders, as I don't do any hardcore wheeling)
- Keyless entry and perhaps an amp, better speakers and a conservative sub.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
nice clean build. has all the essentials and keepin it simple.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
brianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shedbrianpdx is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Thanks Jon. I prefer a conservative look. Bedliner got sprayed in yesterday. Bullet Liner (local LineX guy switched brands).

Old 06-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
may have to do this

how much it run you?
Old 06-10-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
$385. "Wholesale" pricing due to my government affiliation. Which, for the record, I didn't exploit, I just happened to mention that I knew the shop's info because he does the LineX (or used to, rather) all of our rigs. Standard price in his shop is $409 for our size beds.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:54 AM   #6
Added Smittybilt Sure-Step nerf bars in black yesterday. I have no need for sliders (and wasn't really interested in spending 3x as much for a decent set) so these fit the bill perfectly. For steps... they're pretty beefy. Wouldn't stand up to any kind of a trail run, but I simply don't have that need. Recommended! (If your needs are similar...)

Old 08-02-2012, 07:43 PM   #7
ilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant futureilove_taco_ma has a brilliant future

ilove_taco_ma's Tacoma Gallery
gotta love the cleanness.
Old 08-03-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
tristen is on a distinguished road
Name: Tristen
tristen's Tacoma Gallery
How much did you manage to pick those tires up for and from where?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #9
ilove: thanks!
tristen: After the mail-in rebate, they were $223 each.