Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Builds > 1st Gen. Builds

Notices

Urban Escape Camp Road Tripper

Old 01-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #81
The Rembrandt of Rattle Can
Madjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shedMadjik_Man is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Madjik_Man's Tacoma Gallery
hokiru

sorry if you resolved this, I've only made it through the first page, but the reason why your midbass may sound like shit is because I believe you added too much Ensolite behind the front drivers. You're only supposed to put a 6x6" or so piece back there to break up the back wave. Anything more will drastically reduce your midbass.

I'm also curious how your interior door handles went back on. I too sound deadened my door panels (and rear wall/rear quarter) with Raamat and Ensolite and I couldn't for the life of me get the door handle barbs (for lack of a better word) to slide back into place. So as of now it's just that one tiny screw holding it in place. And I didn't use nearly as much material as you did.

Sick build btw... on to page 2
Old 01-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #82
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by w00dy View Post
I personally love those stock Tacoma rims you have. I've been browsing CL for a set myself. Anyway... Your build is AWESOME! Have you had to use the warn much? How do you like it?
Yeah I actually like them a lot too. I think they are cool looking for stock wheels but deep lip black steelies look best IMO. But it is kind of cool that the truck still looks pretty stock with the stock wheels, depends what you're going for. What matters if they WORK and a FREE, and look just fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom View Post
Just had to do the same thing. Bolts are Part #91642-81235 if you're looking to stick close to factory parts. They are the shorter ones used for the recovery bracket on the driver side.
Thank you! That's really helpful, I appreciate it. I accidentally gave reputation to Woody up there instead of you, I'll add to your profile.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:58 PM   #83
hokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shedhokiruu is one of the sharper tools in the shed

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madjik_Man View Post
hokiru

sorry if you resolved this, I've only made it through the first page, but the reason why your midbass may sound like shit is because I believe you added too much Ensolite behind the front drivers. You're only supposed to put a 6x6" or so piece back there to break up the back wave. Anything more will drastically reduce your midbass.

I'm also curious how your interior door handles went back on. I too sound deadened my door panels (and rear wall/rear quarter) with Raamat and Ensolite and I couldn't for the life of me get the door handle barbs (for lack of a better word) to slide back into place. So as of now it's just that one tiny screw holding it in place. And I didn't use nearly as much material as you did.

Sick build btw... on to page 2
Yeah I think you could be right. The sub enclosures dont fit perfectly and need to be redone, but it certainly doesn't sound bad for now. I just kind of got burnt out on the audio install after working on it almost non stop for a week and it sounds pretty good for now. I'll be re-doing it again eventually.

Oh, in the meantime...

I bought a supercharger. Oops.

More to come.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:15 PM   #84

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
tundra brake upgrade ordered. I should have just waited to get that before getting the 33s. I havent even taken a pic of them and already need to order new shoes to fit the tundra brakes.

anyone want some almost brand new 33x10.5 Toyo open country MTs?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #85

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
One of the reasons I havent been wheeling or working on it that much is I have been busting my ass looking for new work.

Well, today I landed a new job, at a very cool company. They met my requested salary plus $5500 bonus. It's about 30 min from Hollister

Looks like I'll be moving farther south, out of SF. Opposite direction from the snow, but I can surf and mtn bike more often instead, and get a nice house with a big garage hopefully. Upward career momentum, more nature, more wheeling, more building my vehicles, more $, more win.

Things are looking good.
Old 02-14-2013, 04:53 PM   #86

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Look what the FedEx guy brought today

Old 02-14-2013, 07:01 PM   #87
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good man! I like that memory foam setup in the back, looks awesome!

Haven't been on here in a long time, my tires are still holding up great. They are sick on street, not noisy at all, but offroad they are insanely grippy. They kick ass at low psi, riding on marshmallows dude.

Stock rims FTW! Steelies just look like any other dude in a jeep imo..
Old 02-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #88

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Ha! Thanks. I love the Toyos and stock 15s. But most likely I'll have to switch to 16s since I just bought tundra brakes. In the mentime I am putting Centric Posi Quiet and StopTech stainless lines to see if that help until I get around to the Tundra upgrade
Old 02-15-2013, 04:19 PM   #89

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery

Big brakes!
Old 03-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #91
lonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to alllonzorizo is a name known to all

Name: Lonnie
lonzorizo's Tacoma Gallery
Love what you've done man I'm jealous of that SC!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:24 AM   #92
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
What a great build you have going! Nice that you can move out of the city, COL is just ridiculous in SF, and with your move adjustment, $ can be put towards better things rather than housing, toll and parking issues, and just the overall nasty bay area traffic.

Start saving that extra $ for premium gas with the SC upgrade (I drooled a little bit when you took a pic of it), still probably worth it though with all the extra sh*t you will be adding and hauling!
Old 03-29-2013, 12:28 AM   #93

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the comments. In the meantime I have been super busy moving while starting my new job. Even my 40min. commute is really enjoyable, one of several ways through some beautiful mountains. It's nice in any weather and any time of the day. So far I'm loving everything, the SC area, great new job, nice new house, just havent had time to do any work on my vehicles until I get settled in. All I do is work, try to get some exercise, come home and BBQ on my new grill, unpack, spend some time with my lady and pass out, repeat. I'm also putting a COP ignition in my Evo and replacing the fuel pump again, got a roof rack for the Taco.

Besides the SC and Tundra brakes, I have some other cool ideas in mind for the next work. It may involve seats, alternative fuel, and some other things.

I still need to ship the rear bumper back to Tim @ Elite. Only reason I havent is it buried behind boxes of more urgent to unpack shit in my garage.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 AM   #94

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
My auto transmission let go at 199,987 miles. I am not sure what to do. With the supercharger here I am thinking about an upgraded rebuild but may just fix it to stock specs with a few minor valve mods and cooler, or just to stock and not install the supercharger. Of course we all want to see the supercharger on the truck. But with all the expenses I have right now (worst few months of my life!) and that fact that I use and need the truck as my DD I'm not very motivated to turn it into a big project right now. I have the money but shouldnt spend it on all that right now, and I definitely don't have the time to do much myself. If I did I would need to buy another truck right now, and three vehicles is kind of ridiculous for me. Plus having to run premium all the time and still having only 300>hp for $70</tank and the fact that I want to use it for overlanding one day makes that seem like a questionable idea since 91 isn't available everywhere, say some parts of Baja. That $ and work starts making Tundras and turbo diesels pretty attractive performance alternatives. I may need to take a ride in a SC TAco to get me motivated. Any offers?

Looking into my options, I know about Marlin and Level Ten and their service and kits. Are there any other big opportunities to do something awesome while I repair or replace the tranny besides this? I may just rebuild it like stock, but in case I need to replace it are there some A340F that are more desirable or different?
Old 04-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #95
blknblubkrdude is on a distinguished road
blknblubkrdude's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to hear about your transmission! What are you currently considering?

BTW, your truck is one of my fav's on the forum!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #96

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
I got the truck back from Scotts Valley Transmission on Friday. I described what I wanted and they rebuilt the tranny with some new plates, new shift program, valve body, and trans oil cooler. It should stand up to more abuse now, including the supercharger if I decide to use it. It shifts pretty firm and is definitely stronger than stock. I was advised to keep OD off when I'm not on the highway to extend the lifespan of the transmission. Should be good for another 200k miles + if I treat it well.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #97
BigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant futureBigOly has a brilliant future

BigOly's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiruu View Post
I got the truck back from Scotts Valley Transmission on Friday. I described what I wanted and they rebuilt the tranny with some new plates, new shift program, valve body, and trans oil cooler. It should stand up to more abuse now, including the supercharger if I decide to use it. It shifts pretty firm and is definitely stronger than stock. I was advised to keep OD off when I'm not on the highway to extend the lifespan of the transmission. Should be good for another 200k miles + if I treat it well.
With all that work you already put into your rig that's great news! Glad to see that everything is back in full operation!
Old 04-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #98
Toyota Addict
Trowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shedTrowbocop is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Trowbocop's Tacoma Gallery
That's great news! Stoked for you man.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:07 AM   #99

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks. Yeah I never really used to turn OD off and now it's like a whole new level of gas guzzling revs and fun. Now it's time to go run Hollister hills since I'm so close and the truck is finally ready enough.

STILL need to ship back the Elite rear bumper to have it fixed so I can get that thing in and then Ill really be ready to romp
Old 05-31-2013, 06:44 AM   #100

hokiruu's Tacoma Gallery
Did some wheeling with my buddy Jace in Hollister for Memorial Day weekend. This was my first time really wheeling it and I made some stupid noob mistakes but had a great time and learned a lot. We did a lot more interesting stuff than I have pics of but I was having too much fun driving to stop and take pics and video all the time.

And then I got stuck

"I dont need to get pulled I have a winch!"

Oops...Not anymore... Lack of proper communication=this

My hands are't small enough to get the line back on.

This things sketches me out

Beautiful view from up top

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps9f6ba864.jpg
Buddies trucks

Jace is rolling my old MTRs. Kind of made me miss them.

Then I got stuck again

Back at camp

I'll try to upload videos when I have more time.

Lessons learned: More spotting, better communication