Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

RMAN808's Build

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #21
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweezy View Post
i love that needle mod...
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarotto View Post
dood me too but i feel like im gonna fuck something up
Me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMAN808 View Post
Here you go fellas! http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st...eedle-mod.html

Jon, it really isn't that bad. The only PITA is that you gotta have time and patience when trying to re-calibrate the needles I tried my best and got it to just around 1mph off.
I have no idea how the needles attach to the gauge so this is just shooting from my hip:

Isn't there just a way to put them back on when the truck is off and have the needle rest against that post? Isn't that "0 mph"
Old 06-05-2012, 07:43 AM   #22
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Reid
RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
Isn't there just a way to put them back on when the truck is off and have the needle rest against that post? Isn't that "0 mph"
I'm gonna say no although that is exactly what I thought also. The only ones I could truly get near as accurate was the RPM and Temp needles. But I think the needles are spring loaded so once you remove it from the cluster it rotates more making it "uncalibrated" (if that makes sense).

So I started the truck and put the needle on at 0 mph but it was still off so I had to drive around a bit at around 15 mph or so to kinda get it close. And for the fuel gauge, I filled up the tank and estimated it just above the F, but still no luck. It's accurate now, only after I ran that tank til there was no more gas and had stalled on the side of the road.

I guess after resisting against the post after being on E for a long time recalibrated it to where I know I'd have no gas. Sorry for the long post
Old 06-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #23
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
I'm gonna say no although that is exactly what I thought also. The only ones I could truly get near as accurate was the RPM and Temp needles. But I think the needles are spring loaded so once you remove it from the cluster it rotates more making it "uncalibrated" (if that makes sense).

So I started the truck and put the needle on at 0 mph but it was still off so I had to drive around a bit at around 15 mph or so to kinda get it close. And for the fuel gauge, I filled up the tank and estimated it just above the F, but still no luck. It's accurate now, only after I ran that tank til there was no more gas and had stalled on the side of the road.

I guess after resisting against the post after being on E for a long time recalibrated it to where I know I'd have no gas. Sorry for the long post
Don't be sorry.

I guess I'm also confused as to how you physically calibrate the needles.

You're driving at 15 mph and literally futzing around with removing and reinstalling the needles?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:19 PM   #24
S)(AKALO)(AWAII
RMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMAN808 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Don't be sorry.

I guess I'm also confused as to how you physically calibrate the needles.

You're driving at 15 mph and literally futzing around with removing and reinstalling the needles?
Yea that's exactly it. Maybe calibrate was the wrong word. Let's say "resetting" the needles
Old 06-05-2012, 05:26 PM   #25

Quote:
Yea that's exactly it. Maybe calibrate was the wrong word. Let's say "resetting" the needles
You're resetting the needles while actually driving?

I'm gonna cross that mod off my list
Old 06-05-2012, 06:58 PM   #26
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You're resetting the needles while actually driving?

I'm gonna cross that mod off my list
In a big EMPTY parking lot, while the gf keeps an eye on the GPS
Old 06-05-2012, 08:23 PM   #27

Quote:
In a big EMPTY parking lot, while the gf keeps an eye on the GPS
Big empty parking lot: check

GPS: check

Girlfriend....

Hey, have you started the front end swap yet? If so, how's it going?
Old 06-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #28
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Having a tough time making a decision. Maybe some of you can help

Option 1:
Spend about $450ish on most of the rest of the parts for the 01-04 front end swap. Purchase to upgrade looks.

OR

Option 2:
Spend $500 flat on wheels and tires that are only a few months old (pretty new). The tires are Cooper Radial M/T Mud Claws with some black off road wheels that look kinda like this:
Old 06-06-2012, 11:48 PM   #29
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Option 1:
Spend about $450ish on most of the rest of the parts for the 01-04 front end swap. Purchase to upgrade looks.

OR

Option 2:
Spend $500 flat on wheels and tires that are only a few months old (pretty new). The tires are Cooper Radial M/T Mud Claws with some black off road wheels that look kinda like this:

thats really hard decision
Old 06-06-2012, 11:53 PM   #30
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacomarotto View Post

thats really hard decision
Tell me about it!

I can't decide. The tires/wheels would be more of a functional benefit because the other wheels I bought couple weeks ago cause rubbing and sketchy shaking at certain speeds. I also would have eventually needed to get new tires.

Damn it! IDK!
Old 06-06-2012, 11:55 PM   #31
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
But the $450 ish for the swap parts doesn't include the bumper parts either. I was thinking if I went this route then just leave it bare from the grille down until I can afford a tube bumper or something. MAYBE.
Old 06-06-2012, 11:59 PM   #32
"Change is inevitable, but growth is optional."
tacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomarotto is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
tacomarotto's Tacoma Gallery
when i cant make a decision like this. ill tell you what i do.

make a pros and cons list. everything you will benefit and dont like of each choice... then weigh them.

helps me
Old 06-07-2012, 12:01 AM   #33
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like a plan. I'll let you know the outcome haha.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:23 AM   #35
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
They actually lasted a couple months. My lack of patience when spraying it most likely resulted in when I ended up peeling em off. I think I did 2 thick coats and that's about it. Some spots started coming off due to crappy spray job and pressure washer at the car wash. I took them off because I was planning on doing it with real paint (Rustoleum High Perf. Enamel) but I just recently picked up some aftermarket wheels.

The key is to do several light coats so that it sticks good to the wheel and also will make it easier when removing. It was a bitch for me
Ah. Thanks for getting back to me!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:26 AM   #36
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by COMAtose HI View Post
Get the tires and wheels!!!
Thanks for the input killah! I'll update with the result after this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
Ah. Thanks for getting back to me!
No problem man! Hope it helps. There's also a PLASTI-DIP MEGA THREAD to ask other members for advice about it
Old 06-07-2012, 09:56 AM   #37
Um, I don't have a "member"
Cheehoo is on a distinguished road

Name: Angela
Cheehoo's Tacoma Gallery
My braddah has a 1st gen and just put the same kine rims you just wen show... buggah look pretty cherry. He put swampers on (Only Molokai, right?) and looks pretty good. Nice truck!
Old 06-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #38

Quote:

Option 1:

OR

Option 2:
You just got new wheels a week ago, right?

Plus you still have you awesome blacked out stock wheels.

If it were me, I'd put the money towards the 01-04 conversion... then again I would convert it to a 95-97 front end which costs considerably less.

With the difference in cost you can also purchase sliders or other used tires.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:58 AM   #39
S)(AKALO)(AWAII

RMAN808's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheehoo View Post
My braddah has a 1st gen and just put the same kine rims you just wen show... buggah look pretty cherry. He put swampers on (Only Molokai, right?) and looks pretty good. Nice truck!
Haha mahalos! Yea I'm still deciding whether to go with the swap or the tires and wheels. I think I'm leaning more toward the footwear
Old 06-07-2012, 09:59 AM   #40

Quote:
Tell me about it!

I can't decide. The tires/wheels would be more of a functional benefit because the other wheels I bought couple weeks ago cause rubbing and sketchy shaking at certain speeds. I also would have eventually needed to get new tires.

Damn it! IDK!
Didn't read this.

Safety/function first.

I'd throw the stock wheels on (they look sick) and get a set of new tires.

Products Discussed in this Thread