1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Phslion's Regular Cab Build

Discussion in '1st Gen. Builds (1995-2004)' started by Phslion, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Jul 16, 2012 at 6:13 PM
    Phslion

Phslion [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    Ok thought id throw one of these together.

The Beginning:

What I started with was a 2000 Toyota Tacoma SR5 with 58000 miles, 2.7 Manual with Firestone Destination LE 265/70R15s.

[​IMG]

Not to bad imo. And that's my Finance smiling. (Its really her truck atm... :cool: my aunt sold it to us at a great deal right before this)

Not Much happens except we add a free shell i got from a brother in law off his work truck. Just need to fix rear window that had torn off the hinge( btw ARE is terrible, they wanted me to buy a complete rear window assembly, screw that; took the hinge apart, some JB weld and rivets and is good as new.)

68r2h4_1eab62c1f471769df5f88b0ff2cdfc994e1d51e1.jpg

Now my Driveway is sloped but the rear springs are shot, the extra weight of the shell and another year really started to take its toll on the suspension.

Now for a year ive been reading Tacoma forums pretty regularly waiting for the extra cash to start some projects.

Things ive done:

I did the Deck-plate mod, the only difference was that i plastic welded a computer fan shroud into the opening to block the big stuff. looks decent, sounds louder, little more pep i think, but don't think any difference in MPG. wife already had bought a K&N filter.

New Denso Spark Plugs and NGK Blue wires as preventative maintenance. Feels tad smoother idle.

Changed all Gear Fluid. Put WallyWorld Synth blend in diff's and MT-90 in TC & MT. was hard to shift in winter, i hope this helps.

Put a Marlin Crawler Shift seat in. Was having trouble shifting, some play in shifter. this helped i think.

Goodbye 15" hello 17" FJ rims and 255/75R17 BFG MT Tires. ( Sorry for bad pics, maybe this week end ill take better pictures if people want ).

258mjbc_bce5f005a82bb037c59b2e52190bad3ca1ad5ea3.jpg

Wasn't to pricey as this as take offs for people pimping their rides. So far there great, they are louder than before but thats to be expected. Feel more nimble driving around now. and shifting and gearing feels better.

And just tonight i got some ebay black-out Headlights.

21189wg_4e808a56a39f6a46e18ccf1376c72193de3e1f3e.jpg

Looks much better. :cool: Just need to re-aim the lights.

Future Mods.

Suspension:

I have sitting in my spare room a box of OME Suspension Parts front and rear. after alot of agony i just bit the bullet and bought the 881 Sport kit from Low-range off-road here in utah. Im a bit nervous because i wasn't sure if the 881s were to much for my regular cab. If i were to buy again though id probably go wheelers, they give you alot more in their kit. I played alot with going with 5100s and rebuilding my own rear leafs but one thing i have learned is do it right the first time.

I also have moog ball joints ill install at the same time.

And another big undertaking, im going to Por15 the entire chassis in hopes of stopping this terrible surface rust. seriously looks worse than my 82 Mercedes 300sd. I inspected the frame nothing major no holes or anything, tried having the dealership inspect it but the idiot lady behind the counter claimed the rust extension didn't apply to it and it had been taken care of in 2002. oh well i figure ill do a better job than what they could.

Exterior:

Satoshi grill is in the works with lights behind.

Fix some minor dents before they rust badly.

Over a year away, but i want to make a shell top basket that comes up from the bed like a exoskeleton over the shell but doesn't touch it. Maybe put my tire mount and hijack mounts up there. its just an idea at this point though.

Ill post more as i do them.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    Dalandser likes this.
  2. Jul 18, 2012 at 9:37 PM
    Mexicant

Mexicant Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    B
    Crawlerado
    Vehicle:
    Braap
    Looks like you're off to a good start. I like the FJ wheels a lot. :thumbsup: I just did OME 880's and the wheeler 3 leaf AAL on mine, man the ride is so much better than stock an sits much nicer. :D

3. Aug 25, 2012 at 11:25 AM
    plamore

plamore Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Fairfax, Virginia
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Offroad
    D-ring tow hitch insert (red)
    I hear POR15 is great, have you tried it yet? Also you can fog your headlights at home. Just ad a few drops of black paint to clearcoat and spray it on... And walla!

4. Aug 27, 2012 at 11:52 AM
    Phslion

Phslion [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    No I have never used it. I just finished moving into a new place with a garage, so I can start working on these projects ive been postponing.

5. Feb 14, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    Phslion

Phslion [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2000 SR5
    Long delayed update. Found camera with some pictures and remembered i never updated this thread.

Got Lift installed.

Purchased main kit from Lowrange offroad here in utah, service was ok but a tad lacking. Have been getting the rest of my stuff from wheelers offroad and they are awesome imo.

2ut446x_eb02f201e388dbdceb50365666d85de801c1d9b5.jpg

2a94qpw_544b9e3b1e7aecc4613d0599ce1ae3c3713341f0.jpg

2lj3xnt_fc8e212660c097b2dc2c8c8cb9201c651962fdbb.jpg

New vs Old.
    21nqoi1_1c2cbc94980075711853b73f4e338814f2be9e05.jpg

Umm overall not to many Problems. Alignment is off slightly, , and will be until weather warms a bit and i have money for light racing UCA, and new unfrozen tie rods installed. then i should be spot on.

As far as how the lift is its great right amount of height. But maybe a tad to firm/harsh without the shell on. Idk maybe i need to take out the second overload leaf from the rear springs.

I have removed the sway bar and it did help the ride.

Also have one of BAMF BPV braket installed. works great.

Umm ill try and get some better pictures up later.

Also sadly some idiot hit my truck while we were in church the other week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

id say the toyota won. idiot kid tried to run but local police somehow stumbled upon the pile of his grill on the ground and followed his trail a block over to his house and cited him for hit and run.

Dalandser likes this.
  6. Feb 14, 2013 at 6:02 PM
    01GREENTACO

01GREENTACO Not all who wander are lost

Member:
    Germantown, TN
    Vehicle:
    01 4WD
    Lost track many, many mods ago.
    Just goes to show you that it's stupid to hit and run..

Products Discussed in

To Top